An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drug Testing for Government

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by JonnyMacdonald, Jun 25, 2015.

1. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

On here I am part of a great discussion about drug testing medical professionals.
    Last night a good friend of mine and I met up. One of our topics of conversation was should you have to be drug tested to receive government benefits like welfare, unemployment or disability.
    What do you guys think?
  2. Liv6

Liv6 Member

I think that everyone should receive those benefits, regardless of whether or not you're on drugs. It'd be difficult for some who are trying to kick the habit only to find out that they're not supported by the government for their health. While I understand that some misuse these benefits from the government for drugs, you have to give people the benefit of the doubt. They still need money to survive, too, whether or not they're on drugs.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Would keeping drug addicts off welfare help?

Yes I know there are people who trade their food stamps for a little money so they can buy drugs but I don't think they'd stop using drugs if they no longer got anything from the government. Since they must get their "fix" anyway, we'd see a spike in crimes.

IMHO, depriving those who really need the government's help would end up making the problem worse. Try to picture someone who can't get hired because they have a drug problem and the government's aid is unavailable to him, what will he do to survive? Mug? Kill? Now multiply those numbers by one hundred thousand . . . think of how unsafe everyone would be.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  4. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

I think people on government benefits like food stamps, section 8, etc should be tested - but that a dirty drop shouldn't mean they lose benefits automatically. If you're using, then some other conditions start applying like having to work with a counselor, etc.
    Only people who completely refuse to take any steps to help themselves, and who don't have children in their custody, should be totally cut off from benefits for using.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

There seems to be a great myth that everybody who receives benefits are alcoholics, drug abusers and work shy, lazy people and that's simply not the case.

People who ask for help, shouldn't have to be tested for any type of drug or alcohol abuse before they get it in my opinion.
  6. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Of course it's not the case! Many people just need a helping hand sometimes, we all have ups and downs.
    I guess the only thing that really bugs me is young people who are fully capable of being productive members of society and CHOOSE not too. They just collect benefits and do nothing all day (smoke pot and cigarettes, drink and do drugs, watch TV and play video games.) I guess it's frustrating to people who work and pay into that system to have to work so hard so someone else does not.
    It's also not fair to the people that NEED those benefits, to be given such a bad name by the few social parasites.

I don't think we should be testing, but I get why many people do.
    Why should I pay for your bad habits?
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Maybe they could do some sort of research first before approving a government help or benefit for a person. Like if the person is really not capable of working or just being lazy like what have been mentioned here about the younger people who just chose not to work.