An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drugs and ageing

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by tasha, Feb 2, 2016.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

The accelerated aging process from long term alcohol or drug use is usually externally evident as well. People who smoke, drink, or use drugs for extended periods of time often appear older than their peers who do not have a substance abuse problem. For example, my uncle who was an alcoholic and smoker for the majority of his life, while near the end of his life looked like he could be his father's brother. The harmful side effects of using drugs and alcohol not only appear externally, but also wreak havoc on the bodies of addicts internally as well. Everyone deserves to have a good quality life. Using drugs, alcohol, or cigarettes shortens the span of a user's life and reduces their quality of life. Choose life and quit!
  2. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

That's a sad thing to have to think about when a person recovers as well. They'll have to live with the damage they caused themselves in their health and outward appearance.
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Wow this is a really good way to deter people from using drugs. I'm sure drug abuse really does have terrible effects on your health. It's really important to take care of your body now. There's no point in abusing ourselves and paying for it later. This makes a lot of sense.
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Stress and anxiety can make a person age very quickly, and so do the chemicals found in drugs and alcohol. It really is a sad path to go down and is one of the reasons people go before their time. I wonder if those on drugs and alcohol really stop to look at themselves in the mirror.
  5. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

you don't think of these things at the time and when you are done with recovery you notice how much damage your body has taken on but with a healthy diet and exercise you can take years off of yourself. Don't give up and make sure that you take care of your body now
  6. roger1003

roger1003 Member

I agree with you. I hope there's a way we can help these people to not use drugs anymore but I also know it's a difficult process. Drugs really have a negative effect in our body. We have to live longer for our loved ones, so we should protect our bodies and live a long and healthy life.
  7. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

This is a really powerful post, thanks for sharing it. And it's true, drugs are just making your lifetime shorter and your quality of life poorest, it's a shame that a lot of people don't realize about that or just don't really care, life is so amazing and worth to living but for some people there isn't other way.
  8. Rosyrain

I think the most powerful tool is to see people's before and after drug addiction photos. With just a years worth of use, people can look like they have ages 10 or more years. Getting sober can help the aging process slow down and maybe even repair your body to some extent, but some of the premature aging can't be reversed.
  9. tasha

Your body recovers as soon as you stop using and damaged cells repair themselves but it depends on how far you have gone for this to happen, the good news is that you can add years to your life by stopping. it takes 7 years for a smoker to get back to full health so imagine how long it would take for drug or alcohol users but it can be done
  10. tasha

It is a fact that you do age and take years off of your life with both alcohol and drugs and smoking too but stopping can do wonders for your health and it is a start of a fresh new life both physically and mentally and in a few years you could catch up to the others of your age group with a healthy lifestyle too!
  11. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

This is true of course. The problem is that our body see the drugs as poison and it is. Alcohol as well. It damages general health and you have more chances to get seriously sick. Some vital organs like liver and pancreas will fail in the end. Our skin becomes rougher and our hair looses the shine and beauty. You can see people who look like they are in 60s when they are not even in 50s. We should really help ourselves and stay of drugs and alcohol.
  12. Rosyrain

I think that is the main reason I stayed away from drugs, I am kinda vain in my own little way and do not want to look any older than what I truly am. I guess that is good in a way. There is some level of ageing that can't be reversed even when you stop using.
  13. MsLucy

MsLucy Active Contributor

I am so blessed to not have my addiction written all over my face. To be totally truthful, It scares me know that can & probably will happen if I don't stop. Every time I see my mother I want to cry. She used to be so beautiful. To me she still is, but now she is losing teeth, & getting dark spots all over her skin among other things. My mother and I are just 19 years apart, & started about the same age she did. I hope I don't make it far enough into this disease to see my physical appearance diminish. Oh Lord, I don't want to look ran over & run down.
  14. Mara

Mara Community Champion

When I was young, I often hear my cousin say that he'll never grow old. I thought then that he meant that he's an immortal or a vampire. It was only years later that I understood what he meant. He was actually telling me that, "Addicts never grow old, because they die young."
  15. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

That's an excellent post and you covered something that just isn't discussed often enough. Drugs, alcohol and even cigarettes definitely speed up the aging process for their users. If someone wants to retain their youth for as long as possible, it really comes down to eating healthy foods, getting enough rest and regular exercise and staying away from substances.
  16. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

Yes, this is true. Most addicts appear to be a lot older than they actually are because of the way drug abuse has aged them.
  17. integrity101

integrity101 Active Contributor

The worst thing about addiction is that it is about satisfying the here and now craving with little regard for the future. Premature ageing and other health issues are never the primary considerations of an addict. I did so many packs of cigarettes and cheap liquor and messed up my teeth and gums. Fortunately, the body begins recovering once you stop messing it up and you'll definitely regain a good percentage of your former self in due time.
  18. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Many people who take drugs look older than their age because lack of food and sleep causes the cells in the body to deteriorate. Drugs pollute the mind as much as the body. The heart is often clouded by the high and you forget your reason for being and how beautiful it is to be part of this world.