An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drug abuse among writers and artists.

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Eleanor, May 12, 2016.

1. Eleanor

Eleanor Member

First, I'd like to clarify that I'm not reffering to the "party animal" mentality that the music industry & Hollywood has established.
    I'm referring to the substance use among people who feel that they need it in order to create. Often times we see people who testify that they know full well what it does to their body, yet continue to use in order to bring themselves into that creative process that builds masterpieces. As they describe it , it's a very particular state of mentality where they are able to express themselves more deeply with their words or music or movies. Some people feel that they need to concentrate more and focus on stimulants like adderal or cocaine, while others feel they need to escape their feelings and go numb with sedatives like opiods.

In such situations, many of them are under the impression that sobriety will cost them their job.

What is it that you suppose contributes to a person latching their entire career on a "fix"?
  2. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I suppose that these are self imposed viewpoints since some of the best writers are teetotallers. It is true that drugs might bring a temporary sense of elation which conjures up new possibilities but then again this is false creativity since it is contrived and derived from a state of being not the inherent ability artists pride themselves in. I have tried that in the past and come to the conclusion that the only thing drugs aid somebody with is countering monotony and boredom as well as mental fatigue during the thought process. But in the long run it creates a wreck whe can't function without boosting his personality with drugs.
  3. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think the artistic drive that is in writers and other artists fuels the desire to write, and those who do use are frequently just as well thought of and creative after they quit. Look at Paul McCartney and Stephen King for instance.
    I mean alcohol and drugs change your mindset and your let brain relax to a certain extent..but in no way do I think they are necessary for the creative process.
  4. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Interesting topic... I've heard a few artists saying that they need the effect of drugs/alcohol in order to create art and it's pretty sad if you think about it, because without it they wouldn't be able to create art and basically all their career depends on that. And as you've said a lot of them think that they have the control on their bodies when it comes to "control" their addiction but you know, is never enough, it would be harmful for them at one point or another.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I actually heard my stepson saying that he smokes weed because it brings out his creative side. He is a musician and artist. He said without the weed he just doesn't think the same way as he does when he is high.
  6. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I think it's because of a certain feeling of dependency on that substance. Maybe for years and years they have used that substance to help in creating music or scripts. But the reality is, creativity stems from the inside. You can be creative while being sober or clean. And that feeling of dependency on substances might even be addiction already. Are you willing to risk your entire life, not just your career, to create something while on drugs?

For me, you have to believe in yourself. You are you, even without the drugs or alcohol. You can be creative without them because lots of people are. These aren't catalysts that fuel your passion. You can be passionate, driven and talented even without them. And the sooner you realise that, the better it is for you and the people around you.

There reality is, you cannot control drug use. There will come a point that you'd just be addicted and it will ruin your life. You're better of honing your natural talents and skills without it.
  7. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

This is a tough one for me. I don't think people should pick up drugs for creative writing and/or any sort of creative process, but I can understand why they do it. When you're under the influence of certain drugs, there are tons of amazing ideas that come into mind. I used to spend a huge chunk of my time writing music while under the influence. Some of the best music I've written came from drugs, but it doesn't make me want to pick them up again.
  8. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I would say that it's the altered states of consciousness induced by the substances. The reason I say that is because your comments reminded me of many artistic or creative people who seemed to derive their inspiration from it, such as Aldous Huxley and Hunter S Thompson.