An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drug Testing For Welfare?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by sonia11, Sep 8, 2015.

1. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Well, it's relatively easy, I think. Once you are in the system, the social workers get access to your criminal record. If you have a DUI or had been busted for taking drugs in the past, tough luck, you are in the top of the list of the people who get surprise drug tests.

Then, I'd rule out the old people and focus on the 18-30 age group initially. I'd do random tests, but respecting the same rule as above. In time, you should be able to clean the welfare system of leeches. I'd do the same with abusive people (wife beaters especially), people who refused more than 2 job offers and so on.

There are solutions, though the politicians need votes and therefore, will protect certain... groups.
  2. melody

melody Active Contributor

You know what. You are right, here is the big problem with that. Most counties ask about a criminal record, but trust the applicant to be honest. However, arrests are public record, and there is no reason they couldn't be tied into that system through their computers.

I like your idea for the age group, there are probably lots of studies which show what age groups are the biggest offenders. Randoms would be important. I would assume most people could get clean if they knew it was coming.

There are lots of solutions, I just don't think the politicians are thinking correctly.
  3. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

This one kinda hits close to home now.i have a friend whose husband just got fired for popping on a UA, now they are going to DSHS for emergency help, is this even ok? Would the state give them money of he got fired for such a thing. I am angry that I have to pay tax dollars for this.
  4. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Well, drug testing could benefit the community or the society, however, I am against forced drug testing for welfare. I care about free thinking and people should have their opinion on drug testing before they try it. If they say yes, it is ok, but if they say no, testing should be avoided.