An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drop In Support Group?

Discussion in 'Other Recovery Support Groups' started by Skyler, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Skyler

Skyler Member

I am thinking about support groups as an additional 'tool in the toolbox' for helping me navigate through a journey of sobriety. I’ve gone to a support group for some health related issues in the past and it was something that you could just drop in if you wanted.

If I was to choose some sort of support program (other than being here), I think something like a Smart Recovery Program would be more of a fit for me than a 12 Step. From what I’ve been reading it looks like a course that you take. Is that right? I'm interested in programs maybe initially but an ongoing group dynamic really appeals to me.
  2. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

The smart recovery program sounds like something amazing! I wish there were that kind of programs where I will be living, I'm kinda tired of the 12 step program, because it just doesn't seem to work for atheist people. Plus all those 12 steps and the mention if all those faulty personality characters? It can be a bit repetitive at times, hence I no longer go to meetings, same with my mom (I wish she would though).
  3. juno

juno Community Champion

I think a support group is an excellent way to stay on track after finishing a program and it is the right way to go. There are many support groups that are also drop in, where you can join and continue to attend when you can. This provides some consistency as to the facilitator of the group and some regular familiar faces.
  4. Tallyho

Tallyho Active Contributor

I agree, that sounds like a great idea, and is something I've kind of wanted to try myself. Where I live, we have very few support groups at all, let alone open in-and-out ones, so I'm afraid I don't know much about it. That said, I wish you the best of luck!