An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Dry Heaving?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by OhioTom76, Nov 1, 2014.

1. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I started getting this a few years ago after long binge sessions of drinking, where I had drank a lot the night before and woke up in the morning with nowhere to go or no plans for the day (such as a saturday morning) so I would start drinking all over again as soon as I got up. By noon I would more or less be ready to crash again and almost to the point where I couldn't really take another sip but kept doing it anyway. Anyhow, this is usually around the time I would start dry heaving as if my body was trying to throw up some of the alcohol I had just consumed. Anyone else get this?
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

3. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

This seems like a very common symptom. I have seen many friends have bouts with continuous dry heaving. It seems the body is just trying to get rid of the poison, every single bit of it.
  4. januz101

januz101 Member

Well too much of something is really not good and that is your body's own way of trying to get rid of the toxic in your system. Excessive drinking often leads to this and when I experienced Dry Heaving myself I was pretty sure I made a promise to never drink again but I guess people forget when it's convenient for them.
  5. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

It is definitely a sign of your body being in distress from way too much alcohol. Going to such extremes is very hard on the body and sets everything out of whack, which affects your stomach among other things.
  6. megankl

megankl Active Contributor

I agree that this sounds like a very common symptom. Just monitor it and the other symptoms you are getting if any. If you feel concerned don't hesitate to call your local hospital. That is what they are there for is to help you!
  7. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I have actually never heard of this, when I used to take alot alcohol, it would reach a point where I would just puke it out, but I have never heard of dry heaving, this is the first, but it is good to know.
  8. mark973

mark973 Member

Its pretty common but it should go away after a few days. Maybe a week at most. Your body is just reacting to the alcohol.
  9. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

I have drank all my life. I have thrown up after drinking many times when I was younger. I am now 40 and I almost never throw up. My view is that dry heaving is either from a person that has thrown up to excess, and can't stop (usually from being a novice at drinking), or someone who abstained from drinking and the body is freaking out.
  10. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

I feel like it's your body trying to tell you to get the alcohol out. Dry heaving is indeed what you do when you need to vomit, so I can see why this is happening. If it's honestly becoming a problem, you should definitely cut the alcohol. It seems to do you more harm than good.
  11. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Dry heaving is telling you that you have way overreached your limit. Your body is trying to get rid of the poison you put into it. At the same time, alcohol dehydrates your body, so it would be a very good idea to drink plenty of water, even if that means that you will be vomiting. Vomiting, even though it's unpleasant, quickly gets rid of potentially life threatening toxins. Keep yourself hydrated at all times.
    If you must drink alcohol, then drink plenty of water in between. I have recommended this to many alcoholics who used to frequent the bar where I worked. The water dilutes the alcohol and you go to the toilet a lot more often, as your kidneys are working harder. At the same time, you can only drink a certain amount of alcohol, as the water makes you feel full.
  12. TXgirlNCworld

TXgirlNCworld Member

Your body is trying to tell you something, your body is trying get rid of all that alcohol that is built up in your body. When your body starts doing abnormal things after a night of drinking, you need to listen to it. I have seen people ignore the signs for years and in the long run hurt themselves. You know your patterns, you know when you drink and what happens, you should listen to your body, work with it and try to make a change.
  13. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

You have to realize that what you are doing to your body is not good. It is a clear sign that you are abusing your body and you need to stop before it completely gives in. The sooner you get help, the sooner you can begin healing. Listen to your body, pay attention to the signs.
  14. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

The body has it's own mechanisms of dispelling toxic waste from the body so i guess that was just your body responding to the excess alcohol in your system.Though i have never experienced such an occurrence, it's a clear indication that you went overboard with your drinking and it's time you quit drinking.
  15. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

Indeed, it is just your body trying to get rid of the excess toxins that are putting you at a chemical imbalance. If you are going to drink - always remember to hydrate before during and after. Keeping hydrated helps keep your body in check and can help prevent hangover and withdrawal symptoms.
  16. 003

003 Community Champion

I don't drink that heavily that frequently and I have never actually binge on alcohol. Nevertheless, I have a pretty strong tolerance to alcohol. So I rarely feel the bad effects of it despite that it's really appealing to me and that when I start drink, I drink a fat amount. Never it has gone to the point of a day off from work because of a whole-day-to-the-next kind of hangover and vomiting. But dry heaving is really reasonable if one is used to be vomiting from alcohol, because that one is psychologically used to vomiting after a heavy drinking session, a kind of conditioning. So even when there's no alcohol, the body still responds the same way.
  17. orangesunset

orangesunset Active Contributor

Possibly might be alcohol poisoning. It usually takes 1 hour for your body to breakdown 1 ounce of booze. So if you drank a 20 ounces the night before, after you sleep you would still have 10 ounces inside you the next day. Your body is tring to get rid off the alcohol inside your bloodsteam.

Try and cut down on your drinking or better yet abstaine. Possibly it might be a good idea to talk to a doctor about this. Maybe you might have liver damage or something, the doctor can run tests.

Regardless what you do, try and cut down or stop.
  18. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

The last time I got so drunk I could barely remember where I was was around 2 years ago. I had some difficulty breathing smoothly a few hours after I got up from the hangover. It dissipated after I ate breakfast and drank lots of water. I was able to recover that fast because I'm only a social drinker. In your case, it happened because your body is so used to alcohol that the lack of it makes you crave. You need to cut back on your alcohol intake and drink herbs that tend to kill the urge to drink.