An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drinking out of boredom

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by FuZyOn, May 14, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I once had this habit and it was something that I dreaded everyday. Whenever I was watching TV or playing a game I felt the need to drink a little bit. It wasn't like I was craving alcohol, it was just a stupid habit that was trapped in my subconcious mind.
    How can someone solve this problem? It took me a lot of months of teraphy, but I think that it can be "cured" easier.
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Go get some hobbies or exercise. If you sit there in idle mode, boredome will hit you and that's were addiction will come creeping back into your life.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I find that it's the case with a lot of people. A lot of my single friends, when they've been to work, come home and done all the household chores, find themselves with little to do.

They have a beer or two while watching the TV, soon that becomes every night and just a normal way of life.
  4. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Given the fact that boredom is the trigger for many people to drink, I think they need to destroy that trigger by simply changing something big in their life, something exciting and productive like learning a musical instrument, learning a language or creating another source of income...
  5. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Time to get some activities and hobbies. If you just stay home and don't do anythnig, boredom will set in an thoughts of using will come into play. So my suggestion is to fill your entire day with a lot things to do to not think negatively.
  6. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

I think the problem you are experiencing is an inability to relax, so it can be cured. Although, I'd like to know how much you were drinking. If it was only a small amount daily I don't see the problem, it is good that you are trying to avoid this negative cycle however.
  7. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

As long as you keep under control drinking, the potential drink to catch addiction is low.

I used to drink a cocktail on a daily basis for year, not just out of boredom, but for the pleasure to test my knowledge in mixing drinks and try something "tasty" everyday in what was kind of a British-tea hour ritual.

Problem began when knowing I have alcohol and like me, I mixed these fact to abuse it when a situation in my life pushed me to do it.

If you are just starting with this craving, try to educate yourself in a substitution routine. Rather than get an alcohol shot, give yourself a cereal bar as substitution threat.

Some cereal bars are really tasty, contribute with your digestion, and haven't heard of anyone suffering from cereal bar addiction. If so, that person has to be really healthy!

Seriously, try to substitute alcohol with something of your choice that is healthy and then to stop it to avoid substitute one addiction on the work with other.
  8. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

I would try to get out and start doing more outside where you wont be tempted to have a drink., even just a walk could help clear your head away from it and keep you distracted on other things.
  9. zplohr

zplohr Member

It takes 10 minuets for a craving to go away, If you keep your mind busy, go for a walk around the block and call a sober friend, when you get back your craving should be lower. It works for me!
  10. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

A friend of mine has this problem, he drinks out of boredom, it became a habit for him, he has some big problems in his family, I think that it's the reason why he might be doing this. I don't really know if there is a way to solve it other than stop doing it.
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I definitely think for me it was about staying busy. I've been in the same predicament you mentioned -- using alcohol as a bit of a void filler anytime I felt bored, lonely or alone. I try to fill my days now, and find that being occupied makes a huge difference. I try to do some form of exercise every day, whether that's a long walk, a bike ride, a hike outdoors, a workout or class at the gym, yoga...the list goes on. I find exercise is such a good mind clearer and I always feel so much more positive afterwards. I also just try to have a lot of activities on that keep me occupied -- gardening, cooking, writing in my journal, reading...even things that are seemingly mundane like house chores keep me busy and give me a sense of accomplishment (and keep me from that bad feeling of boredom!)
  12. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Oh, I see where you're coming from. I personally had this habit, too, but it was a lesser form of it. I usually simply slipped beer out of the fridge and drank out of reflex, meaning that I didn't consciously did it. Only when I opened the bottle and took a little foretaste realized I that I was drinking alcohol. Meh, it happens I guess. :D
  13. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

God I did this so much! The best thing to do is get something to do! Try taking a class or get a new hobby, anything that makes you get out of the house and gets your mind stimulated and tops it from being idle. Go for a walk, take up cooking lessons (I did) just something so that you are not idling.
  14. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I noticed that too. Whenever I was focused on this bad habit I couldn't keep my mind off of it but when I was doing something productive that was keeping me busy the craving was gone.
  15. henry

henry Community Champion

Boredom was the thing that made me drink the most. Getting some hobby to keep your mind from thinking about alcohol is really good advice, but the truth is, sometimes you just want to drink, and nothing else will do. You don't want to read a book, you don't want to play guitar, you don't want to ride your bike, you just want to drink. The only thing that worked for me was picking a day of the week for drinking. I conditioned myself that if it's not Friday, there's no drinking, so, it doesn't cross my mind until that day comes. It takes some time to get used to it, but this has worked for me. Try it.
  16. grandmaof4

grandmaof4 Member

It is very easy to start a routine that turns into a bad habit if you are not careful. For some people it's not even wanting to drink it's just the fact you have made a hobby out of it and that's when alcohol becomes a major problem.
  17. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think it can be easy to do and also, it is interesting to see what happens and also many turn to this as it is interesting and one can turn to this when bored or trying it out. I think doing many hobbies or any, other changes and also can be busy doing something else and also will be nice to see what happens when they stop drinking everyday. I reckon, that people will have to see what they can do when they don't take to alcohol.
  18. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

You've already answered your own question in your post. You said "Whenever I was watching TV or playing a game I felt the need to drink a little bit" and then you said "it was just a stupid habit that was trapped in my subconscious mind". Now ask yourself how that stupid habit got trapped in your subconscious mind in the first place - it got trapped there because you programmed it there. How? By repeatedly drinking when watching TV and playing games on a regular basis. Now your subconscious mind has been programmed to associate drinking with the acts of watching TV and playing games, therefore whenever you play games or watch TV you will feel the urge to drink. Undoing this subconscious programming (or 'uninstalling' this meta program) works in the same way. You need to get into the 'habit' of not drinking when watching TV and playing games in order to break the association.
  19. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Well, I wouldn't say you have to completely remove the habit of drinking while watching TV or playing a game. I would suggest you supplement the drink itself. It's like when you start a habit of eating while you watch something. Now you're watching something after a nice dinner & you still feel the need to snack. That can also become an issue.

Try substituting alcoholic beverages with something similar but better for you. Depending on what you drank you can have some soda water with line or over berries in ice cubes. A nice agave lemonade if you loved to drink margaritas. So on & so forth.