An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drugs and ageing

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by tasha, Feb 2, 2016.

1. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

I think most users do not really think about the health and damage that drugs cause but it is true, drugs and alcohol can take years off of your life and you will die about ten years before your time if you are lucky enough to survive the drug usage.
    Ageing is a natural process that should not be fast forwarded and we do this to our bodies why? Drugs are not only the worst possible way to age yourself and your body but it is also the worst possible way to die. Headaches are endless and eventually the rupture in your brain can be felt as it is a sharp pain that instantly kills you even if you used for just a little time.
    So stop your ageing, protect your body and think about dying like a survivor rather than a victim. Grow old and find someone to love you because you will get that one person that will understand what you have been through and when you meet would it not be a shame for them to watch you cry and die in pain?
    gracer likes this.
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

This is such great advice! Why choose drugs? Life is so much better when you live it through clearer eyes and a sharper mind. I wish my husband could see that. He is slowly killing myself. I see it but either he refuses to see it or he just doesn't care. I am not sure which it is. He has my love and support but that isn't enough. What I have to offer him is more then any drug or alcohol could give him but he doesn't care. I would love to grow old together but sadly I don't see that happening. Either the drug/alcohol are going to be the death of him or the death of me from all the stress and the toll it is having on my health.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

A lot of people that take drugs though don't think about the future and just think about the here and now.

They don't care about getting old because they don't think they'll get that far anyway in life and that's the scary part.
  4. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well, yeah by the time drug users wake up and smell the coffee..it may be too late and they may have caused irreversible damage to themselves. That is why stopping as soon as possible is important to do. Why die prematurely when you can do something about it?
  5. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Drugs severely damage internal body organs. Because of the damages done by drugs, organs cannot function properly. During the old age, internal body organ becomes frail and cannot function properly. Doing drugs means inviting old age soon.
  6. Absulutely. Drugs severely damage internal body organs and makes you look older.
    I know people who suffered from this and yes, it is true.
  7. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I have to agree with this. I have a friend who is my age and has done far many more drugs than I have in her lifetime and she looks about 10 years older than I do. She has quite a few wrinkles and her hair looks very unhealthy. Not to mention that her memory and mental state are lacking.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That's so true! Don't waste your time and energy doing substance abuse. It would just ruin your life, and make you look much older. You have got your whole life ahead of you. Be productive as much as you can. Pursue your passions in life. Find the love of your life, and stick with him/her for a lifetime.
  9. tasha

it is a sad way to age and a very sad way to die because you do have pain and suffering before the end. Unfortunately drugs are a problem and giving it up can be tricky but it can be done by getting down to the root of the problem so that you can allow yourself to feel better.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Sad but true that they most likely do not care of the future and how they look or aged. We can observed that those who are addicted on various substances look really unhealthy and older compared to their age group which are the results of what they are doing to their bodies.
  11. gracer

gracer Community Champion

You are so right @tasha. I have an alcoholic uncle who looks way older than my dad who's older than him and he now has hearing problems at his age of around early 60s. He has been drinking alcohol for so many years now and I'm amazed at how he hasn't developed any liver disease from that. but when it comes to his overall appearance and physical strength, he has really grown old much faster than his older brother.
  12. pwarbi

Drugs and addiction does affect the way a person looks and how they feel, there's no doubt about that.

A lot of it is also down to the psychological factors aswell though, and when your addicted to a substance, a lot of the time your having to deal with stress, worry and anxiety at the same time and that also affects a person long term
  13. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Absolutely true. My husband smokes cigarettes and he looks much, much older than I am. I remember back when he isn't addicted to cigarettes, he doesn't look as old as he does now. Now, he has dark lips, coughs terribly and has the body of an older man. Yes, I love him still but what's he's done with himself is beyond me. I constantly remind him to stop smoking and drinking as well. But he still does because he just cannot stop now. It's sad but somehow, his ageing is his body's way of taking revenge on his abuse of it.
  14. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Yes, yes and yes. There definitely is a correlation in my opinion between drug use and ageing prematurely. One of the best examples I can think of is the before and after pictures of people who use meth. The differences between the pictures are frightening - people go from fresh faced young people to basically what looks like an old man or woman within the space of a few short years. It's certainly something that makes you think about what it's doing to your insides if it's having that profound of an impact on your outside appearance.
  15. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

I completely agree, drugs are such a sad way for a person to die. However, by the time most people wake up and realize it's killing them it's already too late most of the time.
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes all of this abuse to the body seriously ages a person. Caffeine, cigarettes, alcohol, and drugs. Not enough sleep or eating poorly. The body doesn't have to age as horribly as some do. Fast forward, that's funny. Yeah some people do actually fast forward their body into aging. What's great about that is you can rewind it. If you work at it. I guess whatever means more to you. The other one that ages a person that most actually are unaware of is the thinking process. Thinking the right way will actually slow the process.
  17. pwarbi

I'm not sure if the process can be rewound to be honest, as I think the damage you've done will stay with you, even if you do stop from now on.

With the aging due to drugs though, this is just another example of people knowing what's bad for them, knowing what's going to happen but simply not caring.
  18. tasha

it is a fact that if you stop smoking cigarettes your body begins to recover seven hours afterwards, it can be repaired and this is the same for alcohol and drugs too, you stop and get through all the detox, withdrawal and into recovery your body will have a natural reaction to repair itself and with stopping all these things it will be an easier fight for your body to do but your body is amazing and it can recover
  19. serenity

serenity Community Champion

That is so true, aside from the mental damage that it does to your body it also damages you physically, so it would be best to not even try drugs at all. Drugs won't give you any benefits, only trouble, problems, and death.
  20. tasha

yes there is no real benefit to any drug and the sooner you can recover the better as there is a difference once you quit and you will start to feel better months later but your body begins to recover the minute you stop putting the toxins into it.