An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drunk Personality, Sober Personality

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Nick Anthony, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Nick Anthony

Nick Anthony Active Contributor

How does your personality while drunk differ from your personality while sober?

For example, I tend to get really "thirsty" for girls while I am drunk. This differs very much so from my sober personality, because I'm not needy at all while I'm sober.
  2. cheeto

cheeto Member

I find when I'm drunk I just become more numb to everything. Even if I'm drunk around friends I'll listen to their stories but I'm just waiting for them to be done because I don't really care. But when I'm sober I'm always the guy who listens to people because I genuinely care. Drunk me just doesn't want to be bothered.
  3. Se7en

Se7en Active Contributor

I'm more relaxed when drunk, don't really think before I talk, when I hear music it makes me wanna dance :D
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Alcohol for me makes me feel more confident about myself. I'm a pretty introverted person and i find that after a couple of drink's I can relax a bit more more and start to come out of my shell a bit. If i'm going to a party or going out at night with people that I dont know that well then I often like to have a drink before I go out just so i can fit in a bit better.

I think this probably applies to a lot of people. One of the main problems with that though is that people you dontknow that well, will get to know the the drunk or tipsy you, and not the real you which can bring up other issues later on in a relationship or friendship.
  5. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

When I drink a little too much, I mostly laugh at everything, and I'm not that much different of a person. I'm just me when I'm sober, so I'm a decent human being that's friendly to everyone. However, I've seen friends with drinking problems that become really nasty when they get drunk, so we always try to do something that doesn't involve drinking when we hang out, for obvious reasons.
  6. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

My drunk and sober personality are alike but yet they are different. The reason they are alike is because I can be blunt when drunk or sober. I doesn't matter if I am angry, being silly, or being sympathetic to others, I will always tell the truth. They are also different in so many ways. I will first start off by talking about how my personality is when I am sober. I have some issues with anger, so when I am sober, I can come off as mean, standoffish, or nonchalant. I can also be really antisocial at times as well. Do not get me wrong I can be nice too, but this is how I come off sober. On the other hand, when I am drunk, I am more friendly and I feel very sexual. This brings out more of my fun side because I just want to fun and no drama. Basically my sober personality is antisocial and my drunk personality is more alive.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I'm normally a quiet person that keeps to himself. But when I drink, I am the total opposite. I become a total ass that just can't shut up. That usually leads me to trouble. Someone will say something I don't like and here we go again, fist fight.
  8. Carmilla

Carmilla Active Contributor

I'm kind of anxious usually, but when I'm drunk I'm super confident, which can be to the point of doing stupid things. Most people would say I'm funner drunk. I'm also kind of "thirsty", like the OP. :oops:
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I think that since alcohol represses inhibitions, someone personality doesn't change. The bits of you which are suppressed get to be seen more and that would make it appear like you've changed and became an entirely different person which in reality isn't entirely true. That said, the last time I was drunk, I didn't notice any change in my personality.
  10. henry

henry Community Champion

I usually talk waaaaay too much when I'm drunk. I become very extrovert. I get way more girls while I'm drunk because I get a lot more confident. The bad part of it is I woke up way too many times with women I usually would't look at twice. But, hey, it was fun.
  11. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

When I am drunk, I usually don't know if I am sober or not and usually feel tired as well and get to my bed so I can sleep good and not on the floor. When I am sober I am better and can think well, and also can make the right choices and also do what is good for me as well. I reckon, that alcohol is good in moderation and also need to be aware of surroundings as well and be with peole who are known to you as well.
  12. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I tend to be a lot more loose when tipsy although I'm usually still conscious enough of my actions to go through the rest of the day or night safely. I sometimes have gotten way too drunk to the point where I'm just sitting quietly trying to concentrate the dizziness away and most of the time when I reach that point I regret it almost immediately.
  13. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

And of course depending how drunk you actually are, also depends on how much you actually remember the morning after.

If your relying on others to tell you how you behaved then you've obviously over done it.

What do your friends and family think of the difference between the sober and drunken you? Which do they prefer?
  14. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

When I'm drunk, I feel very happy as though I were on cloud nine. I am more confident too and talkative. Contrary to when I'm sober, I am a bit quiet and more like an antisocial.
  15. Merricat

Merricat Member

Like a lot of people here when I’m sober I’m very quiet and introverted. I’m stuck inside my own head a lot, with a lot of anxiety and doubts about myself which leads me to hang back and not talk very much. I’ve always been the shy girl without a lot of friends and unfortunately the only way I ever learned to get out of my shell is with alcohol. I’ve had people tell me that they think I’m so chatty, witty and fun but then I realized that they’ve only been around me when I’ve been drunk. But that side of my drunk personality can turn on a dime when I get upset or triggered, and suddenly I’ll become despondently sad and self destructive. I need to learn how to bring out the good side of my drunk personality without actually drinking.
  16. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

In my country, we call that "beer goggles". In other words, the beer (or any alcohol) makes the women (or men) suddenly much more attractive!

Personally, I just get a bit louder and more daring. I'm not one for arguing or starting fights but I will take up any dare once I've got a few beers down me.
  17. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

When I was still drinking, I used to get rather argumentative when I was drunk. I was constantly looking for mental challenges, trying to pick fights with people whom I regarded as "bourgeois". I couldn't stand people who felt comfortable in their boring middle class existence and content with all their material belongings, and, what I then regarded as, their general "limited" attitude towards life.
    Whereas when I was sober, I could understand that it takes all kinds of people to make a difference, and the world would be a tedious place if we were all the same. Admittedly, that realization came gradually and much later in life.
  18. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

When I drink I'm a lot more social & able to tolerate a lot of things from people. When sober I can't sit around BSing with people I don't care for or with people I would normally ignore. I tended to drink in social situations to make me more patient toward stupidity & able to laugh at/with more than get angry at/with. Other than that there was really no difference between sober me & drunk me.
  19. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

When I'm sober, I'm pretty shy. I have my inner circle of friends that I'm close to, but I often feel awkward around new people. My drunk personality though is completely different. I'm everyone's best friend when I've been drinking, and you would think I was the most confident and outgoing person you'd ever met. In a way I wish I could be more like this as my sober self -- I feel like sometimes I seem more "fun" when I've been drinking.
  20. slattery2u

slattery2u Member

When a person is drunk they can be unpredictable and this can be dangerous, while when you are sober you know what type of person you are and are more rational.