An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drinking in Moderation

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by singingintherain, Aug 18, 2015.

1. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

I've recently come to the realization that while I'm not an alcoholic, I'm definitely headed towards having a problem with binge drinking. I have known many alcoholics before and my behavior is very different to theirs. Among many of my friends binge drinking on the weekends is the norm though. I am finding that I am often binge drinking on weekday nights, as well as weekends.

I have put a stop to that and I am aiming to 'drink in moderation'. I found the recommended maximum for an adult woman is said to be maximum seven drinks a week, with no more than three in any one session. So far this past week I've had one - when my partner brought a bottle home for me. I sipped it alternating with my water bottle so that I wasn't tempted to knock it back quickly, as is my usual style. I think the important thing for me will be the 'no more than three in any session'.

Has anyone had a problem with binge drinking and tried drinking in moderation? I understand this approach might not work for me, and I might need to abstain altogether. I'm going to give it a try though as I would like to be able to be moderate about it. I will see how things go though!
    Smileyblue13 likes this.
  2. Smileyblue13

Smileyblue13 Member

I honestly think that I'm moving in the same direction. I've always had this fear deep down that I've been going off the deep end but all my friends think its cool. My brother and I could drink down a 750 bottle of 90 proof rum in one sitting, I think that's when I started thinking I needed to change a little.

One thing that helps me, which is kind of a weird one, is that I usually would drink at my house or a buddy's place and we'd get $30 to $60 dollars worth of boos and just go ham. Instead of drinking in I switched to bars where it was $4 to $7 dollars a beer and $6 for a shot and I would walk in with a small amount of cash, maybe $20 or $30, and I'd leave my plastic at home.

Another thing that I'm honestly not doing as well at as I should be is working out more. I figure the more time I spend trying to better myself the less time I have to drink. I don't know if you've ever tried running with a hang over, but it's terrible, so I try to moderate myself so that I can run the next day and not throw up like I did for the first few weeks of doing so.

I hope I helped a little and that I wasn't too generic. It's reassuring to read similar problems when everyone surrounding you is saying everything is alright. Truth be told, they might feel the same way and are just as scared as us.
    I wish you well.
  3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

When I tried to do this on those early days when I started my road to recovery, I was advised to eat fat-rich foods along with my per-day moderation limit.

Fat is said to slow down the effect of alcohol so drinking three shots can make you feel nothing and here is where the risk come into play; or not feeling anything push you to drink more, or makes you feel that is not worth keep drinking if no sensation changes.

Fortunately I decided for this latter and I reduce my alcohol intake significantly because it was not longer producing me any cheerful or sedative effect. Then the problem becomes extra pounds you may earn by trying to cut alcohol increasing fat intake.
  4. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think that when it comes to drinking, then we need to make changes as alcohol is something that can make us desire it more and make a person spend more money on that ,then on the important things in life or the day to day expenses which are important. I think having a moderate amount is alright as after a hard day, it can be a good feeling to have a drink for a few hours with someone, and it can be nice as well and need to watch the limit as well otherwise it is easy to consume more than needed. I think it is important to eat the right sort of foods and also do exercise and see if you can take someone with you, so you have more fun and can enjoy the time you exercise together.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The problem with the concept of drinking in moderation is this: alcohol can cloud your judgment and you might find yourself drinking more than you intended to. Abstention IMHO, would be the better solution to binge drinking because it [binge drinking] inevitably leads to addiction.
  6. singingintherain

Thank you so much for your replies! I really appreciate the support and enjoy hearing others thoughts. I'm hoping that this reduction in my drinking will also lead to an increase in my fitness. Like Smilyblue13 said, it is awful to run with a hangover! I'm hoping that it will also help me to lose a little weight. I'm not overweight but I have put on several pounds around my middle that I definitely don't need. The binge drinking is just wasted calories.

I had the urge last night to have a drink or two. We have some sitting in the fridge so it would have been easy, and also within the realms of my 'quota'. I decided against it though as I thought 'what is the point'. Instead I had some soda water and feel much better for it. As Rainman said, alcohol clouds your judgement. It's very possible that I could have had two drinks and thought "I may as well have another two!" immediately afterwards. That's exactly how my binge drinking was happening on weeknights.

I won't have anything to drink again tonight. I might have one on Friday night with dinner but I don't think I would like to tempt myself with two. The thought of waking up early on Saturday morning and being productive is really motivational!
  7. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

Drinking in moderation is definitely okay! Everyone has a drink every now and then. The problem is when it becomes a habit and you become addicted to it. If someone becomes addicted to something, it is very hard to get them to stop doing whatever it is that they are doing. Drinking alcohol is a weird thing though because it clouds your judgment. I would say to drink maybe only around friends since they will be able to control you if you should happen to get out of hand.
  8. singingintherain

That's great advice, thank you! I think a lot of my problem stems from drinking alone. It sounds really bad to admit that though. I think it's easy for me to drink too much when I'm alone as there is no one to answer to, and I can pretend to myself that I didn't drink that much.

