An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drinking wine?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by FuZyOn, May 9, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I heard a lot of people saying wine is actually not that harmful, and it is actually recommended to drink a glass of it everyday.
    Of course, I'm not encouraging you to drink because I know that it's still bad for you, but I want your input. Would it be okay if addicts drink a little bit of wine everyday instead of the "harder" alcoholic drinks?
  2. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well in the case of addicts then I think it is a good idea to cut back on the hard alcohol drinks and gradually replace them with wine. Remember that there are also non-alcoholic wines as well and so they can drink those too. They say red wine is good for the heart and so it must be a little healthier than beers etc.
  3. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

It really would depend on the person. Many addicts would not be able to do this. For some, one taste of alcohol will trigger them and they will not be able to stop with one glass. Generally speaking, it is best for someone who has been addicted to alcohol to get off it completely and stay away from any amount.

You can get the same anti-oxidants from high quality grape juice, so you don't really need to be drinking wine. You can also eat grapes and other high anti-oxidant berries like blackberries to get the health benefits without the negative effects of alcohol on the liver.
  4. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

It's not a good idea if you're struggling with alcohol. Your propensity is high, so I suggest to just stay away from it. It's for your own sake anyway.
  5. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

I supposed it's not that harmful. But if you are really prone to getting addicted to it, might as well complete don't be around it.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think wine is probably just as harmful as any alcoholic drink. If it's a couple of glasses with a meal obviously it's not to bad, but if you go home and drink 2 or 3 bottles every night then it's going to affect you just like any other drink.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Addicts shouldn't be touching any form of alcohol what so ever. That is actually counter productive and a relapse.
    allisonwinters likes this.
  8. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Wine is in fact worse than beer, as it gives you a more intensified feeling of drunkenness upon even consuming as little as 3 glasses!
    I agree with anyone else in this thread, alcohol consumption should be avoided at all cost if you struggle with addiction. Take care of your life; don't worsen it!
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

If those alcoholics will be able to drink just a glass of wine a day, it will definitely be great. Than continuously drinking lots of hard drinks in a daily basis. Anything in excess is bad so, they should not drink too much of wine even it is considered a better option.
  10. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

Agreed. For most people, this is simply not an option.

While there may be some helpful benefits for people in general, these don't come anywhere near important enough to outweigh the harmful effects for an alcoholic.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

If those alcoholics will be able to drink just a glass of wine a day, it will definitely be great. Than continuously drinking lots of hard drinks in a daily basis. Anything in excess is bad so, they should not drink too much of wine even it is considered a better option.
  12. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

The thing is, if they were able to drink "just one glass of wine," then chances are, they'd have the same control to "drink just one shot of hard liquor." The problem is that once an alcoholic takes even a single sip of ANY alcohol, it usually causes a domino effect downhill.

It's kind of like telling an overeater to "just eat only one doughnut" when doughnuts are his/her trigger. For the average person, that might sound completely logical, but for someone with an addiction, it's not that easy.
  13. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

Wine can be addictive as well, especially if the person is going to try it everyday and when they don't have it will spend money on it and get destructive as well. The person sees that as the way to live and also, the person will get the thinking that alcohol is the way to go and need to function with it in life. I reckon that, it will be good to see if a person decides to change their way and also will be good to stop being drunk or addicted to the alcohol.
  14. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think that personally, saying that wine is "healthy" is just an excuse for a relapse. Yes, wine is seen as healthier than say beer or hard liquor, but as addicts it can be a bit like 'if you give an inch, they'll take a mile'. I think it's better to avoid everything despite there being some research out there that wine helps heart health and things like that. Better to be safe than sorry and steer clear of all of it, if you ask me!
  15. henry

henry Community Champion

I hate wine. I remember when the wine drinking fad started, all of my social drinking friends where into it. I can't stand that stuff. I rather quit drinking than having to stick with that fruity crap. Before that, it was the "Vodka and cranberry juice" fad. That was more acceptable, but no cranberry juice for me, thank you. People usually think wine is healthier because Jesus converted water into wine and stuff, but I don't buy it. Also, I don't eat meat, and people usually ask me, "Not even fish? Jesus liked fish," and that always ticks me off. All animals are made of meat, so it doesn't matter if it's a goldfish or a horse.
  16. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

If you are a recovering addict you shouldn't be touching any type of alcoholic beverages. I don't know if there is any health benefits to wine, but since there is alcohol in it, best to just stay away all together.
  17. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Agreed, it’s better to avoid all alcohol if you’re an addict and that includes wine, despite the possible health benefits. It’s just too risky a prospect. Much better to find alternate sources for the healthy antioxidants.

That right there is why I was never a big fan of wine. It wasn’t a pleasant type of drunk either, so I hated the effects.
  18. Charli

Charli Community Champion

If an alcoholic would be able to just keep it to one glass a day then it would be okay. I think it's much better when people satisfy their urges in a more controlled and safe way rather than have it build up and erupt when least expected or wanted, though like any other method it's not applicable for everyone.
  19. zplohr

zplohr Member

The tangents in the grapes can be helpfull, that's why RED wine has good properties. So eat a red grape, no hangover, no relaps and all the perks!
  20. Domen

Domen Active Contributor

I heard that red wine is healthy and a glass a day is recommended. Alcoholics could drink a glass a day as well but I know how the majority of them are. One glass quickly turns into two glasses and then a bottle. It requires a well disciplined alcoholic to paste himself with only a glass a day. I wouldn't actually even offer alcoholic a glass of wine because I think I would have done more harm than good to him.