An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Driving While High

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by AAngelo, Jul 27, 2015.

1. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

Has anybody tried driving while high? I've got a friend who still smokes a ton of weed a day. He insists it helps when he works. It's crazy cause when I smoke and get high, I lie around and can't move. This guy would drive to the drive thru and pick up some burgers. It really is dangerous. But this guy just does it all the time and nothing ever happens.
  2. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

I've never done it, but literally all of my friends do it and even my own mother does it. None of them have gotten into any trouble and a few of them swear it makes them better drivers because it forces to focus more and pay attention to the road.
  3. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I never drove when I smoked Marijuana a long time ago because I was too scared to. It does give you more mental focus, but I was always too nervous that I would do something stupid. It is never a good idea to get behind the wheel under the influence of anything because you put yourself and others at risk.
  4. juanperez1990

juanperez1990 Active Contributor

I did. As a matter of fact I smoked blunts while driving pretty much daily. Bump some music and toke on my way to the Chinese restaurant. Ah, good times! Is it dangerous? Not for an avid smoker as myself during that time. I remember the first time I smoked a blunt, though! I tried driving and kept doing stupid things such as stopping at green lights or waiting for stop sings to go green lol I would say it is safe as long as you're not stoned. For those of you who've never tried it: there's different levels of high. You don't take a puff and get stoned, that's silly thinking! Also, I can relate to the "it makes me a better driver" crew. It really does. I said it before: weed will make mundane tasks entertaining. Driving is no exception.

That being said, please don't smoke and drive. The fact you can deal with your smoking doesn't mean you are not impaired. It is not that different than driving after having 3 beers, which is something I used to do as well. I also felt like those three beers made me better behind the wheel, but countless studies show otherwise. I remember one time while driving high I was so concentrated into finding a radio station than for a second I forgot I was driving! I was far from having an accident, and I'm sure we've all been distracted while driving before, but still, why increase the chances you'll get yourself and others into an accident and possibly a tragedy?
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I know quite a few people who do this regularly and I used to do it myself years ago. It's a big issue now in the UK though and the police are now testing drivers at the roadside for cannabis and cocaine. Several arrests have already been made. In the UK, if you are caught driving under the influence of marijuana, then you are going to be arrested and locked up and they will not let you drive until they think you are sober. Smoking in a car when children are in the car is now also illegal too.
  6. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

Would you drive drunk? Then don't drive while you're high. It's simple as that to me. I know some people say it makes them better drivers, but like any mind altering substance, you can't tell how impaired you are at that point. Drunk people think they're driving great when in reality they're on the wrong side of the road.
  7. Emerson_B

Emerson_B Active Contributor

Nothing ever happens does not mean that nothing will ever happen. If someone is high with whatever drug or substance, their judgement is clouded and their functionality is limited even if they think they are fully capable.
  8. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Studies have shown that drivers who were driving under the influence of marijuana were actually more cautious, more aware and more focused. They actually drove better than those who were sober. However, in legal terms (and in terms of psychological calibration), this is still considered an impairment in perception and is therefore not considered safe. I do not agree with driving whilst under the influence of drugs by the way, I just wanted to point this out.
  9. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

Honestly, I've never heard a news story where someone was killed or injured and the driver of the offending vehicle was found to be high on marijuanna. I'm sure it's happened, but I've never heard of it. We always think of those who are high being quite chill as they drive and driving too slow if anything. I certainly don't recommend driving under the influence of ANY substance but just tossing in my 2 cents as far as my observations.
  10. Goldkirin

Goldkirin Member

While I agree with the principal of not driving under the influence, it raises the question as to measuring the degree to which you are impaired. Alcohol can be measured with enough accuracy that results from field tests are rarely overturned. Can THC content be measured in the same manner? What are the levels to which you are considered "impaired"? Can that be accurately measured on the spot? Does usage from several days past influence the test?
    These questions coupled with some states legalizing marijuana make for a murky pool for enforcing public safety on our roads. I'm all for people not driving high, but what they do at home or otherwise is none of my concern.
  11. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Almost all of my friends did it, but personally haven't until now, and trust me on the fact I don't plan to do it any soon. Why would someone expose himself to such oblivious risk of losing life?
  12. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I don't mind driving while stoned, or being a passenger to someone who is stoned - but actively doing it in the car? Heck no. Even in a rural area like mine, it's asking for trouble. If you're going to do it, do it in moderation and before or after you drive. It's okay to be buzzed or stoned while driving, but it's not fine to actively smoke blunts on "high rides" because then the full effect of the THC hits you like a rush while using a vehicle that could end life in the blink of an eye. Not worth it.

