An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Dying and Living Again

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by gracer, Mar 28, 2016.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Hi guys! Happy Easter to each and everyone, Christians and non-Christians alike! :)

Every time our family commemorates Easter, I always have a feeling of renewal and hope. I can relate Easter to our lives in general. Many times in our lives we feel like we have died emotionally, spiritually, and even economically. These are the moments when we feel like everything is not going right, that everything we have worked so hard for have been shattered to pieces. When these moments come, our whole being also crumbles with the feeling of hopelessness and sorrow. The feeling is so painful that we become numb because of it.

But when the time comes that we are able to comfort ourselves and finally stand up from the deep fall we have been into, a feeling of renewal and living again begins to set off. When we learn to overcome our pains and heal our wounds, the darkness and feeling of sadness slowly lifts and we begin to see the light of hope again.

Addiction is a painful and shattering path that breaks anyone who comes into it but hope is a strong tool that helps a person lift him/herself from that thorny path leading to a renewed and cleaner path. One dies in addiction but lives again in reformation. I wish you all a beautiful new life ahead!
    KaseyHopeMartin and deanokat like this.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

"Darkness is our context, and Easter's context: without it, you couldn't see the light." --Anne Lamott
    kgord, gracer and KaseyHopeMartin like this.
  3. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

We don't have a tradition of Easter thus I don't know much about this festival. However, this is spring time and in our culture, Spring is associated with hope and renewal. There is a popular saying in out culture "May you live 100 Springs"
    gracer and KaseyHopeMartin like this.
  4. @gracer I really want to thank you for this post. This week, this time, actually at this very moment, I really, really, really, really needed to read something like this. My situation is not addiction, but everything else applies. I feel like I am in the process of dying spiritually due to my circumstance, and it's been pretty awful as I am trying to swim and stay afloat of all the feelings my situation has been crashing down on me.

But you're right. In absolute totality you are right. When the time comes, this situation will be over, and the waters will calm and the sun will come out. And I will be able to catch my breath and swim to shore and stop drowning. And I will be able to move forward.

I had almost forgotten about what happens after the storm. So thank you, from the bottom of my heart.
    deanokat and gracer like this.
  5. serenity

serenity Community Champion

True, there is always hope even after you have been down and out and have been struggling with problems. When you have already hit rock bottom, then there is nowhere else to go but up.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    gracer likes this.
  6. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I'm glad that I have somehow lifted you up from whatever you are going through right now. I have also been through rough times in my life and I can understand how it feels to be crushed and lowly. Whatever you're going through right now, I wish you enlightenment and strength to be able to face it with confidence. Keep holding on to even the slightest hint of hope within your reach and soon you'll be able to get through the storm no matter how strong it is. :)
  7. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Easter is a neat holiday because it falls in the Spring, and is a time of rebirth. I was kind of bummed this Easter because I didn't get to spend it with my friends or family. I could have had some company if I wanted to though. Hopefully next Easter will be more of a celebration for me.
    gracer likes this.
  8. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Loved what you said here - "One dies in addiction but lives again in reformation."

It really was like getting to be reborn and having a fresh shot at life when I committed to sobriety. I hope everyone here who celebrates Easter had a good time celebrating with loved ones and hopefully remembering what's important in life (and staying sober of course!) <3
  9. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

The idea of dying and living again can definitely be related to drug use. As a matter of fact, that's what I thought this thread would be about as opposed to Easter. I hope people can draw inspiration or at least some knowledge from the events that happened on that date and relate it to their addiction issues. Perhaps they will learn something and become better people. I'm not personally religious but I do see the positive effects things like this can have on people. Unfortunately Easter here is in Autumn haha.
  10. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Thank you @gracer. That is such a wonderful post. It is indeed like being born again when we are given a new chance at life. Yes, some of us may have made some mistakes in the past (and we continue to do so), but what matters is that we learn from them and that we aim to improve ourselves and our lives.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016