An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drinking in Moderation

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by singingintherain, Aug 18, 2015.

1. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

I personally believe that when it comes down to alcohol, we need to quit it all at once, else we will prolong the agony too much and end up drinking much more than when we were in our recovery phase. Go full cold turkey and it's going to be very productive for you.
  2. henry

henry Community Champion

Listen, if you think you have a problem with alcohol, moderation won't work. I tell you this because I have a friend who's always trying to quit drinking and smoking. His problem is that he can't stop drinking when he starts, and falls down to the floor any bar he goes. He gets depressed about it the next day and stops drinking for about 3 months. But as soon as he picks up a drink, he does the exact same thing he did when he drank 3 months ago. So, he should just quit, because moderation doesn't work for him.
  3. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Almost anything is ok for you to do in moderation, it is when it becomes a habit that is a problem. A woman having 7 drinks in a week seems like a lot to me, but I guess it averages out to one a day. I like to have wine a couple of nights per week and normally have 2 glasses in one sitting so my average is about 4 glasses a week.
  4. cjcasey83

cjcasey83 Member

I definitely used to love to drink even from an early age. I started when I was 16. I found that (from the beginning) I always liked to drink more than others. I always partied a lot and hung out with friends who did the same. I ended up getting accepted to a great college and graduated. The whole time I was increasing my drinking (and drug use). By the time I was 28 I had become totally unemployable and was losing friends / family left and right. I knew I had to do something about it, so I came into AA. SInce I got sober a few years ago, my life has become amazing! I never knew how much I loved life. I am so happy to not be drinking nowadays
  5. cjcasey83

cjcasey83 Member

I definitely used to love to drink even from an early age. I started when I was 16. I found that (from the beginning) I always liked to drink more than others. I always partied a lot and hung out with friends who did the same. I ended up getting accepted to a great college and graduated. The whole time I was increasing my drinking (and drug use). By the time I was 28 I had become totally unemployable and was losing friends / family left and right. I knew I had to do something about it, so I came into AA. SInce I got sober a few years ago, my life has become amazing! I never knew how much I loved life. I am so happy to not be drinking nowadays
  6. Rory

Rory Active Contributor

I agree completely. To me, it's the equivalent of someone on a strict diet saying, "Oh, I'll just eat one potato chip." Before you know it, you're going to have eaten the whole bag. Don't even give yourself the chance to go down that path. Understand your own limitations.
    henry likes this.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I honestly think that there is very little difference between binge drinking and alcoholism. They are both basically the same thing. Binge drinking is definitely a form of alcoholism, I should know because I was in the same situation. It's awful, I think that by the time you realize you are indeed binge eating often it's time to stop.