I've never seen anyone smoke before or after that has any issues driving or any accidents. It's only those who try to be "badass" but blitzing a blunt in the backseat that turn into crash sites or stupid **** happens. Leave it for the comfort of homes (Yours or a friends) if you do it at all.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend doing it though. There's just so many negatives and no positive outweighs it - it's really not worth it.
  13. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Some people are like that and they are putting their lives and other lives at risk because they believe that weed is harmless if you drive. Weed will slow down your response time. So it's best not to smoke it at all especially if you are going to drive.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah, everyone is different. My friend was telling me about this guy she dated. He was a back door guy. I said what the heck is that? She said the kind of guy you bring in the back door cause you don't want anyone to see him You are not proud of him another words. She said he was fun but a real problem, like all the time. He was doing lines of cocaine all day long. The night time would come and he was smoking pot to chill out. I said to her why would you date someone like this. She said he didn't let her see. I said how did you know? She said I didn't know it's just the only thing I could think of that would justify how much he lied. How he acted. He would pass out at night so early, drooling. She wouldn't get into the whole thing but she said he claimed not to like drugs.
    I asked her if she ever smelled the pot. She said she thought he was eating it. He was just bazaar, you could not have a conversation with him like he was really there. It was like he was on mars all the time. He was kind of wimp she said so she thought he needed the cocaina.
    I don't know but I guess some people need it to exist whether it's marijuana or whatever.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  15. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I did back before I had my full license. Honestly, I don't see it being as bad as drunk driving. Whether or not it increases your chances of accidents though, I'm not quite sure.
  16. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

How exactly is spending time with someone like that even remotely fun?? I guess if you are into the drugs yourself it would be but it sounds like your friend isn't.
  17. ajzappola

ajzappola Member

I haven't smoked in years but I remember being annoyed that my ex husband was such an excellent driver when he was baked, and yet I could not even leave my house for the incessant paranoia that I always fell into. Eventually i stopped smoking altogether. What I do know now though, is that even in states where Marijuana is legal or provisionally legal (like here in Nevada where medical marijuana is widely available) it is illegal to drive while under the influence. It makes sense then, to never drive while high. You will get in the same amount of trouble as you would drunk driving.
  18. GabinoTapia

GabinoTapia Active Contributor

For every person it is different, many people do feel the same effects but some may or may not feel them even worse. For example, some people only feel hungry and others takes time, while some may not feel anything at all and to those who do not feel it at all they may not even know they are feeling anything at all they may just believe that they are high when they are really not even high. But one should always be careful with what they are doing while being high because one can never be to sure of what could happen one day. It also depend where the person lives because they could live in a very populated city and it could even be more dangerous than it already is. In my opinion, i think that you should talk to your friend and just sit down and talk about it because you may one day not have the chance to tell him/her is they keep doing so.
  19. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

Not everyone reacts to drugs the same. Some people have a higher tolerance while others have a lower one. That being said, driving while high is definitely something that should be avoided. Not only is that person putting themselves in danger, but they are also posing a danger to the drivers around them. This would be an example of a drug causing a rippling effect. Some people say that it is not as bad as drunk driving, but I believe that they are both equally bad. They both pose a threat to other people on the road.
  20. 6up

6up Community Champion

Driving under influence of drugs might impair your judgement. When you drive while you are high, you may assume other road signs thereby causing an accident. It is a habit that should be avoided. If you know of a driver who drives while high please don't board his vehicle.