An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drinking And Driving by Family and Friends?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by HalfBeard, Jan 1, 2016.

1. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Active Contributor

With the holidays having just ended, how do you guys prevent family and friends from drinking amd driving? At my house we let those who have had a good amount to drink sleep over, and no one really tries to make that dangerous decision.
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Luckily nobody in my family chooses to drink and drive. They always have a designated driver or call a cab. The police have been doing lots of road blocks through the holiday. If someone was at my house drinking I would definitely have them spend the night. Drinking and driving is not acceptable.
  3. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

It's not like it used to be.
    I remember if you called someone out for trying to drive while drunk, YOU were told to mind your own business.
    Now we understand how terrible this is (leading cause of criminal death in many places.)
    I think it's important to establish right off the get go that it will not be tolerated.
    "How are you getting home tonight" or "are you staying here and having a drink or are you staying sober" and even "if you have any beer tonight you have to take a cab home" are great ways to establish it will not be tolerated.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

No one in my family does drink, and drive. I agree with you. It's really dangerous. If one of your family members is drunk, discourage them to drive, instead, just let them sleep over at your house.
  5. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I like the idea of having the person just sleep over your house or call a cab. Being able to have a designated driver helps to solve problems ahead of time as long as the supposed driver doesn't drink. I bet cabs get busy during testing holiday season having to drive home drunk patrons.
  6. 6up

6up Community Champion

It is very dangerous to drive under influence of alcohol since alcohol can impair your judgement. One must never drink and drive. Most accidents have been related to drivers who drink and drive. If you have to go out drinking then consider having somebody else who don't drink to drive you home.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I'm fortunate in the sense that none of my family or close friends drink at festive celebrations anymore, really. Maybe one drink, and then someone who hasn't drunk is always the designated driver.

I think they are just aware of what damage it can do. There's no point risking your own life and the lives of others by getting behind the wheel when you've been drinking.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The best way to stop someone from drinking and driving if you are the person who hosted the party is to limit the drinks anyone gets. That way they'd could drink a little and still be able to drive safely. If you can't control that maybe offering to drive them home would be the better option?
  9. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

Drunk driving has been named one of the leading kill factors in my country currently. The government has therefore put strict penalties on anyone who will be found to be driving under the influence of alcohol. I think all countries should take the same measure.
  10. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Active Contributor

Same here, even when I go to parties with friends, the host always makes his home available for sleepover guests and never lets someone drunk leave (which I think should be the norm). I'm very thankful I've never been in such a situationx
  11. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I think that the only person that heavy drinks in my nuclear family is my dad and he and my sister are the only ones who knows how to drive, so when he drinks we design my sister or her boyfriend... And when it comes to my friends I they usually drive drunk because all of us drinked that night, which can be pretty scary.
  12. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Oh that isn't an issue in my family. There is minimal drinking going on, and we don't drink and drive. So it is not really a big deal. Interestingly, I haven't seen as many sobriety checkpoints as I have seen in recent years. I guess maybe that means people are drinking less...not sure about that.
  13. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think your approach is pretty smart. Keeping drunk family members off the road could save lives. No one really drinks and drives on the holidays in my family. The best way to stop this from happening is not to serve alcohol to any one who doesn't live at your house on the holidays.
  14. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I'm so lucky to be dealing with a guy who doesn't drink and drive :) In the Netherlands if you are caught drunk and driving you can get in big trouble, you can actually get a criminal record this way... so there is no way he'd ever drive under the influence.
  15. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

We actually take the same approach as you. Whenever we have family or friends over and alcohol is involved, we let them stay the night at our house. Although some of them live nearby and go here by the means of a motorcycle or bicycle only, it's still dangerous. And it's more difficult to operate a motorcycle or bicycle when you're drunk since you need to balance it, so no way that they're going to go home drunk anyway.
  16. Ally

Ally Member

I do have some friends who drink and drive. One in particular refuses to stay over... it's a huge quandary for me, because if it were a stranger I would probably call the police. I hate it, because it puts me in a really uncomfortable situation. Sometimes I can convince him to take uber or stay over, but other times it's an absolute refusal. For some people like that (the one's who have pride issues, especially when under the influence), you might have to ask them not to drink at your house if they intend to drive, unless they will be willing to find an alternative way home.
  17. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

It's good that you let people sleep over, that should be an option for a lot of people. I've had my friends offer that for me when I used to drink. Also offering to drive them home to get them a taxi.
  18. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Luckily I do not know anyone in our family that is a drunkard to the point that they would drink and drive. So that has never been a problem for us. People should have enough common sense to know that it is foolish and dangerous to drink and drive.
  19. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

In the past this as caused a few arguments, especially when we've not had the room for them to sleep over, so we've always insisted on them getting a taxi and coming back for their car the day after.

People don't like being told what to do, even if it is for their own benefit, so telling them they can't drive home, doesn't always go down too well.
  20. thash1979

thash1979 Active Contributor

I am not a drinker and never have been. I always put it out there that anyone can call me at anytime of the day or night for a ride. I would rather be woke up and cranky because I saved a life rather than waking up to a phone call that a family member died in a car accident that I could have prevented. If my family is going to drink and have fun, so be it. But don't be a dummy and drive yourself home. If you don't have enough respect for your life, have it for the rest of us that are driving on those same roads.