An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drinking when you're happy?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Cheeky_Chick, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

I know that a lot of people cope with their problems by turning to alcohol, however what about when it is the other way round? What about people (like me, for example) who think that alcohol is what you use when you're celebrating? I know this is the way I look at it, so I drink when I am in a good mood, and then I have far too much and it all goes downhill from there.

Does anyone else know what I mean with this, or am I on my own on this one?
    Damien Lee likes this.
  2. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

No @Cheeky_Chick you are not alone. Alcoholic drinks are commonly used for celebration but moderation must always be put in place to save ourselves from going haywire. Some people actually misbehave when they are happy; get a raise at work, get a new job, partner accepts proposal, get a promotion, having a baby and it goes on.

Moderation is key. Everything must be done with moderation before it becomes addiction.
    gracer likes this.
  3. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, that's the problem with us drinkers, we like to drink when we're happy and we like to drink when we're sad. We like to drink on weekends, holidays, if friends drop by for a visit, etc. We always find an excuse to pick up a bottle. Sometimes we just drink out of boredom or anxiety. Remember that us drinkers feel that alcohol is the cure for everything, including hangovers. To deal with all this stuff, changing our way of thinking is a must.
  4. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

This is actually very common for a lot of addictions, you turn to what makes you feel good or what makes you happy. I agree with henry, changing our way of thinkin is a mustif its ever going to get better.
  5. bonzmistrz

bonzmistrz Member

I admit I have my troubles with drinking even more since the d death of my son and lately my grandmother and uncle yet I don't get depressed, it just covers up what I am feeling so I don't have to think about it.
    Then again I also have times when it is soo beautiful outside, no wind, perfect temperature, sun is out..Those days I want to go get jeager and some beer and let my kids play outside until all the alcohol runs out. Most of the time the night ends good between my husband and I. If he ends up getting ticked off and stays in a bad mood it puts me in a bad mood.
  6. Hozyboy

Hozyboy Active Contributor

I also drink mostly when I in a good mood and want to have fun. I guess being habit tipsy has a way of making most people let lose and just have fun.

Most people drink at the end of the month when their salary is out. It is a form of having fun after a long month of hard work. And as you said, it all goes down from there.
  7. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Well, that's how plenty of people react to alcohol. Many folks don't drink simply because they're depressed, and need a pick-me-up. When people are in a good mood, they feel the need to further improve their mood...or just celebrate their happiness by consuming alcohol.
  8. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

I will put my two cents in here. Alot of people drink out of happiness but to be honest you don't need to celebrate or be happy by drinking. I believe drinking causes us to act a certain way we couldnt without that little push of courage. Probably why everything goes downhill because not everyone can put their drink in their tummy but only let it flow to the mind. I remember when I was deeply into a bottle I would act out of courage of what my mind would think of I can't say I really like myself in that predicament. Which is one of the reasons why I quit. Find true happiness in other ways of celebrating with the drinking.
  9. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I think alcohol is a common part of every celebration and that's what makes is very easy to abuse and overdo. I myself admit to still drinking occasionally during celebrations but I now know how to control my intake unlike before when I used to drink until I get really drunk. I guess what's really important when one drinks during happy times is for him/her to keep it in moderation as what @darkrebelchild said.
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There is someone I know who quit drinking a few years back but anytime he's celebrating something, then though he quit drinking, he'll drink anyway - "to celebrate." It's all in the mind. You associate alcohol with happiness and each time you are really happy you'll be seeking alcohol.

@OP try to find something else you can take when you are happy. In time maybe you won't be drinking alcohol each time you are celebrating something.
  11. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I am the kind of person who drinks between extremes. I usually get the temptation to drink after a windfall. I usually do it compulsively out of elation if the cash comes after an accomplishment. I also drink out of frustration. However, I have discovered that this compounds the problem.
  12. Yes this is definitely me! I am more of a social drinker and do it only when I am out with my friends or at a party or social gathering. To be honest I have never been addicted to alcohol and I don't think I will ever get addicted too. I use it only for celebratory purposes.
  13. Hey, it's good dear that you are not addicted. And be like this only because too much alcohol will harm the your future.
    Social drinker. Good one.