An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drink 8-8oz Glasses Of Water a Day

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by pandabear1991, Mar 12, 2015.

1. pandabear1991

pandabear1991 Active Contributor

I could not stress how changing my daily water intake helped me to recover. I have heard doctors say to drink at least 8-8oz glasses of water a day often, and usually I drank at least 3 day every day, but during and after my recovery I started making sure to drink what was recommended. I also cut all cokes and sweetened beverages, but this had a lot more to do with my unhealthy family history that runs on both sides of the family. Ultimately making sure I drank the 8 glasses a day resulted in a healthier me physically and mentally.

1. I stopped getting random headaches/migraines. I have come to believe (before medication detox) these were previously due to dehydration (doesn't take much to become dehydrated and the medication warned of dehydration side effects).
    2. My joints/muscles stopped aching as much, I didn't feel sluggish all the time.
    3. I started substituting junk-food cravings with a small glass of water (or fruit infused water like cucumber/lemon/mint) to help with binge eating and to keep from gaining weight.
    4. The red/purple/dark rings around my eyes lightened up drastically, face no longer carries a sunken look.
    5. Body odor not so quick to stink.
    6. Belly flab is no longer stretchy.
    7. Energy levels/metabolism stay pretty regular (diet helps as well).
    8. Food digests much easier and much faster.
    9. I have found that forcing myself to full glass of water before making a big decision, when upset, or before starting a new tasks helps me to think more positively and level headed. My thoughts don't seem to rush as much either.

These are personal changes that I noticed within myself when sticking to the daily recommendation. If you drink the daily recommended, have you noticed any changes in your health as well?
    stariie likes this.
  2. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I drink the recommended dosage of water when it's summertime over here and it's too hot unintentionally, just because I'm always thirsty, but when it's not summer anymore, I don't drink as much water. I never feel any change though, maybe if I do that everyday I will.
  3. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Since I quit smoking I have craved a nice cold glass of ice water at night. I do not drink near the amount of water I should each day, but the ice water I drink before bed tastes so good. I noticed that I started to crave water more once I quit. Maybe because it tastes so crisp and clean.
    stariie likes this.
  4. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

Starting today I'm drinking the eight glasses of water. I have been drinking and eating junk food and feel as if I have no energy. I'm cutting it out so I can feel more better. I'm tired of feeling sluggish.
    stariie likes this.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I agree. Water is very essential to people, and definitely help struggling addicts to recover. It flushes out toxins from our body and makes our internal organs function well. Thus, we benefit a lot from it, definitely making us way healthier.
    stariie likes this.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I read somewhere once that drinking 8 glasses of water a day wasn't really necessary and it was just a myth, but nonetheless keeping hydrated is still very important. It just feels different, not only internally but also skin looks and feels a lot healthier when the person is well hydrated.
  7. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I love water, although I don't drink as much as I should. All the benefits you mentioned are great, and I have experienced a couple of those same benefits when my water intake is up to where it should be.
    One thing I also discovered about drinking more water is the effect that it has on the vitamins that I take. Vitamins I take consistently are ones for my nails. I notice that if I take the vitamins but don't drink a lot of water, there is very little change in my nails.
    However, if I take the same amount of vitamins during the day, and up my water intake, my fingernails grow really fast, much faster than with just water alone or vitamins alone.
    Made me realize that I need to drink a lot of water to 'activate' the vitamins to get the most out of them.
  8. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

Drinking the right amount of water is admirable and very recommended. I do want to remind our guys here that moderation is the key to everything. Keep in mind:

The only thing that makes a substance poisonous is the quantity.

This is true for everything from Arsenic to our good friend, H2O. There is an amount of arsenic you can safely take, and there is also an unsafe amount of water which will make you sick. It's called Water Intoxication.

You can read more about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
    Rosyrain likes this.
  9. Rosyrain

There are news stories about people who have actually died from drinking too much water, but it was huge amounts in a very short period of time. If I recall right, there was a radio contest in California in which contestants drank gallons of water and one person ended up dying from it. I don't think you have anything to worry about of you just stagger your water consumption through the day. My rule of thumb is that if you start to feel real bloated, you are drinking too much.
    stariie likes this.
  10. froggy666

froggy666 Member

I remember that, I think it was around Christmas time and the woman that passed was trying to win a wii for her children. It's heartbreaking to think about.

But on the tip of feeling bloated, another easy way is to check the color of your urine (I know it sounds weird) but if it's clear you should stop drinking. On the opposite of the spectrum, if it's to dark drink more as it means dehydration.
  11. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I agree with you here about staggering the water consumption throughout the day. Too much at one time is not good.
    I find it very helpful to me to have a written water schedule, reminding me to drink water. Sometimes if I don't use it, I won't drink enough, but it also stops the risk of me drinking too much.
  12. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Water is essential to our life. Without water our body organs will not be cleanse from the toxins that we are putting into bodies. If we are not drinking the right amount of water that our body needs for proper functioning and processes we will feel dehydrated and lack of energy. But take it in moderation only. If you will follow this as part of your daily regimen you will surely notice changes in your overall health.
  13. Rosyrain

I really enjoy ice cold water if I am going to drunk it. Room temperature water tastes funny to me and you can really taste the minerals and other additives that your water contains. I have a little less water because I like to sip it ice cold. Too much cold water and my teeth start to get sensitive and hurt.
  14. Femiluv

Femiluv Active Contributor

Water and body odour?? That's definitely the first time I've heard that, but I'm not surprised that is the case. I probably drink around 1 glass a day and substitute with a lot of juice, which is not healthy at all. I've developed a habit of not liking the taste of water; and this hasn't always been been the case. I do notice that I feel so much healthier when I drink enough water.
  15. ABC123

ABC123 Member

It makes sense that individuals substitute a new bad habit for an old, when they crave the old. My husband during lent gives up doughnuts. He found he started to eat more chips during that time and stopped himself. Therefore choosing water to off set the craving is such a better habit. If you do it a month you made it a habit. Great attainable and low cost goal.
  16. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I get about 5 gallons of water a week. That's the water I get from my house, that doesn't include what I drink when I'm out and about. But yes it does all that you have mentoined in the OP. I like to think of it as flushing your system out of all that shouldn't be there.
  17. Water is essential to the general health of your body and also helps flush out impurities. I try to drink at least eight glasses of water per day, and I have also found that exercise plays a big role in making me feel better and stronger. I think that artificial sweeteners actually made me feel worse during my recovery. Artificial sweeteners are all chemical based and when going through recovery we are trying to rid our bodies of chemicals! I gave up soda all together when I was getting sober, and even now I prefer a glass of cold water to those chemically flavored drinks.
  18. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

The reason why doctors would always recommend constant water intake during the recovery stage is that fluids help flush out toxins and other substances stuck in our system. Once those substances are removed completely from the body, the individual's recovery is facilitated.