An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drug and Alcohol Addictions?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by codeofthegrave, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Is drug & alcohol addiction really a disease, why does it cause you to hurt so many people especially family members and lose all your valuables including careers? Can you ever fully trust those who are caught up in these addiction, will they always focus on themselves, will the worrying ever stop, that you have about the drugs leading to death for them? Can an addict be cured from this addiction? Do you believe that a spiritual relationship with God is the best solution?
  2. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

As a recovered alcoholic myself (4 years sober) I can add my experience to answer your question.

I went in to rehab in 2006 and completed the AA 12 step program of recovery, I know it works because I've seen it's results on hundreds of people in the past four years.

The 12 step program is a very simple program, it's not easy but it's very simple, some rehab centres only detox people who usually relapse at a later date because the cause of the alcoholism hasn't been addressed, the 12 step program rarely fails those who practice it, it has helped millions of people recover since it's inception in 1935, just going to AA meetings may not work, people who want to recover choose a 'sponsor' at their AA meeting, this sponsor takes them through the program if they stick to the program they recover, it's doing the program that gets you sober, going to meetings keep you sober.

I'm afraid your friend did not complete the program or stick to it, it's as simple as that.

I'm an atheist, so while believing in god helps a lot of people, it's not a requirement, I know several alcoholic vicars in AA and also a nun, a person who wants to recover chooses their own interpretation of god, or a higher power.

Alcoholics and drug addicts are never cured, they are considered incurable diseases, just like diabetes is a disease, however just like diabetes it can be controlled, I call myself a recovered alcoholic because I'm recovered from the mental obsession to drink alcohol, I never want to drink it again, but I'm still an alcoholic in the sense that I can never drink again.

Alcoholics and drug addicts alike lose sight of everything except the alcohol or drug, it comes before family, job, health and the law.

I now work in a rehab centre myself, so I can tell you for certain that alcoholism IS a disease, it's nothing at all with being weak willed, in AA I've met a high court judge, several priests, doctors and teachers, two millionaires and even a nun, alcoholism knows no boundaries, take it from someone who KNOWS, not THINK they know.
  3. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

Not all people lose their jobs and homes. Is there anyone that we can really trust in the world anymore? Its the same with an addict and non-addict. The only people that worry about addicts are family and loved ones. Addicts can be cured, or a better word managed. AA (alcoholics anonymous) is a 12 step program based on a god but i know a lot of alcoholics who all went through it and I have yet to see it work.
  4. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

Alcohol is part of many people's lives and may have a place in cultural and family traditions. It can sometimes be hard to know when you begin to drink too much. Alcoholic rehabilitation or alcohol rehab is a process by which the addicts try their level best to cure their alcohol addiction problem with the suitable therapeutic aid from expert physicians. An addict would always require the aid of alcohol to keep him functioning in a normal manner. Most of the alcohol rehab centres would feature inpatient and outpatient treatment facilities. Inpatient facility is meant for patients who are hardcore drinkers. Outpatient facility is meant for nominal to moderate drinkers.
  5. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

It's about not being able to control yourself and take things in moderation. It's quite sad. My brother is an alcoholic, but I am not. I enjoy alcohol but know how to keep my intake in moderation.

It's like eating a whole turkey as opposed to eating just your fill. Some people eat themselves sick or to obesity. Same thing....not a disease, but lack of self discipline.
  6. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

its up to the person doing these things to himself.
    because unfortunately, he is the only person that could change and no one oculd convince him to do otherwise. i also think that the people who are hurting are only hurt because they think of it as "this person is throwing his life away" or he's "damaging" himself.. but i think that really addiction is just psychological. a person can and should have the power to get over things easily. you can experiment and have fun for a while, but always be true to yourself and know what you're doing to yourself. no one else is getting hurt but yourself. so one should be wise enough. if not, then i hope this person has close friends to notice and get this person some help.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

A lot of people do recover from these addictions but to say they are actually cured is a different matter. I think once the addiction as been brought under control, that's when the battle really starts as its always too easy to fall back in to your old ways.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Is drug & alcohol addiction really a disease, why does it cause you to hurt so many people especially family members and lose all your valuables including careers?

Addiction can be considered a disease because it alters the chemical balance of the brain making the addict re-evaluate their priorities. To them, drugs come first before anything else. That would explain why they'll hurt everyone and won't care whether they lose their jobs or not. They do the bidding of their new master — drugs.

Can you ever fully trust those who are caught up in these addiction, will they always focus on themselves, will the worrying ever stop, that you have about the drugs leading to death for them?
    Once you've been hurt by someone you trusted, obviously you'll not find it easy to trust them again but if they do enough to earn your trust once then yes, it's possible to trust that person again. we all make mistakes and others forgive us. Why should we forgive addicts when they do something we don't like?

Can an addict be cured from this addiction?
    As long as they are willing and ready to fight their addiction, there's no addiction that can't be overcome.

Do you believe that a spiritual relationship with God is the best solution?
    For some people it is, for others it isn't.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Addiction is considered as a disease aside from it can also cause illnesses like damages in the internal organs and mental illnesses. I have watched some documentaries of those used to be addicts who totally get rid of their addiction so, it can be cured. Spiritual will work to those who have faith and it might not be applicable for everyone.
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I consider addiction as a disease, and just like any other disease/illness, I believe that there's a cure for it. And yes, I really think people who have some sort of addiction issues are still capable of being changed for the better as long as they put all their heart and mind into their goal. There is no hopeless case. And yes, I believe that having a personal relationship with God is one way of effectively overcoming their old ways/habits/vices.
  11. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

You should know that it is hard to trust anyone. Irrespective of their status when it comes to drugs addiction. It has nothing to do with being addicted or not.
    In some countries, drinking alcohol is considered as part of their tradition. They take it during celebration periods and on many other occasions. The most important thing is to be able to control one's self when drinking. There is a very thin line between being a drunkard and just drinking. I think alcohol can be seen as a disease, but not in all instances.