An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drinking in the Privacy of you Home

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Janie, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

Do you like to be out when you drink? Or do you prefer to be at home? I once had a friend who drank a lot, but they would only do it at home, in private. It was ok other people would be around, but they didn't like being out and drunk. Is this just a quirk of theirs? Or is this a trait of some alcoholics?
  2. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

One thing is for sure, your [Janie] friend are more respectful of themselves because drinking at home in the private does minimize many risks involved with doing any type of drugs than to do it in the public. It's not a trait, it's more a preference and comfort.

I like to drink a lot more ethanol beverages at home than at some place out in the public, but sometimes I go out with my brothers/sisters or friends to celebrate a night out at the bars or lounges. I don't like drinking at home all the time because I become too comfortable and that is not good in the long run, because I will start drinking a lot more and more because I'm comfortable at my place, which I drink far less when I'm out in the public.
  3. Rodrigo1337

Rodrigo1337 Member

When I was really bad, I used to get blackout drunk when/where ever there was alcohol. In public, at friends' houses, at my house-didn't matter. Now, I only have a couple of drinks when I'm out and will only have maybe one or two more than I would have out when I'm home. I don't know if it's because I regret some of the things I did when I was drunk or if I'm just past that stage in my life, but I don't see the reason to get that drunk anymore.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Some people may not be interested in publicizing their "shame". I use the word because they don't want to be associated with alcoholics. Or maybe they are afraid of doing something embarrassing should they drink in public.

I've known a number of people who prefer to drink at home because they don't want their friends to know that they drink. It gets to be rather difficult to help such people because they live in denial and never will seek help even when they realize they have a problem.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think alcoholics don't usually care that much about where they get drunk, as long as they do, but I suppose some of them probably do prefer to do it at home. I personally think it's best to just do it at home as long as they are not the type that get violent since it lessens the risk of getting in trouble or worse even getting into an accident.
  6. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

I used to drink a lot with my friends who were heavy drinkers too. But when I got a little older, my uncle said that he won't stop me anymore but made me promise that I'd never drink away from home again. A year after that conversation , he passed away. I've literally made every single advise to me a rule in life. I don't drink anymore but I give the same advise to friends and family members if they ever plan on drinking heavily for the night.
  7. 003

003 Community Champion

I generally don't feel comfortable when strangers look at me do something out in public, especially a kind of drinking. So, I would prefer to be really drinking just at home and invite my friends to come over and at home have our drinking session there. But the problem is some of them would rather go out for a public place to drink. If they insist, I also insist that I will not go with them. I think drinking should be held private because for me drinking is intimate and must be.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I was always a social drinker. I never drank at home and never found it amusing. But recently my friends like to come over the house and have a few drinks before heading out. They are cheap and want to get a buzz before heading out to a place of business and spending money on expensive and overpriced drinks.
  9. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

If it's just me, I really just prefer doing it at home with some friends. I don't want to go out in bars to drink. Plus knowing the fact that I can get blackout-drunk is definitely not a good idea to even consider it.
  10. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I have known of quite a few people who drank excessively and almost never left the house. It appears this is quite common. I have known of at least one case where the person drinking was happy to come home and drink daily to relieve the stress. Drink himself to sleep and get up the next morning and go. The person is doing it to this day. I've often wondered if that person is actually an alcoholic.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  11. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

When I was still an alcoholic (and that was a long time ago), there was no preference. Everywhere is fair game to go drinking for an alcoholic. I didn't care where I was; whether I was outside or in my house, whether I was alone of with friends, or whether it was night or day. When I got bitten by the bug, I always heeded my urge immediately.
  12. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think that was very good advice. My parents were smart enough to tell me that I could feel free to do some experimentation at home within reason and I think that helped a lot with my education in engaging in some possibly questionable activities and habits as it gave me a better perspective and a safer environment so I never felt the need to risk too much or go off too much on the deep end.
  13. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

My father only drinks at home, but I don't think it makes a world of a difference where he does it. Perhaps the only positive side of this is that he saves quite a bit of money by not having to buy drinks from overpriced establishments. Other than that, the intake is no lower, the quality and effect of the alcohol, too. You can drink alcohol virtually anywhere, in whatever quantities you desire - it's one of its most appealing characteristics. And one if it's most sinister ones.
  14. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I, think it is good having it at home and also that you can control how much you have at homme and if you are with people who understand your habits than will not let you drink over the limit. Being in the right environment is important, as if you with the wrong crowd than may drink more than enough and do something you don't usually do and may regret it later. It, is important to think of what could go wrong if you are with the people who are not thinking about your health and should drink responsibility
  15. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

I do not drink alcohol but for me I think if you will drink alcohol it is best and safe just to drink in the privacy of your own home. In public places there are many things that might happen if you are drinking with different kinds of people with different personalities in that same place. You will never know what are their behavior and attitudes when they are already drunk. And sometimes arguments and misunderstandings always prevails in public drinking places. But the best thing to do is try to avoid drinking alcohol whether at home or in any other place. Think wisely that your health is your wealth and you should take care of it.
  16. Mara

Mara Community Champion

When I was younger, I preferred going out and drink on bars and clubs. But as I grew older, I've mellowed a bit and going out too much has been kind of a chore. So now, I prefer having friends over for dinner and then have a few drinks with them.
  17. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

For me, drinking is a social thing. I tend to enjoy drinking in the company of friends as it brightens the atmosphere wherever we may be. Though i drink in moderation, the thought of drinking all by my self holed up in my sitting room does not excite me at all, I'd rather be outdoors whenever i feel like having a drink.
  18. westmixxin

westmixxin Active Contributor

To be honest I like the idea of drinking in my home alone. Now I'm drinking in my home and there's a lot of company over here that's fine with me but realistically I prefer to go out and have a drink because I can interact with people. But my experience with alcohol has usually been in my own home because I constantly have large amounts of company.
  19. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I prefer to have a drink at home in the tub to relax before bed. I don't drink very often, but I'm not trying to hide anything. I also enjoy hanging out with friends and getting a drink at a bar or club once in a while. I think drinking in the safety of your own home without having to drive is a better option for me anyway.
  20. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I prefer to drink at home as well.
    Drinking when your out is not only more expensive but you also have the worry od what other people might do who can't handle their alcohol. Its as if your always on your gaurd and you don't enjoy the night as much.