An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drug Addicts?

Discussion in 'Warning Signs of Drug Abuse' started by Lucy, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Lucy

Lucy Member

I was trying to help this drug addict. But he just ended up wishing death upon me. Then he ended up wanting to kill me even though I didn't talk to him anymore. Most drug addicts aren't like this right? I am thinking it was just because he didn't care and didn't want help.
  2. Gin0710

Gin0710 Active Contributor

If he is threatening to kill you it goes beyond being an addict. He might need mental help. That doesn't sound like a safe situation for you to be in. I hope you don't have children. I would suggest keeping your distance from him. Plain and simple.
  3. Juan

Juan Active Contributor

Not every drug addict will threaten to kill you, but every drug addict who just doesn't want help will get defensive or elusive when confronted. You have to be very careful when approaching a drug addict to talk about his addiction, or maybe trying to get someone more experienced into helping addicts involved.

On the other hand, if these are serious threats, you should think about calling the police. As Gino710 said, he might need mental help, and might end up harming people if he doesn't get it.
  4. Askani

Askani Active Contributor

Not all people addicted to drugs are out to kill you. Every person out there is different and acts differently when it comes to getting their "hit" of drugs of choice. I have seen many crack heads around the neighborhood where I grew up that worked their butts off to get paid so they could go get high. It depends on the person. Mentally, any drug addict who is on the streets is a potential danger, because many see robbing you as something they have to do in order to get a fix. That doesn't mean every person who does drugs is out to get you though.
    Jen S. likes this.
  5. Gin0710

Gin0710 Active Contributor

Yes, Askani, but whether or not he or she is going to follow through with their threat, it's the threat that makes a person uncomfortable. Who knows what a person is capable of if they're desperate for drugs or whatever they want. It's better to be safe than to worry about it everyday if they're going to follow through.
  6. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

Your intentions were good, and that's nice to hear. But the fact that it's already compromising your safety is something that's alarming. Call the attention of an authorized person, a police maybe, because this is getting out of hand and we don't want you getting hurt.
  7. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hi Lucy,
    No. Most drug addicts are not homicidal. Most people in general are not homicidal. I would recommend filing a police report/requesting a personal protection order from your magistrate if you believe you're at risk.
    Askani likes this.
  8. Askani

Askani Active Contributor

Exactly. If you feel threatened or in danger I would recommend contacting the authorities. They have to respond and at least you will have a record of the incident in case it happens again so they will do something about it and not pass it off thinking nothing is really going on. It's always better to be safe than sorry when drugs are involved.
    Jen S. likes this.
  9. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Bingo. Also going to add that a threat (even one you can prove in writing/text/voicemail) may not actually be enough for a magistrate to issue you a personal protection order.

It depends on the judge, obviously, but I remember having a pretty bad experience trying to do this/not understanding exactly how the law worked.

What I walked away with, instead of a PPO, was determination. To document, record and report any shenanigans whatsoever with the authorities. Building a case like this is what gets you the PPO if you're shot down the first time around like I was.

You know what they say about it only taking one bad apple to spoil the bunch? That applies here. Too many spiteful/vindictive people have accused others of threatening or actually causing them harm. LOL sad.