An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drugs detox

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Peninha, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

Anyone that has passed or helped someone do a physical detox from drugs know how difficult the process is, so first of all it's necessary that the addicted person really wants to quit. What's next?
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hey Peninha,
    Yes - definitely they need to want to quit (you can't hold anyone hostage for a detox!). As far as how difficult the process is, that really depends on the drug and method of detox. Are you talking about detoxing in a rehab or at home? And from what?
  3. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

The closest case I had was my brother's and it was smoking heroine. He went to a detox process twice that I can recall, one of those times it was a week with my mother, a very traumatic week for her. He really wanted, he even took that pill that can kill him if he takes drugs, but he manage to skip the pill as well after some months.
  4. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Oh wow. Your mother must be a STRONG woman! :)

One of the (many, many) difficult things about heroin addiction is just how physically addictive it is. I think I must have tried to quit from home 30+ times. I always wanted to quit - never managed to do it that way. I either had to be in a treatment facility for medical detox or locked in a jail cell. It depends on the amount being used, but not only was the physical withdrawal excruciating, the psychological torture going on in my head was like nothing I can even begin to describe. I wouldn't recommend a cold turkey heroin detox to anyone if they can avoid it. Although the risk of medical complications is lower than alcohol withdrawal, I consider it a traumatic enough experience for many people to be at risk for attempting/committing suicide.

Does your brother need help again with heroin, or are you asking about yourself/someone else?
  5. shilpa123

shilpa123 Member

Quitting process is really a great struggle and one needs to understand how traumatizing it can be, if even one thing goes wrong about it. I have come across this friend who says she was almost going to commit suicide after being withdrawn from drugs. I guess this is what everybody feels and one needs to understand what can be done to keep them motivated and safe all the time.
  6. edthebig

edthebig Member

Agree with you definitely. If you or your friends wants to quit, that is one thing out of the way and the first is the most difficult and important step. Now as she says, what is next, really depends.
    Jen S. likes this.
  7. From personal experience with friends and detox the one thing I can echo, as others have already said it, is that the person has to want to do this. My primary experience is with outpatient detox programs and they are rough, but to be honest as I type that I would have to assume any detox program will not be a walk in the park. The people I know who went through detox were generally also dealing with other issues such as depression, severe anxiety or were bipolar so in my opinion their detox programs had many different layers to it. I have been told that the physical reaction to detox is one of the most painful experiences a person can go through and after taking care of my boyfriend and a friend--on separate occasions--I can vouch for this. I think what some people don't take into account is how severe the mental pain of detox can be.