An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drinks Beer Everyday But Not An Alcoholic?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by TripleD123, Mar 18, 2015.

1. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

My father drinks 4-6 beers every day and has done so for my entire life and most of his entire life. I try and talk to him about how bad this habit is for his body he tells me its the only way he is able to sleep at night. When I approach the subject of him being an alcoholic he tells me I am up in the night. He lacks energy through the day, he complains of having no motivation to do anything, and he sleeps until noon most days if not later. Obviously those are side effects of drinking and maybe an underlying problem due to poor health. I worry that he is just drinking himself into the ground but he will not stop what he does. How a liver can process that much beer (50 Years of it) is amazing to me.

I am just wondering if maybe I am over reacting. Is beer not that big of a deal? Am I wrong to call him an alcoholic?
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

He probably is an alcoholic. If he's functioning though, and able to maintain the same quality of living that he always has done then he's unlikely to see that there's a problem.

Beer still contains alcohol and just because it isn't as strong as wines and spirits doesn't mean it won't have an adverse effect on your health.
  3. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

You said it's affecting his life? Then he is an alcoholic. And the worse part is that he is unaware of that fact. Show him some awful pictures of alcoholics and addicts. That ought to change his mind. If it doesn't, I don't know what will.
  4. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

No you are not wrong because he is an alcohol base on his drinking habits. You should get professional help for him because his liver may be damaged and it may only be a matter of time before it starts to affect him. He needs medical and psychological help because he said that he can't sleep without drinking.
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

He is an alcoholic. Someone who drinks that much in a day obviously is. A lot of alcoholics don't realize what they are. Some just have more alcohol tolerance than the others. The only proof you'll ever need that he isn't an alcoholic is if he can live without alcohol for more than a year and still be okay and well-functioning. I think it's about time you intervene. Don't wait for him to admit to his alcohol addiction.
  6. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

Well it certainly doesn't do him any good, as that much alcohol everyday could still ruin a liver regardless of tolerance. But if you are unsure whether he is strictly defined as an alcoholic, ask him this question: "Can you stop drinking at any time you want?". In both cases the answer will probably be 'Yes', so it's up to you to determine if it's a lie or not.
  7. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

It sounds like self-medicating. Perhaps if he found a way to get down to the reason behind his being unable to drink he may not feel drinking is as necessary anymore. However, it may also be a situation where he is using an issue to justify a problem separate of each other. He could be an addict avoiding realization.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think this depends a lot on the individual. Its very easy for people to sit here and say 6 beers a day?! He's a alcoholic who needs help! When sometimes this isn't the case. My brother and father, both lead full lives, work 40+ hours a week and enjoy a family life but like to drink every night. When all the work is done for the day and they can relax a little, they open a few cans. I don't think this makes them alcoholics so like I said, it depends on the whole picture.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also think that he is an alcoholic.
    Drinking such amount of alcohol in the daily basis is already a proof of being alcoholic. He cannot managed to go on in a day without even drinking a beer that made him dependent on it.
  10. scootpony

scootpony Active Contributor

My husband drinks like that and has for most of his life. He's seventy now and is still in remarkably good health. I won't say he drinks like that every single day, but most times he does. He did quit for awhile at one time. For several years, in fact; but, obviously, has since gone back.

We do a lot of things together. Meaning that we are very active people. He says that the beer (and on rare occasions other spirits) is the one thing that helps him get past his arthritis pains.

He functions and I don't fuss because he is, after all, seventy. Well, I never fussed much before, either, but he's always been a good bit older than me.

I've found, personally, that you cannot really tell a person what and what not to do in their lives anyway. You can suggest (and pray). Maybe present some facts, though you have to be careful even with that as it can have an opposite than desired effect.

I know the habit it is likely having ill effects within the body. He knows it, too. His doctor says he should slow it down some but really says little because my husband is so healthy.

I've heard it said that a functioning alcoholic is the worst kind because they can go on until their health is ruined, and I believe it, but people do make their own choices.

