An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drug is oftentimes a way of masking problems

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Nikkishea21, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

I know that some of the trials and tribulations that we go through in life at times seem to become extreme to the point where there seem not to be any way out. If there is just one thing that could make us forget all about the bills, heartbreak, the grief and the depression that we sink into. Drugs can in fact act as a mask and make us forget about it all, but for how long? At some point reality will again sink in and things will just be even worse for us to endure. Problems are best taken on head on, even when you do not see a way out it is important to remain focus as it makes no sense we try to look away when it is right there staring us in the face.
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

That's what I had to remember when coming out of my addiction. I felt like drinking was just a Band-Aid fix. It covered the problem for a little while but didn't really heal it, if that makes sense. I had to learn better coping mechanisms for times when I was stressed, upset, frustrated and so forth, rather than just turning to a bottle and expecting it to be a magic fix for everything. Ultimately all it did was block out the problem for a short period of time, but then reality did come back!
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That's absolutely true. Some people would resort to drug abuse because they want to find a way to escape their problems. Instead of facing their issues in life, they just try to run away from them. Sadly, that's the problem with most people nowadays. I wonder when will they start realizing that running away from your problems and turning to drugs will never be the solution.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Some people initially start using drugs to cope with some issues which they think they can't solve. These problems don't just go away. To avoid facing reality they'd have to keep using drugs until they can't stop . . . because they are addicted.

Addicts ought to examine their lives, identify the issues that need to be addressed and do something . . .

It's the only way to seize freedom [from drugs]
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

A lot of people do turn to drink and drugs when they're going through a bad time in their life, as it's often seen as an escape route and a way of running away and not facing up to problems.

Most of the time the person doesn't even realise that they're falling into that trap and the cycle of abuse, and that's what the real danger is, as once you are in that cycle of addiction, it's a hard to escape from.
  6. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I agree with you. Also, people not only use dugs as a mask, that also can happen with work or even with sleeping. A lot of people don't want to face their really and they try to avoid it doing those things... But as you've said, reality will hit us sooner or later, and it's hard, but the best thing that we can do is face it maturely and making the best decisions for us.
  7. LindaSuzanne

LindaSuzanne Active Contributor

My son used to make me feel that I had caused his drug addiction because I didn't love him enough when he was young but I knew this wasn't true because he was the light of my life when he was a little boy and no one could have loved him more.

Later on he admitted that the only reason he had taken them was because he found it exciting. He actually wanted to do it just for the hell of it, to have fun with his peers, and didn't realise he would become addicted. I guess that sometimes it really is that simple and there is no underlying deep rooted cause.
  8. norms options

norms options Active Contributor

The biggest problem is that the problems don't go away just because they are masked by drugs or alcohol for a little while. Whenever you sober up, the problems are still there waiting for you, so you might as well just face them and try to continue to resolve the issues as they come up. masking them through using is just a sign of weakness, and one that I have fallen into as well, so I am speaking from experience, but once you start resolving the issues it gives you strength to continue.
  9. afriendinneed

afriendinneed Member

I agree with a lot of your points, but we should be careful about calling people that turn to drugs as weak. Life is just hard. It's difficult to escape the challenges of life sometimes. My own life has been difficult, but not nearly as challenging as other people I know. From people with ptsd to others dealing with sexual abuse, sometimes drugs and alcohol particularly are the only outlets people know to turn to in order to escape their problems. Now is this the right decision? No, but it's certainly better than other choices. I know people who would have killed themselves if not for the escape that alcohol offered them. They weren't ready to deal with the pain through counseling and other more appropriate means, so they turned to alcohol instead. Sure, they could have chosen something else instead of alcohol. But it's a lot better than committing suicide.
  10. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Drugs are almost alwyas a way of hiding and masking problems, not a lot of people do the drugs after so long for that they make them feel like, it is more for what they make them forget and not feel.
  11. 6up

6up Community Champion

When we are sober then we start thinking about our stressful moments. We first need to solve pending issues before we can resolve to taking drugs. We tend to satisfy ourselves without knowing that there is a future waiting for us.
  12. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I have seen this happen. I am actually a bit afraid right now... to get bad news from my new neurosurgeon. I am afraid that I might go back to using some sort of drugs... pills or whatever just to mask my feelings. I am so afraid of that, but I know I am stronger than that, but you never truly know unless you are in that situation. I honestly hope not :( But to tell you the truth I am scared right now. my health is not well, and I know I can be so weak when I am very depressed. God help me!
  13. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

You are absolutely right. Taking drugs can only sooth you for awhile. When you wake up, then you will realize that the reality is still before.
  14. I don't think I started drinking because of any particular reason. I was so young and I drank once in a while until it just became normal to have a beer all of the time. Now that I see the way it has affected me in different ways I wish it could have been different. It's nothing but a struggle now almost 30 years later. Young people, just don't start!
    LindaSuzanne likes this.
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

You are right that getting into addiction will not truly solve the problem and instead would give more problems. Better to deal with problems probably and be able to be stronger against those temptations.
  16. JayLyn

JayLyn Active Contributor

Yes, substances are definitely used to escape from problems and are sometimes used to self-medicate mental health issues but like others who have replied, I have learned that all using does is compound the problems and debilitate you further mentally. I would use to make myself forget about my stress and then when the drugs were gone I would have just that much more stress. It was a catch 22 with no end in sight. It got so I could barely stand living. My anxiety and depression reached new levels until all I did was use and look for ways to use and in doing that I created such a narrow world for myself I shut a number of the things that I first used to escape from, out of my life. In this sense it worked but at what cost? In order to not worry about responsibilities, I created a life for myself in which I had none, but those responsibilities included two beautiful children who are now lost to me.
    Try and stop using to mask your fears and worries or you might find out that you don't have those things to worry about anymore but for reasons you didn't anticipate