An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drinking wine?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by FuZyOn, May 9, 2015.

1. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Eh, no. No wine for recovering alcoholics... alcohol is still alcohol. I was never a wine person back in the day, I'm more a whiskey and vodka person, but still... I'd not dare to indulge in wine. Plus according to several studies women's bodies process alcohol differently. For a woman alcohol poses more risks than benefits in the long run, so I really think the one glass a day thing isn't good a idea for women in general.

There are far more interesting things to do that don't involve alcohol :) So many cool hobbies and activities. Life is wonderful if you are healthy, why tempt the devil, folks?
  2. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Really? I could never get drunk with wine... and I tried drinking quite a bit when I was just starting out, but it really wasn't my thing. My thing was always heavy spirits, hehehe. Now those gave me some of the most intense drunkenness feelings ever, but also the worst hangovers ever.

I agree with you, a recovering alcoholic should avoid any kind of alcoholic drink. Otherwise he or she might surely relapse. Wine is still alcohol, no matter how good some people claim it is for one's body (because of the antioxidants) alcohol is still alcohol and for that mere fact it's bad for us, specially if you are a woman.
    rightct likes this.
  3. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Well, I forgot to say that white wine made me drunk the most. Red wine had a mild feeling compared to the former. Just thought I'd say so we avoid all confusion, haha. :)
  4. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I figure if you are a recovering addict you would want to stay as far away as possible from any kind of alcohol as most said. I find my husband brings the wine in by the case and has wine every day. I question if it's the best course but I never see him drunk.
  5. If you're addicted to alcohol, wine is not a viable alternative. Just because it comes in a pretty bottle and has fancy French names doesn't make it any less of an alcoholic beverage. Is a glass of wine as harmful or as "bad" as a shot of vodka? I don't know the science behind it, but alcohol is alcohol.

That said, I know of the supposed health benefits of drinking wine and I don't really care about them. If you're after cardiovascular health (the supposed benefit, right?) then there are other ways to achieve that. I actually despise the way wine tastes. I can only stomach very sweet sparkling wines and even then only in small doses.
  6. Missfortune81

Missfortune81 Member

I love wine and it is wayy too easy for me to drink too much of it. I can seriously drink a whole bottle like it's nothing. I could never stick to just one glass. Especially red wine.
  7. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Where did you get that idea that drinking a glass of wine everyday is good for you? If you drink brandy or whisky everyday then you'd likely be dependent. Because you're repeating the action everyday, it's going to become a habit. Maybe red wine and fruit wines are less harmful but they still contain alcohol. Daily consumption of wine isn't really a good idea.
  8. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

Wine is helpful in small quantities. It contains a powerful antioxidant called resveratrol. However, if you take it for a high, it will nullify all the benefits. Wine contains alcohol and it can still play havoc with your health. Stay away from it.
  9. Just Another Shallow Man

Just Another Shallow Man Active Contributor

I agree with the general consensus in this thread.

Wine is not bad. It might actually even have good properties to it, drinking it every now and then isn't bad. But if you have an alcohol addiction, you should NOT touch wine. You should NOT touch any alcoholic drink, period.

It applies to wine as much as every other alcoholic drink: everything in moderation.
  10. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Maybe some homemade wine would be the best one to drink. We had a family friend when I was a kid that they made their own; at least you know what is in it. It is much stronger too. Wine somehow I think is more addictive if you take to it. The idea of it being healthier but that means just a glass here and there. My friends wife had a drinking problem. I asked him if she was better when they made homemade in their country. She now drinks commercial crap here in the states. He said you know what she wasn't an alcoholic at all then and it was not a problem then.
  11. Just Another Shallow Man

Just Another Shallow Man Active Contributor

Makes me wonder what kinda crap they put on the commercial stuff to make it more addictive, if any.
  12. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

That's like asking if it's okay for a cocaine addict to snort low quality cocaine mixed with sugar or something. The difference between wine and rum is that wine has more things in it which dilute the alcohol content. Alcoholics don't drink by volume, they drink to get drunk. The ABV doesn't really play a role in my opinion.
  13. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Wine, like any other alcohol, is not good for you if you have an addiction. I know people who are addicted to wine and drink it excessively every day. I don't think it is any better for them then if they were hooked on hard liquor. Alcohol is alcohol and it all has the same damaging effect when abused. I think somebody who is trying to stop drinking shouldn't even be tempted with a glass of wine. It would only be a matter of time before it lead them back to where they started. Wine may have health benefits if you only have a glass a day but an alcohol would never stop at a glass a day.
  14. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Wine is also alcohol and every type of alcohol is bad to drink for an addicted person.
    Either if it's rum or vodka or either if it's wine, and a glass of wine per day is a joke for me,
    there's no easier way to get addicted of alcohol.