An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

E-cig liquid for "Penguin"

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Sparkster, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I've heard a reference to this once lately and read about it somewhere yesterday. It seems that, in addition to all the controversy that e-cigarettes already cause, it seems that youngsters are now buying e-cigarette liquid and mixing it with soft drinks and calling it "penguin". They then consume the soft drinks in order to get high and this high is said to be becoming more popular than marijuana and heroin in some places and is supposed to have a similar high. I had no idea that such a high could be gained from nicotine!
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While I must admit I've never heard of this before now, I think the manufacturers of the e-cigs can't really be held responsible for these types of actions and its more a reflection of society that people feel the need to try and get high, as cheaply as possible and will find new ways of how to do so.
  3. Sparkster

You're absolutely right. Even if smoking and all illegal recreational substances were eliminated, it still wouldn't solve the problem. As you stated, people will always find a cheap way of getting high no matter what regardless of whether it's legal or not and that is indeed a reflection of society. Still, with all the already existing controversy over e-cigarettes, it's not looking too good for the manufacturers of these products.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Banning a substance as no effect, I think that was proved during the prohibition era and all that did was drive the substance, in that case alcohol underground.

While there is controversy surrounding e-cigs, I think they have become that popular already that they're here to stay, so instead of banning them, more needs to be done to make them safer instead.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is my first time to read something about this Penguin or this thing that they can do with the e-cigarette. That sounds dangerous since they are drinking the substance and softdrinks are high with sugar. They did not know what exactly the result of that mixture and more of the effects to their bodies.
  6. sefirozu

sefirozu Member

Nicotine is a particularly poisonous substance, so I'm afraid that if this 'penguin' thing is true we are going to see overdoses in the near future. I wouldn't know if you can get high from nicotine. I smoked for 15 years and in those cases where I smoked too much in a short period of time were nowhere near pleasant. Also there was a kind of nicotine 'hangover' which included very painful headaches.
  7. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

Yikes that is crazy. Sounds really dangerous, I know that stuff is NOT meant to be ingested. @serifozu You really didn't know Nicotine could get you high? When I first started smoking and then a few times when I RE-started smoking after failing to quit I got incredibly high off cigarettes. Only from the first one in a long time though and then it was like I already had a tolerance to it after 1 cigarette. Scary how addictive they are!
  8. Sparkster

As GettingBetter mentioned above, many people do experience a short-lived high, or "head rush", after smoking a cigarette, especially when they have only just started smoking. It just kind of makes you go a little bit dizzy. Nothing majorly exciting but it's a hit to the brain within a few seconds. I wouldn't have thought that nicotine would make a pleasant high though and you are right, nicotine is more poisonous to humans than cyanide!
  9. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

That is exactly the effect you get, a sort of dizziness, but that is the nicotine high the reason most people aren't always getting this after every puff from a cigarette is because it's only the first one in the morning that will do this. All the other cigarettes will just stop the nicotine level to drop too much in your body.