An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drinking and Driving

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Janie, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

Do you think a lot of drinking and driving still occurs? It seems like it was a big thing in the 80's, then there was so much education and crack downs on that I feel like a lot of people don't do it anymore.

Do you think drinking and driving has declined? Or is it still going on a lot?
  2. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Of course it's still going on! That's one of the main reasons car accidents happen. I don't know about other countries, but in my country there's a minimum of 3 car accidents because of this per week. Also my friend got his license seized because of this. And I think things like these will always happen more or less.
  3. matt1rl

matt1rl Member

I believe that drinking and driving is far to common. Much more than it should be with the laws of today. Even with the most strict consequences people still choose to get behind the wheel of their two-thousand pound death machines and careen around the streets. This puts far to many members of the public at danger, and it one of the worst sides of alcohol. I don't know if there is any way to ever completely stop this from happening. All they can do is stay on top of prosecuting the offenders, and taking away licenses.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Whilst incidences have certainly decreased in my country since the 80s, it still happens frequently.

I think drink driving is one of the most stupid and thoughtless things a person can do. Licences shuld be permanently removed from people who do this.
  5. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Drinking, and driving is a killer. People need to stop with this mess. If you want to die by all means take yourself out. Do us a favor don't do it behind a wheel of a car while drunk. To many innocent people have to die because of this senseless act. Stupid, stupid, stupid people shouldn't have to die because others think they can drive fine while drunk. Same goes for damn cell phones. I hate a cell phone biggest mistake ever made if you can't respect the laws of the road, and own one.
  6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

It absolutely is still a problem, especially in the USA. I am not sure how other countries compare, but you hear a lot about drinking related fatality accidents here. The laws are getting better in my state and people are punished much more severely, but it doesn't stop everyone. Free cab services should be available to prevent even more people from getting behind the wheel.
  7. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

Yeah, of course it still happens. As long as it's been booze and cars, it's been drinking and driving. Irresponsible people don't really change their ways at the snap of a finger.
  8. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

It is undoubtedly still happening. I know people who still do it and some of which had their license taken away. Also, you often see and hear in the news about an accident that occurred due to drunk driving. People still do it often.
  9. Rodrigo1337

Rodrigo1337 Member

There is a lot of DWI related arrests/accidents in my area. I was always good with not driving while intoxicated, and never understood how people could rationalize the risk of getting behind the wheel of a vehicle..
  10. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

My great grandfather was actually given a choice between drinking or driving when he was in his 70's I believe, and he chose drinking!
  11. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

Yes drinking and driving still happens. Its killed 2 people I know in the past 5 years. The last one crashed and died of alcohol poisoning.
  12. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Unfortunately, it's still far too prevalent. They still do checkpoints in my area to see if people are driving drunk. I don't know if it's still designated as being stopped for sobriety checks, because they do it for seat belts and pretty much anything and everything else now too (which I think is unconstitutional), but it's obviously also for sobriety checks, because they do it more on weekends/holidays when obviously more people are out drinking.
  13. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

Come to the Philippines and drinking and driving is a normal thing. This is so dangerous but I know a lot of people still doing it. I hope they wake up and realize what a big mistake they are doing.
  14. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

Of course it still occurs. The sad thing is the people who complain the most about it, tend to not offer any realistic solutions to prevent it or stop it in the first place, other than simply punishing and fining those caught driving under the influence. To a certain extent, I feel like the Police don't really want drunk drivers off the road, they want to keep catching them because they are huge cash cows for their departments.

The design and layout of suburbs are the prime scenario for DUI's to happen. There's no taxis or public transportation, and it's hard to get one because the taxis don't want to waste their time driving all the way out to the burbs to do a $15 ride. They would rather stay in busy downtown areas and airports and do those runs.

Then you've got entire strips of malls and restaurants and bars near these suburbs that are too far to walk to, so you have no choice but drive there and back. If you go to one of those bars without a DD, you run the risk of getting nailed on the way back home. At least if you lived in a downtown area, you could hop a subway, bus or taxi back to your place with no problem. The suburbs are speed and DUI traps. I've seriously been considering moving downtown and getting away from this crap.
  15. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

We need to be aware that when we drink we should not drive. How basic is this? We are endangering our life and the life of others, is it really worth the risk?
  16. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

There are no places nearby me to have a drink. I have to drive about 4o miles to an establishment that serves alcohol. No way I'm driving home. Not that I go get falling down drunk or anything, but it's a long drive even after a couple drinks. So, if we know drinking is going to be involved, we usually plan to stay the night *unless someone else goes with who doesn't drink. If we go to a party or have a party people stay over (it's usually mostly family anyway).
  17. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

It all depends on where you come from.In my home country,it was so bad it was declared a national disaster due to the high number of fatalities. A crack down was mounted and after a spirited campaign,the results are beginning to bear fruit. A number of gadgets were introduced like speed guns and alcoblow to net errant drivers. Am happy to say that as a result of these efforts, the rate of accidents is on a steady decline and on average,5 accidents happen in a month,which wasn't the norm as compared to before.
  18. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I certainly think that drinking and driving is still a major concern especially in my neck of the woods. People still carelessly get sloshed and get behind the wheel as they feel that they are most vigilant when drunk and obviously their sense of responsibility for their actions is pretty much numbed.

I actually have a friend who have told me point blank to my face that he feels that he drives much better and even more carefully when he has had a drink or two or even three. It really is a scary thought because even though he hasn't exactly caused any fatal accidents or accidents at all... the time will come when he does serious harm to innocent lives.
  19. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

Drinking and driving accidents have decreased a lot thanks to the awareness campaigns created around it, many more of these campaigns should exist on other areas too.
  20. awesomeaniruddh

awesomeaniruddh Active Contributor

It certainly has decreased, thanks to awareness campaigns and strict regulations that are enforced. Because, after all, having regulations that are not enforced are pointless.