An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drinking in College

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Dehmar, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Dehmar

Dehmar Member

Alcohol almost ruined my life. I am attending a well know University and two years ago I was on the verge of dropping out because of my alcohol abuse and constant partying. Most students are not aware of the consequences of alcohol abuse and most don't even know that they are addicted. To them it's all fun and games and they can stop whenever they feel like and often times they are unable until it too late.

So if you have any suggestions on ways to tell if you are addicted to alcohol and ideas on how to manage your drinking in college please share.
    Rex and jeremy2 like this.
  2. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Well, if you're asking are you possibly addicted to alcohol I would have to ask you to reread the first sentence of this thread. If you feel alcohol has almost ruined your life you should likely give up drinking the thing that has an immense potential to ruin your life. You shouldn't be considering any form of management given the extreme nature you're already viewing your abuse. It's not the worst thing in the world to feel better & more alert every morning. Find other things that are fun & exciting & have nothing to do with alcohol.
  3. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I had a similar experience while in college and while i managed to quit drinking before it disrupted my studies, most of my colleagues were unable to control themselves and some fell out of college. I remember one day after a night out asking myself if my parents who were paying my college fees would be proud of me considering that they had made huge sacrifices for me to enroll in that college. That day was my turning point and i swore never to drink again until i finished college.
  4. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

Most people get into a party phase in college, but some take it to a dangerous level. Don't be that guy. I didn't get off scot-free when I finished my college years. I had serious liver and kidney problems, but thank God I stopped before both of them were irreparable. Just remember what the goal of going to university is and work at it as best you can.
    jeremy2 likes this.
  5. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

While in college, the pressure from your peers is usually overwhelming and most of the time,we succumb to that pressure just to please them. That is plain wrong and you need to develop your own principles and stand by them. You should be a person of good morals and integrity and be focused on your goals. You went to college by yourself and it's your life that will be at stake if you don't follow the right path.
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is nice to know that you are able to figure out about it before it is too late and ruined your life.
    Better to set goals and priorities. Studying in college should be more about learning and not partying and alcohol drinking.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

You can tell that you are addicted to alcohol if:

- You drink heavily anytime you are stressed.
    - You drink more than you used to drink when you had your first drink.
    - Can't think clearly before you have a drink or two.
    - When you are sober you regret things you did or said when you were drunk.
    - Stay drunk at times for a long time.

How to manage your drinking?

You can't. Either you are quitting or managing nothing. Why?

Because . . .

alcohol can actually cloud your judgment and force you to make decisions you would otherwise never make
  8. goldenmaine

goldenmaine Active Contributor

I also was drinking in college and there was a time when I got out every night, drinking with friends and passing out. I realized that it had a bad influence in my life, especially in my studies because I had low grades and almost flunked some classes. Fortunately I was able to discipline myself to limit the times that I would drink so that I can focus more in school. It is very hard to avoid these things especially in college where there are a lot of parties, friendships and alcohol involved. Since I cannot avoid it completely, what I did was limit and drink only moderately so that I will not get distracted. I made a schedule in which when exams are getting nearer, I would not drink anymore and just focus in studying. Then after the exams I would then give myself a reward by drinking out with my friends, but still limiting myself to only a few drinks and avoid those nights of binge drinking where we pass out completely.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I was in college also and drinking and partying consumed me. That's all I could think about. Especially if you live in the dorms, you will be surrounded with some much alcohol and women. There is hardly any breathing room. I know of one person that actually moved out of the dorms and out to a secluded area away from the school just so she could concentrate on school.

That is some willpower if you can break away from that if you live on campus dormitory. Shut your door, buy a lot of hot pockets and turn up the music. Time to be a hermit and leave that stuff outside.
  10. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

I never been to the university to have actual courses. However I was part of a summer program at this one state university where I live at which we never had any booze and we did get to stay in the dorms which I enjoyed during 2006 while I was out of high school.
  11. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I never liked the taste of alcohol, so I'm lucky that I will not ever get addicted to it. But if you really want to be sober and to stop drinking, then I suggest that you need to have a strong willpower and you have to be determined to stay away from that stuff or reject it when it is offered to you.
  12. Rex

Rex Community Champion

Alcohol almost ruined my life. I am attending a well know University and two years ago I was on the verge of dropping out because of my alcohol abuse and constant partying. Most students are not aware of the consequences of alcohol abuse and most don't even know that they are addicted. To them it's all fun and games and they can stop whenever they feel like and often times they are unable until it too late.

Man i am right there with you, i know how it is, you want to squeeze every minute of fun out of college life because you know this is your opertunity to party. I managed to kick the booze but theres no doubt i was an alcoholic. A lot of my buddies from those days are still drinking heavily and in denial about it. Just remember you dont need it to have a good time.
  13. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

Some people believe that you basically have to be an alcoholic in college to get anywhere. It's totally ridiculous.
  14. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

Where I live in Dunedin New Zealand, usually students get alcohol at the Orientation week and prone to being disorderly and also glass thrown around and also getting hangovers. The weekends can be worse has flat parties occur and also, they tend to be loud and get more energy or more excitement from drinking alcohol. I reckon that students feel freedom or that others are dong it so why should they not be doing this as well and partying into the later hours occurs a lot.
  15. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It's easy to tell if you're addicted to alcohol: you simply can't live without it. Once you start craving alcohol on a daily basis, then you should be alarmed. People normally wouldn't crave it. They just drink alcohol so that conversation with friends become livelier, no holds bar. Try to cut back on partying. That's one sure way to avoid alcohol. Another would be to join worthy causes or volunteer for community outreach programs.
  16. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Most parents have fears when their children are going already to college knowing that there are many pressures in a student's life in this level of education. As a student if you meet and get acquainted with the wrong group of students like those who always do not want to attend their classes, those who always wants to smoke, drink alcohol or taking drugs, those who likes partying around then your studies might get involved. It is not wrong to have friends and to socialize at school because it is part of your teenage life. But if you think that your studies will be affected stay away from those temptations and just study hard alone by yourself if you really want to earn a degree for your future.
  17. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I had the same problem , all through college, I partied like an animal, even after I gaduated, I still had the same problem at my place of workers, my co-workers tried partying with me, butthey could keep up,in Michigan most clubs close at 2.00 a.m, I would look for an after hour club, go party leave there at 5.30 a.m go eat breakfast shower and go to work, but am glad to say that , I nolonger have that habbit anymore, am glad I was able to quit.
  18. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

My college is chock full of students just like that, spending more time drinking than studying. It frustrates me so much when I hear people complaining that they didn't have enough time to do homework over the weekend because they were partying too much and then they had to nurse their hangover so that they could go out again the next night and stuff like that. It's ridiculous and kind of sad that this is what is expected of students now a days, for them to want to party, like that's what we are supposed to do just because we're in college. It makes me feel really left out when I don't participate in stuff like that, just because mostly I really just don't like it most of the time.
  19. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

College and alcohol seem to be linked in my opinion. Even over here in the U.K. there is a lot of pressure on people to go out and 'enjoy' theirselves and enjoy their time as a student, which, inevitably means going and getting drunk every night of the week. This isnt even frowned upon its just widely accepted as part of student life, of course most people grow out of this stage of their life, unfortunatley for some though it can leave a lasting impression on their lives.
  20. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well you are not the only one because a lot of college students just let free and consume alcohol at parties like there is no tomorrow. It is a good thing that you recognize the negative impacts that alcohol has on your life and I hope that all works out well and you don't slip back into an addiction.