An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Driving While High

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by AAngelo, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Those cars you see full of smoke, rolling down a window just to breathe fresh air? THOSE are the problem drivers.

A person who has smoked like 20 minutes prior to driving, is fine.

A person who smokes after? Not even an issue.

The issue is driving under the influence - and if you're constantly putting yourself under the influence in a state of smoking-while-driving, you're the problem.
  2. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

Driving while high is a terrible thing to do since it puts not only you, but others at risk. Although it is relatively safer than driving while drunk, both should be avoided. There is very little need to do either and careful planning ahead of the scenario will limit the need to drive while under any state altering substance.
  3. McGuire

McGuire Member

I use to drive while high or while smoking with friends and it never really made a difference. Hell it might have even made me more alert and focused on the road than I usually would be.. But I can say for sure it depends who you are and how it effects you.. I have some friends and a girlfriend that smoke and wont/cant drive because they just cant focus and dont want to, they want to relax...

One thing that really annoys me, though, is when people compare driving while high to driving while under the influence of alcohol. I have driven high many many times and have never crashed, had any type of accident, or even pulled over. But I guarantee if I risked it with alcohol one time I wouldnt be able to drive straight..

I bet I could have taken the DMV test stoned and passed with flying colors :p
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I don't know how to drive, but when I already know how, I certainly won't drive when I'm under the influence of marijuana because it might endanger me when it's effects kick in, because it's either I'm very hyper or very depressed when I smoke weed.
  5. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Interesting I always found that I drove better drunk than sober. This was during a time of occasional drinking. I think because of the fact that one might get caught they would be more careful. I certainly drive better now since I don't mess with any of this stuff.