I think I am fortunate in that my husband is still a very healthy man. Another person might not fare so well with such a habit. For what it's worth, I credit his health to the fact that he is very active and is also a very happy person. Plus, he has no other particularly unhealthy habits.

I also know that eventually it will catch up to him, but with the quality of life he now enjoys my feelings are on the fence in his case. I want him to live as long as he can, but I also want him to enjoy his life to the fullest in whatever way he that he can.

He's an unusual case, I believe, though I don't expect his continued good health forever. It's just like I said above. I'm on the fence with him and I suppose that both of us will have to accept whatever comes.

If it made him sleep every day and he seemed depressed, I would definitely feel otherwise. That would be, for me, a cause of great concern; but I still don't know exactly what I would do about it.

I hope you find a solution soon. God bless.

IMG_20150316_144717_689.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    TripleD123 likes this.
  11. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

A drink of beer is just as bad as a drink of anything else, assuming one doesn't drink by volume. I don't think four to six drinks is the worst thing in the world but there very well could be some addiction there. Pestering him about it may not be the best solution though. I've said this several times before about smoking. If someone tells me to quit smoking it stresses me out and I immediately go for a smoke.
    TripleD123 likes this.
  12. scootpony

scootpony Active Contributor

I have to agree with you there. Pestering somebody about anything doesn't tend to make them receptive. They might just decide they don't want anything to do with you after awhile. It's really difficult to know how to say the right things sometimes. Or to even know if there is a right thing to be said.

I think, though, if someone has no motivation to do anything and pretty much sleeps all the time except when they are supposed to, then there might be room for enough concern to try saying something whether it's right or it's wrong.

It just sounds so...depressing. It can't be healthy.
  13. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

If he can't go each day without his beers, then he is an alcoholic, but probably a functioning one. He may perhaps have some depression too since he lacks motivation to do anything. Has anyone talked to him about possible depression?
  14. TripleD123

Thank you for your personal experience with this. My dad is a good man and I don't want to pester him but I also want him around as long as possible. I worry that once he figures out his bad habits are really bad habits it will be too late to try and right any wrongs.

Your words are supportive an encouraging. Thank you.
  15. TripleD123

Yes, I believe he just recently got back on paxil which has seemed to help his mood and he seems happier but he does still complain about lack of energy and no motivation to get out of his chair during the day. He does suffer from anxiety so there is that. I just worry about the no energy and sleep problems. Seems like something isn't right in the department.
  16. westmixxin

westmixxin Active Contributor

some people drink alcohol because they have anxiety but some individuals are high functioning alcoholics they really can drink a large amount of alcohol and still perform regular everyday tasks. It really just depends on what type of person he is. Is it affecting him in a negative way if so he needs to stop immediately.
  17. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I am sorry to say this but I'm afraid that your dad is probably an alcoholic. My dad used to say to me too that drinking helps him to sleep at night. And he became dependent on it. Eventually he contacted liver disease because of too much drinking. Well, I hope this doesn’t happen to your dad. He really needs your help and support. I wish you the best of luck and I really do hope that he gets through this.
  18. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think there a difference though between drinking out of habit and drinking because of alcoholism.
    A habit is something you do because your used to it or because your bored. If your dad as drunk 4/6 beers every night all his life then I personally don't see that as a big issue. If he couldn't live without doing that, then it becomes a problem, if your concerned then mention it to him, but I certainly wouldn't go saying he's an alcoholic just yet.
  19. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

He is somewhat an alcoholic, that is what I can say,since he says it helps him to sleep at nigh, but the same time he sleeps untill noon, which shows that there is a disturbing sleep pattern, showing that the alcohol still does not help him as much as he thinks, he is tired the next day a sign of being hangover, so I will say it again he is an alcoholic.
  20. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

He might not be a flat out alcoholic, but I do see a dependency just to get by and a somewhat normal life. I think there are other things that can be done for him to get a good nights rest. Daily exercise to where he gets so tired at the end of the day that he just falls asleep due to exhaustion, is one way. Getting some sun is another.