An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drug abuse needs to be less 'cool'

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Disasterpiece89, Jul 11, 2015.

1. It is so deeply ingrained into our culture that drug abuse is the cool and popular thing to do, and this needs to be changed. How can we effectively influence this change across the world? In order to be taken seriously, there must be a certain way that people can do this without just inducing laughter from the drug-loving community. Without being negative towards the drug culture, perhaps the answer lies within actively canonizing and building up the social image of those who abstain.
    jbbarn likes this.
  2. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I'd want to see Hollywood making ''abstaining'' cool :p Now that would be something I'd love to see! Sadly they have worked so hard to make using drugs, smoking and drinking alcohol so good among young people. Back when I was growing up you had to either drink or do drugs if you wanted to be part of a group and keep being invited to parties, otherwise they'd tag you as a boring person.

I think it would take a lot effort to change the current views our societies have on drugs, so hard, because everything e watch on TV is ads, movies or TV shows that want to make drugs and alcohol as something cool and fun or just plain make fun of it.
    Disasterpiece89 and jbbarn like this.
  3. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Contributor

I agree with you 100%! I hear that thread of thought running through society. With the trend toward legalizing marijuana picking up steam all over the country, it can only get worse. When society decided that smoking cigarettes wasn't cool, addiction started to drop off. It would be nice if we could get people to think the same way about drugs.
    Disasterpiece89 likes this.
  4. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

YES!
    Question is how can we reach the next generation of young people?
    The DARE from the 80's didn't work, jeeze it actually made things worst!
    Kids seem to think it's cool to do things we tell them not too, perhaps if we tell them drugs are bad and terrible and will mess up your life but we still want you to do them they will listen (that's a little humor from an old timer.)
    But this thread is spot on the "what needs to be done" we just have to figure out the "how to do it."
    Disasterpiece89 likes this.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While it's true that drugs and the culture surrounding them does get portrayed as being cool, I wouldn't say that it's the main reason people take them.

Everyone is capable of making their own decisions, and I'm sure everybody is more than aware of how dangerous drugs can be, so just because something looks cool, people won't all of a sudden try it.
  6. xraycookie

xraycookie Member

One solution I've seen proposed, although it's quite brutal, is to have kids watch "Requiem for a dream" in school. I mean if that doesn't scare them away from drugs, nothing will. "Trainspotters" might work as well.
    Another way to reach them could be an immersive game in which they'd have to deal with addiction. It could have objectives like managing daily life, money, their health etc.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

It is true that it does get glamorized to a certain extent these days - but I think there's also a lot of evidence pointing towards why you shouldn't do drugs either. So many celebrities have passed away due to their drug abuse.

Honestly if anything I would say that even with sometimes drug use being glamorized the number of publicized celebrity deaths makes me think it's s bad path to follow.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Harness the power of social media to change how the public looks at drugs. I believe that currently the best way to reach young people is to find them where they hang out [on social media] and give them the message but whether they'll listen or not is another thing altogether. So if only the owners of social media sites were to place an anti-drugs message on their homepage where it will be seen by everyone [who wants to login to the site(s)] maybe it would help a little.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Drug abuse is considered "cool" because the media conveys to the audience that using drugs. alcohol, and other substances is cool. I mean, whenever we watch a movie or a show or even a music video, we always see the popular kids in school doing cocaine, smoking weed, getting drunk, and all of those stuff. I think it is time to change it now and ditch this myth.
  10. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

The idea of doing drugs being cool believe it or not has a whole lot of reasons behind it. I'm not saying drugs are good or something, but people who use drugs are usually cool, either they gain some deep knowledge about themselves and others or they simply know how to have fun.
  11. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

I know what you mean about this, actually. There does seem to be a sort of "coolness" about taking drugs, especially the way that it is portrayed on the television and on the big screen. You don't, however, see the sad side to the addiction all that often, which is a real shame, as it is that part that hurts people the most. More education needs to be given about the parts of addiction that we don't get to see, as it is those parts that people need to be aware of.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I never see drug abuse or addiction cool. It will be great if drug abuse is seen as dangerous and not cool at all. Look more on the side effects of illegal drugs on those famous actors or celebrities and not to follow them.
  13. srofltank

srofltank Member

I don't think drug users necessarily use drugs because it's "cool" but rather because of other factors. Perhaps most drug users begin their addiction because of a mental problem like depression or anxiety, or because they are influenced by a person (similar to them thinking it's cool but I still think it's different). I've known a variety of people who have chosen to smoke marijuana because of anxiety.