An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drugs

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by mightymap2, Nov 18, 2014.

1. mightymap2

mightymap2 Member

There are so many ways for doctors to properly diagnose. This will become even easier in the future when medical technology advances and we rely more heavily on computers and machines.
  2. Daniel Lucky

Daniel Lucky Active Contributor

As humans we struggle in many different ways. Substance abuse is just one of many. I do believe that in the future technology will allow for new ways to conquer this battle. I do strongly believe that in the end it is always ultimately up to the person who is dealing with the addiction. I have learned in my struggle that, when I was ready that was when I truly gave "it" up. Free will, will always be our choice.
  3. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

Certain struggles to get out is young people.com understand. I would never give up if its a addiction. You have to hope you are not cursed if that is what is happening.
  4. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

Technology has advanceed and is advancing medical wise, but sometimes you have to go to certain hospitals to find this new technology, because it comes at a high price , so only certain hospitals can afford the latest technology.
  5. LostmySis

LostmySis Senior Contributor

I recently saw a documentary on about the University of Penn where they discovered that people who are addicts, and those who committed suicide, have an abundance of brain cells (neurons) in the frontal lobe. This means the brain is formed to predispose a person to addiction, depression and suicide. Although this can now only be determined by an autopsy, they are hoping to be able to test early in life. If one can be diagnosed in childhood that they are in danger of becoming an addict or suicidal, early treatment may be able to prevent a lifetime of horrors.

This would be awesome!
  6. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

Technology is always astounding. Now we have laser diagnosis. Perhaps, the revolution would lead to the examination of DNA to figure out the overall condition of our body.
  7. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

This would most certainly be a breakthrough in the fight against substance abuse. I can't even comprehend the magnitude of the positive effect this would have on mankind if we were able to diagnose at an early stage, persons who are susceptible to addictive or suicidal tendencies.
  8. Jil Diamante

Jil Diamante Member

Drugs issue should always be taken seriously. Drug addiction is a disease that is characterized by a destructive pattern of drug abuse that leads to significant problems involving tolerance to or withdrawal from the substance, as well as other problems use of the substance can cause for the sufferer.
  9. Jil Diamante

Jil Diamante Member

I'd also like to add that while the specific physical and psychological effects of drug abuse and addiction tend to vary based on the particular substance involved, the general effects of abuse or addiction to any drug can be devastating.
  10. ProShell

ProShell Member

Actually, it's really hard for doctors to diagnose mental disorders.

No matter what they are depending on observations and questionnaires, not a real lab test.

We're approaching the point where we are getting scans to confirm certain things, but a mental condition is very hard to test for.
  11. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I think that the right kind of diagnosis goes a long way, but quite often there are wrong diagnoses and inadequate treatments. So, as a rule of thumb, I always tell people to go and get a consensus of opinion from different doctors before they embark on some form of therapy that doesn't feel right to them.
    And also, often there is no clear diagnosis, as we are body, mind and soul. Therefore, in my opinion, a holistic approach is necessary to target all the different levels that need healing.
  12. Jimmy Loc

Jimmy Loc Member

A diagnosis can often be wrong on one who has predetermined their condition, mental conditions can be or become a state of mind. Subconsciously reaffirmed and made a reality through constant supposition. As with N.L.P., altering predetermined thoughts in the mind through suggestion and other techniques. The mind is this way becomes capable of recovery with faith and strong belief.

As for drugs they can alter the realm of perception for the mind as well the biochemistry of the body causing feelings, and can be of negative effect to some mental conditions.