An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drugs Cause Quitting Detrimental Drug Use...

Discussion in 'Opiate Withdrawal Treatment' started by Jimmy Loc, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Jimmy Loc

Jimmy Loc Member

You may find such research as well as a documentary on the matter of D.M.T. which is a drug referred to as The Spirit Molecule in the book and film D.M.T.: The Spirit Molecule. Touching on the spiritual implications of the the drug. In the line of research it was also mentioned that the drug D.M.T. could have benefits in medical treatment. This type of research on the drug and its effects was undertaken by Rick J. Strassman, ending in 1995. Ayahuasca contains the active D.M.T. compound but is not widely approved for use as an addiction treatment medication. This tea is a form of the drug with longer lasting effects than smoking it, ceremonially administered by indigenous tribes for religious purposes contains the active D.M.T. compound.

However, some types of treatment in dealing with harder drug addictions include gradually minimizing drug consumption, not only can this be done with psychedelics but other drugs as well.
    In a case from 2011, a Canadian doctor who treated patients with the medication was consequently threatened with prosecution and ordered to desist from using the herbal medicine, despite his good results. However, Ayahuasca is used as an addiction treatment medication in Peru in accordance with law.
  2. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

There sounds to be some relevance to this. My guess is the hallucinogenics help to inspire a sense of "being found" or "Finding your way" as which was depicted by ancient Native Americans. I believe there has to be some stock to that belief, but most people trying unorthodox measures unfortunately get "heretic" labeled or become seen as "toxic" to society.
  3. Waynefire

Waynefire Member

I have to say that I take some of the herbal medications on a regular basis. The medication is more for breathing problems like Nettles, which works out great. However, I have found that some of the other herbal medications are going to be something that I would never want to touch because the side effects. So in that regard, I would have to agree with Shimus about the medications applying unorthodox methods, which modern medicine does not like.
  4. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Yeah, I've been reading up on negative side effects. They oftentimes outweigh the benefit listings but I still would give them a shot if I was to the stage where modern medicine couldn't help, so it couldn't hurt.