An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drug treatment online vs in a live group setting.

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by Aaron, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member

Aaron here, I have a question. I'm on the road to recovery by first admitting I have a problem. But, I don't quite feel comfortable attending an AA meeting or something of the equivalent. Has anyone completed an online treatment course? Has anyone ever attended an in person treatment session? Has anyone done both? What are the pros and cons, what online courses would you suggest? Any suggestions are fully welcomed, thank you in advance.
  2. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It may or may not. It entirely depends on you. As opposed to physically going to a center, online group settings give you more freedom to relinquish your control and grab the bottle at the very first opportunity. However, if you're motivated enough and the people around you carefully supervise your movements, then I guess there would be no problems on your end. If you're worried about having to go through the "sometimes embarrassing AA routine," then you can ask around or look for alternative resources.
  3. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

Drug treatment online is better than no treatment at all. Once the person sees the need to make a difference and is not forced along the way, then the online treatment may be effective. It is true that the group setting may make a difference due to the fact that sharing experiences face to face may have deep meaning on the changes made in different individuals. It is however based on the personality type of the person and which setting they find most appropriate to them.
  4. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Member

Aaron, though I have never followed an online treatment program I can assure you that AA meetings are very interesting. The people you meet there have incredible stories that let you realize that you are not alone and that you will be able to succeed.

I would recommend being surrounded by other recovering addicts over being in front of your computer screen any time. What are the reasons as to why you are uncomfortable or hesitant to go to an AA meeting?
  5. This is very true. The fact that you are willing to take steps toward recovery speaks volumes. The online program may be just what you need to build your confidence up so you can attend a real live group to really get the fellowship required for true recovery.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Personally, I think you just have to do whatever it takes to beat the addiction, and if one method has some elements in it that prevents you from taking that path then you just have to look for another. If that doesn't work, then you might just have to bite the bullet and face the discomfort and anxiety of physically being present at meetings. Either one would be a much better option than the alternative of being in a state of crippling addiction. Apologies for not having perspective on either method as I've never tried any of them, but I wish you good luck on the road ahead.
  7. jubjubb

jubjubb Member

I've tried it before, it just didn't work for me. I'm not saying it couldn't, but I'm saying for a lot of people like myself I needed to see it in person from real people. You may be different, if it can help you I hope it does.
  8. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Active Contributor

I have attended a AA meeting in person. I haven't done one online. They both can be useful, but the energy you get in a group in person would seem to have a bigger impact.
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Online treatment can be helpful only if you are determined to overcome the addiction. In such a case, sheer willpower can see you through the difficult time.

The advantage of attending AA meetings is you get to meet others who are trying to stay clean or just starting out trying to beat their addictions. This would motivate you to work harder because you realize that others have been where you are now and they've managed to move on and leave their addictions behind.

But there's no one method which I'd say is the best. Choose what you feel will work best for you.
  10. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

recovery is a one step at a time process - you took a huge step by admitting you have a problem - and it is the time to take action - but if you are still uncomfortable going to a face -to face meeting - an online meeting is still away to get support and help for your addiction - after some time you will feel more comfortable communicating in a group setting but until then take whatever steps you must to begin your road to recovery.
  11. leahcim132

leahcim132 Member

Good on you for admitting you have a problem. That is usually the toughest part so congratulation.

Honestly, why not try both? You can try the online recovery first and if you don't like it, try the live AA meetings. Usually when you are surrounded by people with the same problem as you (in real life), it can help you tremendously.
  12. Ohyesuare

Ohyesuare Member

I have never heard of online treatment courses before. In my opinion the best way though is to do it in person. It might make you uncomfortable at first but eventually you will get used to it and see the benefit of interacting with other human beings that share your problems and your pain. Either way I hope that you get the help that you need and commend you for trying to find a way that is comfortable for you to do it.
  13. mikeqin

mikeqin Member

Online treatment services provide the opportunity for alcohol and drug addiction treatment by trained experts via the Internet, in a way that is convenient and private.
  14. globulon

globulon Member

Hi Aaron, congratulations on taking your first step to recovery!

An online treatment course is certainly a good start and a great initial way to learn things. However, there is something to be said about going to a treatment program live. Online, it is hard to see others as real people like you. However in a live personal setting you really get to feel other people's stories and develop real empathy. Really understanding others in the same situation may be a window in understanding yourself.
  15. juno

juno Community Champion

I have actually never heard of drug treatment online. I know that many therapists do counseling online via Skype, but it is still considered face to face. I can't imagine just chatting or working on a course online to be just as effective. I think an online course may be helpful to stay focused, but I think it is important to get some help in person as well. If a group is not your thing, then maybe just individual therapy would be appropriate.