I was very tempted to have a drink tonight (it's night here at the moment) because "it's Thursday". I'm not going to though. I've had dinner and I'm going to watch a movie instead. Technically I think I could have a drink, but why do I need to? I think if I do have one tonight it will be once my partner gets home and I can have one with him - as you have suggested about only doing so around friends.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Drinking in moderation all depends on the individual. A lot to one, winter be a lot to another so I think as long as you k ow your limit and stick to it, alcohol won't be a problem to you.

A lot of addicts don't have a sense of limit though, and that's where the problem starts.
  10. I doubt if I'll ever stop drinking in moderation because I have no reason to. I can really control how much I drink and when. I usually only drink one or two beers after say 4 months. I think alcohol taken as a recreational beverage is just fine. It raises your mood and won't give you hangovers if taken in moderation. Binge drinking has never been enjoyable for me, I start to feel really nasty just after getting fully drunk. This only worsens in the morning.
  11. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

I used to binge drink a lot, I could kill an entire bottle by myself. I would also drink alone because I didn't want people to know how much I was drinking. I ended up getting pregnant and that ended all my drinking. My daughter is a year and a half now, I can drink in moderation. I used to drink hard liquor but now I'll only drink wine. I'll have one or two glasses after a long day and that's about it. Drinking it much more enjoyable that way and with a couple glasses I get a nice buzz and no hangover.
  12. elbowstain

elbowstain Member

I have a beer about 5 times a week. I work near a local bar where I know pretty much 70% of the people that go there. It's a really nice bar, best one near to where I work and live (within around 20 miles). I go after work and talk to them for about half an hour to an hour almost every night.
    I'll have maybe one or two beers but its nothing that could get me remotely tipsy or make me feel the alcohol in my system. It's nice to have an ice cold beer after a long day of work.
  13. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I don't know if this is true, but I was always under the impression if you felt you had to "control your drinking" you probably have a problem and is the first step in alchoholism. Whether or not this describes you I don't know, but
    you do seem to be drinking too much. Do you have a history of alchoholism in your family? I think I could drink less as well...but my main concern is that it has too many calories in it. I prefer to have alcohol available but if it isn't it is fine with me.
  14. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I may think alcohol is equally harmful in the long run if moderate drink is systematic and continuous through out the years. Let's say someone who drinks 2-3 shots on a daily basis for 10 or 20 years, but this is it; some side-effects might come up with the pass of the time while who drinks a ton on a daily basis can find them faster.

Of course, this is not a scientific or medical notation, I'm just assuming that drinking alcohol regularly for a very long period of time might result in some kind of interaction affecting one's health somehow.
  15. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

It sounds like your trying to ween yourself off drinking. Drinking in moderation can help you stop drinking if the goal is to stop. Studies have shown that moderation is a healthier way to drink, like a glass of wine a day is supposed to prevent heart attacks. But if you feel even in moderation you can't help but to go overboard you should look for another alternative. If this is helping you control binge drinking, it only make sense to do it if it works.
  16. singingintherain

I guess I was more differentiating between a 'drink from dawn-to-dusk' kind of alcohol problem, versus a 'drinking irregularly but far to much' problem, that is starting to increase. Both are not good though! I don't have a history of it in my family at all (including my extended family) but I have known a few alcoholics.

I was quite pleased with my effort last night. I had two drinks with my partner, then I switched to water and watched a movie. It's now Friday night where I live and I'm going to be careful. I'll be staying in and might have two (still within my quota) with my partner but will leave it at that. There is a lot I want to achieve tomorrow and I'll only be able to if I'm free from a hangover so I will keep reminding myself.

In a way I guess I am trying to wean myself off drinking. I had a full doctors checkup about six months ago and my liver function (and everything else) is totally fine. I think if I were to continue like this it wouldn't be surprising if I had issues in the future though. Got to be kind to my body! It's the only one I'll get.
  17. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I was sort of a heavy drinker before, but I didn't binge drink alcohol every weekend, but yeah, drinking responsibly and moderately is one of the best solutions for that. And I am happy to know that it's working pretty great for me. Probably there would come a day that you would finally quit drinking alcohol.
  18. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think that drinking in moderation could be just fine as long as it is done occasionally. But if a person drinks in moderation in a daily or regular basis, it will be a different case in my opinion.
  19. elbowstain

elbowstain Member

I don't see a problem with people coming home after work and having a few drinks. Yes, it is almost everyday, but it is in moderation. I don't judge people if they come home from working a 9-5 and crack open a cold beer. It's just something people do to relax. Same as reading a book and drinking a glass of red wine.

As long as people don't get affected (Tipsy or drunk) on a daily basis I don't see the problem with having a drink almost daily.
  20. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Yes maybe. As long as it does not give a problem, it is not yet a drinking problem or addiction.