An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Dual Diagnosis Treatment

Discussion in 'Dual-Diagnosis Treatment' started by GettingBetter, Nov 13, 2015.

1. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

I’ve had a good friend rejected from rehabs because of a dual diagnosis, alcoholism and depression. It seems a lot of places feel they can’t treat both at once, and yet they are co-occuring conditions more often than not?

Has anyone found successful treatment for dual diagnosis alcoholics and depressives? The options seems scarce to me and I am not sure how to help?
  2. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

Ive been to rehab many times and am dual-diagnosed, Addiction and Bi-Polar. They treat both illnesses at the same time. No problems there. Also ive went to outpatient treatment for dual-diagnosis. Not sure why you cant find the help you need. Good luck in finding the help you need.
  3. movingforward1

movingforward1 Active Contributor

I've found that when I was in psychiatric treatment for dual diagnosis (addiction and bipolar I disorder), the doctors were really adamant that most of my problems came because of my addictions. I did not appreciate having my mental illness glossed over. I understand that my alcoholism and addiction were a detriment to my mood cycles, but I really felt belittled. I have had a few doctors and programs tell me, like the OP stated, that they would not accept me for mental health treatment because of my addiction struggles.
  4. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

I too have been turned away from outpatient treatment facilities because I'm a drug addict. I was devastated. I needed to see a psychiatrist for my meds and i had to see a therapist before i could see the doctor. Finally i found a place who would treat me. It was a God send. So we can find help if we stay willing and dont give up. I am currently clean and continue to see my Psychiatrist.
  5. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Alcoholism is a conscious condition which prompts one to go to a rehab to seek treatment and counselling. On the other hand, depression is an involuntary occurrence and goes hand in hand with alcoholism which is also a depressant. Most alcoholics seeking treatment are depressed. The condition is not obvious and wouldn't warrant a caveat against admission in a professional rehab facility.