An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drunk Drivers

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by 6up, Aug 13, 2015.

1. 6up

6up Community Champion

Have you ever driven you car while you are drunk? What made you to drink?
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I've never drank and drove, not even one as the risk you take just isn't worth it. Not only can you lose your license and get a criminal conviction, there's also the safety aspect of it and your not only endangering your own life, but also the life of others.
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I have never drank and drove and I never intend to. I could never live with myself if I ever harmed or hurt anybody because of what I did. I am usually the DD when we go out. In my younger years I have been in a vehicle with people who had too much to drink and looking back now I am glad that I made it home alive on those nights. It is not something I would do now.
  4. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I am happy to see public sentiment is now firmly against drunk driving.
    I can remember a time when this wasn't the case.
  5. shenika

shenika Member

i have never driven a car whiles under the influence of alcohol, that is extreme dangerous and that has been prove time and time again mainly by teenagers and young adults, I honestly believe young people need to take their life and the life of others more seriously.
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

While I'm certainly not proud to admit it, I have to be totally honest: Yes, in the past I did drink and drive. I was young and stupid, and probably felt somewhat indestructible. I didn't do it often, but I did it. Thank God nothing ever happened to me or anybody else.

I think one of the best things about not drinking anymore--it'll be 7 years next month--is the fact that the whole "Am I sober enough to drive?" question is no longer an issue. Ever. And that's a great feeling.
  7. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

I can thankfully say I've never driven while under the influence. The risks for yourself and others is far too great. It's pretty much like me flipping a coin and saying, "Heads you live, tails you die." (No Batman reference intended)
  8. sksmith094

sksmith094 Member

I have never driven drunk and I never will. It's simply not worth the risks, not just for yourself but for other people on the road. You never know what could happen out there, even if you're in a wreck that's clearly the other person's fault, if you're drunk you will be at fault, probably arrested, etc. I have had friends get DUI's that completely ruin their chances at jobs they wanted to get in the future.
  9. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I don't have a car, and even if I had one, I certainly won't drink and drive. That is dangerous! Fortunately, I have no inclination to take alcohol, since I don't even like how it tastes.
  10. Ttirb

Ttirb Active Contributor

I don't drive nor drink. Ive never got my drivers license mainly because I'm scared of driving. I once went to a party with my cousin and her friend and they got really drunk and I didn't feel safe with either of them driving home, we were about 45 minutes away from home too. I was not drinking so I ended up driving which was really scary to me because I had only practiced driving a handful of times beforehand. We made it home but I made it clear to them that I should not have been driving without a license and I was not going to be their designated driver just because I don't drink. I felt as if I had done the right thing at the time though, because if either one of them had drove we could've all been seriously injured or killed.
  11. harold

harold Community Champion

I have never driven while I am drunk. The number of people who drink and drive is really alarming. Many of them argue that alcohol give them inspiration while they are driving, while others are addicted to alcohol to the extent that they constantly find themselves behind the steering wheel drunk. It is really an unfortunate situation. I hope this practice can change. I have sat in cars with people who get drunk and drive. In all these cases, only God has been able to rescue us. Despite strict restrictions by the government, people still manage to get drunk and drive. Some of them get away with it, while others are caught by the law. I have never done that, and know that I will never do such a thing. This altitude is completely wrong.
  12. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Yes, I have drank and drove many many years ago. Why did I do it? Because of utter stupidity! This is something that I will never ever do again and which I am totally against. Drinking and driving is incredibly stupid and incredibly dangerous and many people have already lost their lives because of it. The problem is that when you're drunk you can't think straight and it lowers your inhibitions. You end up thinking "I don't care, I'll be fine" even though you can't even walk straight!
    deanokat likes this.