An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drug Triggers, How Do You Fight That Problem?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Overcoming an addiction isn't easy. Since it's said that recovery is a life-long process the best thing to do especially right after you've stopped using some substance is do all you can to avoid slipping back into old habits.

To help such a person who recently stopped using drugs, here's a question:

What are some common drug relapse triggers? How would a former addict avoid being sucked right back?
  2. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think it's different for everyone., but in general I think it's just a sense of emptiness and the substances probably help alleviate some of it at first. Personally, the best way to combat this other than knowing some disciplinary thought exercises and a lot of willpower and also being self aware probably helps a lot as well. Also I think it helps not to take things too hard or serious since it's one of the easier ways to get yourself depressed and using again.
  3. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

When you have an addiction to drugs, it is hard to overcome it. The best strategy to overcome an addiction is to find other alternatives when you have the urge to do drugs. The things that trigger you to do drugs could be things such as anger or depression. You can find other alternatives such exercising or writing. Basically what I am saying is that when you are triggered to do drugs, try to substitute a hobby instead. It may be hard at first but with practice it will become easier.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Disconnect your self with anyone that does these things, for starters. If a friend is not going to be a supporter, then he or she is part of the problem. Plain and simple.
  5. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

First thing a former addict would want to do is knowing which situation makes him want to use the drug of his addiction. For instance, let's say a smoker have all kind of situation when he wants to smoke, like when he is happy or sad, when he did something good or bad. In this kind of situations is very hard, because he uses the drug in almost all situations, he just need to avoid them for a while, and never stay around other smokers because they will surely try to tempt him back into the addiction. I believe it's the same with other drugs, you just find out which these situations are, and then you avoid them for a while, after that you never stay around people who might try to tempt you into that again.
  6. KC Sunshine

KC Sunshine Member

People, places, and things will get you right back in it. For some addicts, this is the biggest obstacle. They can convince themselves of their need to quit and promise themselves the fulfillment of this need and their whole life just pushes them back into the using. The people they see and the things they talk about push them in that direction. The places they go and the people who are in those places push them in that direction. The things around the house, maybe pipes, lighters, the remnants of a blow out. If you want to get clean and stay clean, you need to work with others at it. You need eyes and ears that are not your own, an ability to stand up to the addictive thinking that is comfortable and wears like a gloves. This cannot be done alone, but it can be done. Find a meeting.
  7. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

That's easy. Just don't hagn around people that do it, and don't go to places that have it ready to be sold. That's a black and white question. If you know it's there, then don't go there.
  8. Charli

I don't think just because a friend decides not to support then he or she is automatically against you. Sometimes people just have to look out for themselves for one reason or another, and it shouldn't be their responsibility to keep you upright, and I think having this mentality will ultimately prove to be detrimental to recovery since it teaches people to put their emotional security onto others instead of onto themselves. I don't think you meant it as a blanket statement for all though, but I just thought I would clarify.
  9. GenevB

I remember back when I tried to quit smoking (managed it for 6 months) that a friend of mine was always giving me tries, he stated that if I couldn't say no to his offers for cigarettes then I would start smoking again sooner or later, I always said no, once I even put a cigarette in my mouth and used the lighter pretty close to it just to show him that I don't need tobacco anymore. He was pretty amazed and at some point he stopped. What I want to point is that you have to be the strong person, if not the friend, the life will give you headaches and when that happens, what are you going to do if you can't even manage saying no to a friend?
  10. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Good advise, thus far, about staying away from other users and places where this activity goes on. Another important aspect is to recall the turmoil and consequences of going back to your old ways. Ask yourself, if you this one time slip will be worth throwing away all the time and effort you put in to get where you are right now, clean and sober.
  11. Charli

I agree. Some friends might just be doing that type of thing to instigate out of boredom but some just want to be left to be themselves and I myself have been in many situations when my recovering friends were around me but I chose not to assume they were weak people in need of my condescension so I just acted naturally and did what I would usually do regardless of the temptation it might bring them. First off, it was because I trusted them enough to be smart and second I did not want them to think I saw them as weak.
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think there are only 2 drug triggers, your mind or other people. If you want to take drugs then you must know that it's bad for you and you should have the will and determination not to take it. So once you have that rigid and determined frame of mind, then you can easily say no to other people that might tempt you to take drugs.
  13. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I am not an expert on this matter but based on previous reading, here are some common drug relapse triggers:
    • Overconfidence
    • Self-pity
    • Unrealistic expectations
    • Nonacceptance of one's situation
    • Frustration
    • Neglect
    • Depression
    • Over-expectation
    • Abuse of other substances
    Although forms of treatment may vary depending on the individual or the situation, recovery is more likely attainable for those who are driven or have a sturdy support system.
  14. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Stay away from people who might influence you to back to drug usage/abuse. Don't go to places that will just tempt you. Keep yourself busy and maintain your focus on recovery.
    stariie likes this.
  15. GenevB

I believe some of them are getting scared when they see a close person quitting, because that means they can too and for some reason, this scares them like hell. They won't admit they can quit at any time just because they don't want to think that because it would be harder without the drug of their choice. When they see you evolving they are getting into defense.
  16. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I guess shutting himself off from the outside world for a brief period of time could turn out to be beneficial. Avoiding parties and social contacts until he feels strong enough to deal with his surroundings might also be a good idea. Isolation may be excessive to some but it is the only way to keep an addict at least temporary off relapsing.