An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

E-Cig vs. Conventional Cigarettes

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by 350greasemonkey, Feb 15, 2015.

1. I was wanting some information and opinions on the differences between electronic cigarettes and plain tobacco cigarettes. I've heard people say that electronic cigarettes are less harmful because they're not actually the smoke from burning, but I've also heard cigarettes are regulated heavily with standards that electronic cigarettes may not have. I'm not 100% sure what to believe as far as the differences between the two and was looking for some insight.
  2. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

E cigs might not be regulated, but they aren't burning tobacco either. Personally, I hate them as I find nicotine without the other alkaloids in tobacco leaves me rather edgy. As far as health goes though, clearly a bit of nicotine vapour is way better for you than tobacco smoke.
  3. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

I hear that E-Cig liquid contains harmful traces of iron and other things.
  4. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

I think they are both equally bad for you and if you want to quit something then there should be no substitute for it. Quit completely!!! A good start for people who cant just throw away the nicotine but you are still holding onto the addiction and eventually you will want a little drag of the real thing again. Quit by giving up completely and the trick is not to think of it at all. Throw it away and tell yourself that you don't need it, either of them and forget that you were even a smoker to begin with.
  5. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I have to say that I agree with tasha. They are both equally bad for you and really one shouldn't substitute the one for the other or attempt quitting by going for e cigarette!

The one thing I don't particularly like about the e cigarettes is that I feel that there is just no limit to them, with the tobacco burning cigs you have restrictions and rules around smoking them. There is no ways you can just smoke anywhere and anytime so there is a limit to how many you do smoke especially when you are in public areas. Unless I am wrong with electronic cigs you don't have any limitations! That to me is a red flag. My motto is, if you want to quit then just go ahead and do it, face the music as hard as it is and just go for it in the most natural of ways.
  6. Beautyspin

Beautyspin Active Contributor

I wouldn't go for E-Cigs as new studies suggest that they contain 15 times more formaldehyde than normal cigarettes which is a cancer causing agent. So not they are not safer. The nicotine itself is not so harmful it is just addictive. It is the rest of the stuff that is in the cigarettes that are harmful. So I would rather go for Nicotine patches or gum as they are better.
  7. Thank you for the useful information. It just seems like electronic cigarettes have come to be such a booming new enterprise after the employment of the smoking ban that I don't know why they aren't being regulated like cigarettes have been. I once read something saying cigarette manufacturers have to pass an exam that was something like FDA grade for their cigarettes to pass inspection. It doesn't seem like electronic cigarettes are scrutinized in the same way and I find trying to get more information about them a lot harder.
  8. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

When you puff on ecigs, you are not inhaling actual smoke, which is bad on your lungs, but I am seriously concerned about the chemicals contained in an ecig liquid because it is not regulated.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Ecigs are the lesser of two evils in my opinion. The saying of "is this better for you" is wrong in every sense. You still get a nicotene hit, but from what I heard and read cigarettes have other harmful ingredients that ecigs don't.
  10. What I've read before is that cigarettes aren't allowed to have additives put in them because of how they are regulated, just tobacco, a filter, and paper, which meets a certain specification...don't recall exactly the specifics. The chemical effects supposedly come from burning and inhaling the tobacco itself, but I could be wrong. It has been quite a while since I read on it.
  11. When I can I'm going to invest in a quality vapor. I have tried various e-cigs from gas stations. I've tried the blu brand and another brand I can't remember. For me they did not satisfy me enough to quit real cigarettes totally. In some instances I felt like it made me want the real thing.

There are some nice refillable vapors I have seen but haven't experienced. I feel my hold with cigarettes stems more from the act of it than the actual pleasure of nicotine. Although it is nice to feel that pleasure from the first after a significant time lapse. When I want to relax from the stresses of daily life I'm so accustomed to having something between my fingers that I can lift to my mouth, inhale and exhale. I'm hoping a quality vapor will finally help me quit the cancer sticks for good, along with other lifestyle changes.
  12. My fiance had a Blu e-cig that she used for a while to try to quit and I tried it as well, but it didn't really do it for me. It felt too differently than a real cigarette and I felt myself craving a real one instead of relief. I haven't thought of going for a fancier vapor e-cig because of my experience with those, but after reading this I may have to try. We have a couple of different choices of vapor shops where I live so perhaps I'll see if I can't sample something and see how I like it.

However, I whenever I posted this I was looking toward more options like quit smoking programs instead of just buying an e-cig or going cold turkey. Has anyone heard of any good programs?
  13. I recently tried a Blu e-cig after receiving one as a gift from my mother. I found that while they are not as harsh as regular cigarettes they did cause me to feel a bit edgy. A few days after I began smoking the e-cig I began having terrible sinus pain and dripping so I discontinued my use of the e-cig. It has now been over six months since I stopped using the cig, but my sinus problems have not gone away. I am becoming rather concerned as the pain has spread to my teeth, and the dentist could find nothing wrong. I am concerned that the chemicals in the e-cig did some sort of damage to my sinus cavity. If anyone has had any experience with this sort of problem after smoking an e-cig I would love to hear you stories!
  14. Coltodor

Coltodor Member

I heard that it suppose to be less toxic than a regular cigarette. There are still not a lot of research done on e-cigs. I suppose one should wait and see more research surface about it health impact.
  15. itsnotmeitsu

itsnotmeitsu Member

I really can't see any reason for e-cigs being anywhere near as harmful as traditional cigarettes. Literally thousands of chemicals are produced by burning tobacco, with vaping you're subjecting yourself to a few at most. You have your propylene glycol, a flavouring and nicotine. I don't cough like a smoker since giving up cigarettes, and I don't smell like one either! :)
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am not a smoker and have not tried e-cigarettes but read online about it. It is said that e-cigarettes contain harmful chemicals that could cause cancer. If that is true, both are harmful and should be avoided.
  17. itsnotmeitsu

itsnotmeitsu Member

There's a hell of a lot of misinformation regarding e-cigs. Of course, it's better to not be inhaling anything other than air but the potential negative effects have been vastly overstated in my opinion.

It's in the interests of tobacco companies to paint e-cigs in as worse light as possible because they are probably really starting to feel it in their wallets now
  18. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right that better to just breath clean air than tobacco/cigarette or the electronics cigarettes. :D
    Maybe you are right that those bad things about e-cigs are from the tobacco companies. Maybe those who are using the e-cigarettes could be live evidences whether it is bad or good, or how bad it is to use it.
  19. itsnotmeitsu

itsnotmeitsu Member

I know it sounds a bit 'conspiracy theory'ish, but it really does make sense. I don't buy too much into the latest zany anti-government things either, but I'm sure taxation plays a part too
  20. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

I finally gave up smoking after many years as this was the last of my vices. It was for stress and to remind me that it was healthier than anything else that has been in my system.
    I just decided that if I could give up other things that I felt controlled me, then why could I not just give up on the stupid cigarette that made me feel sick after smoking so many, made me smell like tobacco continuously and made everyone around me complain! Well I just threw them away and decided that it was time to call it a day with that too and for some reason I am not missing it, I don't crave one and the thought of having one makes me sick. I hope it stays that way and my moods are not that bad... Give up altogether, just throw the pack away and say that you don't smoke anymore and don't count how long you have done it for, just tell yourself that you don't smoke.