An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drugs cost my brother his life.

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by jeremy2, Oct 30, 2014.

1. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

When we were kids,my younger brother,Henry and i attended the same school together up until 7th grade. We weren't the best of friends due to sibling rivalry but we coped and stood up for each other when confronted by bullies from other classes. Looking back, my brother developed a rebellious attitude when we were quite young. I remember vividly this particular incident when my brother was harshly reprimanded in front of my mum by the school head for abusing his class teacher and he was barely out of 4th grade! By the time he was in 7th grade, my brother had started substance abuse due to the bad company he kept and neither i nor my mum could convince him to quit despite the severe beatings he got from my mum.
    Things got worse when he joined high school and i remember this one time on a sunny afternoon when i busted him inhaling a white powdery substance in the bathroom, and the most shocking thing is that he didn't even look surprised on seeing me and he casually wiped his nose clean. He became a truant and before long, he graduated into theft to sustain his devious habits because my mum had long refused to give him pocket money. The numerous sessions that he went for drug rehabilitation didn't help the situation and then the inevitable happened. Henry and his daredevil gang of friends had gone to rob a shop but they were accosted by cops. When ordered to surrender, one of his friend drew a gun a shots were fired. After the dust had settled, Henry and his three friends lay dead, their bullet riddled bodies drawing a crowd of onlookers along the busy street.
  2. jackslivi

jackslivi Active Contributor

Wow. This is such a sad story that it brought tears to my eyes. I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing this story because I am sure it was hard to. This story will become an inspiring one though. As much as you could not help your brother, I bet this will find someone else who needs to hear an outsiders story. I hope you do not blame yourself and think what if because there was sadly nothing you could do. Drugs make us do crazy things and I'm sure your brother is regretting but also being thankful that you and your mom were there for him. I wish you well.
  3. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

Very sad indeed, may his soul rest in peace. Some persons don't realize the danger associated with their actions until it is too late, my father for example is always doing whatever it takes to get money to buy that white powdery substance. My grandfather committed suicide and wrote a note, stating that it was because of my father's addiction he did it, he would've soon passed anyway with lung cancer which ate him down. My father sold everything he owned and even when he died, he still felt no remorse. He is still stealing from others and oftentimes people threaten his life. God forbid but his end is not looking good either.
  4. sillylab

sillylab Member

That is truly awful and my best wishes go out to you and your family :( It's pretty bad what drugs can do to someone, I recently had a few items stolen by a family member to support a drug habit and it's just awful.
  5. Juan

Juan Active Contributor

Thanks for opening up and sharing your story. Sadly, it seems that everyone has a death in the family related to substance abuse. I had a cousin who was killed by another junkie when he was about 21 years old. I recall him being always joyful until his mother died, then I guess he tried to cope by using drugs. The rest is the usual story, same sad story we've all come to know when someone in our family becomes a drug addict. My condolences to you and your family.
  6. Askani

Askani Active Contributor

I am so so sorry for your loss. Losing anyone who is family is hard, but watching them being lost to drugs over a long period of time is even worse. You lose a bit of the person you love more and more everyday. You can really watch it happen before your eyes and often cannot do anything to save them or make them stop. I hope you have worked through this and understand your brother was his own person and that you did everything in your power to help him stop. Prayers for you my friend.
  7. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear about your family's loss. I hope that more people can be educated well enough about substance abuse and its effects, so that no such thing as this can happen ever again. He was young and had a life ahead of him, but this thing happened. It's disheartening.
  8. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

I'm so sorry for your loss, jeremy2. Thank you for sharing this.
  9. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Live by the guns and drugs, die by the guns and drugs - the logic is that simple. A particular high school friend of mines died being involved with drugs and guns, murdered by his drug-selling partners, cops found him with his hands still in his pockets with a shotgun hole in his head - he was setup maliciously by his drug partners and was waiting for buyers on a street, when the murderer sneaked behind him and ended his life over competition reasons. I know a few more people who died in similar guns and drugs situations, but I won't share here.

Sucks that your [jeremy2] brother, died robbing a bank, but truly, he invoked that death himself; people reap what he/she sow, whether he/she believes it or not.
  10. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

I'm sorry for your loss jeremy2. I hope that you and your Mom are handling your brother's passing okay. Also the families of the other young men that died. You stay strong for yourself and your Mom.