An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drinking Alcohol to Sleep

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by anne16, Apr 12, 2015.

1. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

My father says he has to drink beer in order to sleep. He will drink upwards to 6 cans of beer a night as his form of sleep aid. I have asked him to please slow down but he feels its his God given right as an adult to do whatever he wants. I can see people using alcohol as a reason to help them sleep, but who wants to wake up hung over every morning?
  2. anne16

anne16 Active Contributor

Thank you for your kind words! It was hard but I've got to help myself first. I mean I have to be strong, I have my family who needs me to be.
  3. anne16

I agree, that is actually one of the reason it was easier for me to stop drinking, hung over. I hate it when I wake up the next day and I can't even walk straight. It was harder for me to stand up and prepare for work. Plus, it was harder to concentrate in the office when all you wanted to do was sleep in your bed.
  4. anne16

Same here, even if I only bought cheaper brands because those where the only ones I can afford, still, they took considerable amount from my purse, money which I should have spent on more important items. I'm glad those days were over. I mean, I still have financial worries but I am working on it and I use my time productively to solve my financial worries.
    Winterybella likes this.
  5. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I know of someone in a similar situation. In recent times the person has moved a little away from hard liquor to bottles of wines. He says it cools his head from the pressure he's constantly under. I worry that it's become an addictive behaviour. Anne I am glad you were able to put a stop to your dependency and I am hoping the person will do the same.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think many people have been in the same boat, using alcohol as a way to numb the stress of everyday life. I'm glad to hear you seem to have it under control now. As others have mentioned, it's good to work on different ways to aid sleep at night...limiting caffeine, warm baths (essential oils in them like lavender help me nod off pretty fast!!) and things like that are natural ways to help you not have that reliance on alcohol to get to sleep. Hope that things are looking up for you!
  7. anne16

Thank you too @Winterybella! I am happy too that I was able to realize my mistake before it consumed me. Right now, I feel better, though I still have some financial issues but I just got a promotion at work last week, so I hope everything will be fine soon! I hope that this person you know in a similar situation will realize it too.
  8. anne16

I agree, and I have also tried other ways to put myself to sleep without the alcohols. Like, I always have new books in my bed table, usually after ten or more pages, I'll fall into sleep. And I also cut my caffeine intake in half as I usually have 3 to 4 cups of brewed coffee before. These, and after a hard days work are now enough for me to sleep soundly.