An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

DRINK WITH SMOKING

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by thisizznaveen, Mar 29, 2015.

1. thisizznaveen

thisizznaveen Active Contributor

Tell your experience about drink with smoking ?
    Its very Dangerous for Health. Discuss about this.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

That's quite a vague question but I'll try my best...

I smoked for many years and always found that I would smoke a lot more when I was having a drink. I think most people experience this and I believe it's because the alcohol triggers the desire for nicotine. All smoking is, of course, dangerous for health and alcohol can be just as bad if it is not drunk in moderation.
  3. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I did used to find that having an alcoholic drink would give me the urge to light one up more. There were times when I could go all day without smoking but then as soon as I had an alcoholic drink, before I'd even finished it I would want to smoke. Or do you mean Marijuana? I know people who often smoke Marijuana and drink alcohol together, although I also know many people who can't do it. They either drink or smoke because if they both it spins them out and they get sick.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    thisizznaveen likes this.
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I never liked the taste of alcohol, but I used to smoke weed and cigarettes. I never got addicted to both, but I noticed that I would sometimes feel an urge to smoke after I have eaten. As for weed, it made me happy in a silly kind of way, then after an hour or two since I smoked it, it will make me feel sad and depressed.
  5. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

I've heard this a million times over: I only smoke when I'm drinking/drunk. This really doesn't mean that's the only time the person smokes but it is the time that they smoke the most. Smoking & social situations seem to go hand in hand. When you're out drinking & relaxing with friends & they go out for a smoke you're most likely to follow.
  6. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

Duh! Harmful + harmful does not equal harmless! It's not rocket science to understand that! Of course it is dangerous!
  7. rightct

rightct Community Champion

When I used to smoke, my body wouldn't really make a tolerance for this combination of drinking and smoking. Whenever I reached my local bar with a couple of friends, this combination would give me terrible nausea that persisted for about 3 hours. It wasn't really hurting me, but rather bothersome. So, I quit drinking in the favour of tobacco, as the former didn't really touch me as thoroughly as the latter did. I felt alright for quite some time, in spite of my entourage pressure of going back to that habit. Afterwards, I managed to quit smoking, too, like I've already mentioned in another thread, and I feel very healthy now!
  8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Drinking and smoking can cripple families. Those addictions can take a toll on your finances.
    When I was little my parents used to spend at least 400$/month on drinking and smoking, and it really made me very uncomfortable. They used to smoke and drink a lot and it also made me fall into a very bad addiction.
    I don't wish this to anyone, even my worst enemies.
  9. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I smoke regularly and drink occasionally and notice that when I drink I tend to smoke more. I actually know people who only smoke when they are drinking. I don't know if the connection is psychological or physical, but I known it exists.
  10. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

That's an unhealthy combination for your body. Remember those are two different types of drugs being ingested simultaneously so the repercussions are going to be adverse. I think the body can cope with a little bit of alcohol in your system but for nicotine, i would rather stay without.
  11. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

When I was still drinking alcohol, I noticed that my nicotine intake would sky-rocket. I would literally smoke one cigarette after the other while a drink was in front of me. Also, the peculiar things was that I hardly even noticed how much I was smoking. The cigarettes "went down" like honey. They even tasted sweet and delicious. How deluded I was, and how confused were my senses...
    stariie likes this.
  12. stariie

stariie Community Champion

For me, drinking and smoking would be something that I would find pleasure in, if it was that type of 'party' going on. Drinking hard liquor in larger than necessary quantities always made me want to eat something, and smoke, and things sometimes didn't feel quite complete if I didn't do both at the same time.

I've outgrown that though, and I like not being a slave to smoking. The "slavery" involved in smoking always bothered me. I could be minding my own business, going about my day, and the urge to smoke would pull me away from whatever I was doing, and I'd 'have' to go and smoke, costing me hours altogether in productivity.
    Glad I got over it, but it can still be a struggle to say no to a cigarette.
  13. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'm a smoker and I also find that I tend to smoke more when I am out having a drink as well. I'm not sure if there's a specific reason or if its just the fact that your out with friends, having a good time and so your more relaxed than usual. Then factor in the alcohol and if your friends smoke as well, then obviously they will be smoking more also and I guess it just snowballs from there.

I think you'll find this goes for most smokers who like a drink as well, its as if both addictions thrive off each other and obviously your will power will be at its lowest as well.
  14. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Well, when I was drinking and I was still smoking, I found it impossible to drink without a cigarette. I guess these two habits go hand-in-hand. And they also give you stomach pain, just like smoking + coffee does.
  15. mombee

mombee Member

For me smoking and drinking go hand in hand. If I was at a bar I felt awkward not smoking. It let my hands do something other than raise a glass. It allowed my not to have to focus on weather someone was watching me or not. If I was drinking or smoking I did not have to carry on a conversation,which usually makes me feel awkward. When I finally quite smoking after 15 years I also quite drinking. The main reason was for my daughter. The Doctors just let me know that I was so unhealthy. My skin,teeth,lungs and liver, I was a mess. So I think a lot of people correlate the two with one another. I also think a lot of smokers and drinkers do not realize the hazard it has on our lives.
  16. May102014

May102014 Active Contributor

Actually, drinking alcoholic beverages while smoking tobacco is very dangerous to our health. It slowly kill our lungs. One day, when me and my friends went to RestoBar and had drunk some beers and smoked. After less than an hour I felt dizzied and easily got drunk. I was supplicated and hardly to breathe due to smoke. My friends brought me home and since then I decided to quit smoking. Quit smoking now since you still have time to quit. Don't wait to get it worst.
  17. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

Drinking and smoking, oh it's a double whammy! I always smoked more, when I was having a booze. We were a bunch of 4 guys who sat together, to have a booze session. My boss and I were smoking heavily with each peg. Almost one stick every 10 minutes. I suppose smoking elevates the intoxication levels while drinking and hence the desire to smoke more goes up while drinking. Quit both before they get big on you.
  18. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

Drinking with smoking? I don't know what that means. Calicer1996 pretty summed it up. But just to add my own take on combining the habits, I always found smoking as a means to keep me from drinking too much. When I was smoking, I wouldn't just take shot after shot after shot. It helped in letting my friends catch up and by the end of the night, I wouldn't be as drunk had there been no smoking done. But that's just me. I don't really like mixing the taste of a cigarette and booze so I didn't smoke as much while drinking.
  19. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

I haven't tried smoking while drinking. I don't think my mom would want me to smoke.
  20. henry

henry Community Champion

To me, drinking and smoking is like pork and beans, they go together. Not smoking while drinking is really hard if you're a long time smoker. I really liked to mix things up, and loved to smoke cigs, weed, and do coke, all while I was drinking. These days I only drink once on weekends, but still smoke everyday.