An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

e-cig

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by AAngelo, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I am actually trying to get my fiance into vaping, because vping is a little less harmful than smoking, but I am seriously hoping that after a while he might be able to quit smoking with this method. I don't feel like we have any other choice. He can't quit cold turkey and doubt the patches will work, but I will surely try with the patches first and see how it goes!
  2. I really think that that whole "healthier" than cigarettes claim was really just a marketing scheme to get people to start spending their money on e-cigarettes instead. I know a lot of people who are crazy about the stuff, its a collector thing. They spend a lot of time and money customizing their e-cigarettes with all the latest parts (I know nothing about the matter so pardon my ignorance if I'm saying anything wrong) Well anyway, dependency on anything is bad.
  3. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

It's probably not "healthy" for you at all! Honestly. I mean, inhaling chemical vapors just isn't natural at all. However, I think what makes the argument of it being "healthier" is that the belief may be the vapor is less harmful than the smoke. Less, not NOT harmful, mind you. It's important to keep that in mind but do your own research and form your own opinions.
  4. Kessen

Kessen Member

I tried to use e-cigs to quit smoking and all it really did was get me addicted to something else. Now I'm addicted to the e-cig instead of regular cigarettes...I guess the good thing is that I can't stand the smell or taste of real cigarettes anymore, but I doubt it is much healthier.
  5. SarahWorksAtHome

The new study in Tobacco Control [1] analyzed vapors from a dozen brands and also found some toxic substances, but at levels 9 to 450 times lower than in regular cigarette smoke, implying that vaping may be safer than smoking. Still, the impact of e-cigs on long-term health needs further study.
    The CDC also says it is not clear whether e-cigs help people quit smoking. Many e-cigs also deliver nicotine, so the gadget still keeps some people addicted. It is not clear whether e-cigs will help smokers decrease or increase their use of traditional cigarettes.
    There is also concern that electronic cigarettes could entice young people to try them, who would then get hooked on the nicotine. More research is needed. For now, trier and buyer beware.

So, until it's been another decade or so we won't know long term effects but they do seem slightly less harmful than cigarette smoke at this time.
  6. Anahap

Anahap Member

I tried e-cigs 1 year ago, and I ended up smoking both the e-cig and regular cigarettes. While smoking just the e-cig I did feel better, but the e-cig alone will not help you quit. You need ambition and willpower, and you have to quit it altogether.
  7. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

I think that e-cigarettes are even more addictive than typical ones.
    I did smoke an e-cig a few times, but never really felt the same joy as when smoking typical ones.
  8. SarahWorksAtHome

I'm just curious as to your reasoning behind thinking they are even more addictive than normal tobacco cigarettes. Is there something you've observed or read or just an opinion.
    I agree that they aren't exactly the same experience. I enjoy the flavor of the e cigs and vapes much more but they do not really replace the smoking for me.
  9. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/smoking-cessation/10-facts-about-e-cigarettes.htm
    There were many proven studies that say that e-cigs are more addictive than cigarettes, just search on Google.
  10. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It's still bad for yo no matter what. Leave it to other smokers to be a health professional and tell you that vapor is not bad for you. That is dead wrong.
  11. SarahWorksAtHome

Who's trying to be a health professional? Where'd I miss that?!
  12. 6up

6up Community Champion

Never try them, if you have never. If you are managing your past smoking habit, then continue with the spirit. E cigarettes have no benefits to your body so better avoid them before you can start using. Tell your friends how you are strugglingto completely avoid smoking.
  13. Dan86

Dan86 Member

The major plus for smoking E cig is the lack of tar, accelerants and other nasty things in normal cigarettes. The E cig is still addictive though and getting nicotine this way could lead you back to obtaining it the traditional route.
  14. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

I think one good thing about e-cigs (other than the delicious smell of the steam when it's fruity!) is that it sorts of changes the way you smoke. Like, if you have a bag of chips open, many people just have no problem finishing the whole bag because it's right there and it's open, right? And I know many smokers who just want a "hit" of nicotine, and then they smoke a cigarette for it. Because why would you not smoke the complete cigarette, right? But then some of them took up e-cigs and instead of smoking for as long as they did with cigs, they just took a few "puffs" every now and then, and not just keep "smoking" it just because they started. I think that's cool.
  15. Eashow10

Eashow10 Member

I do not think you can state that e-Cigs are less harmful, as many of them are not 3rd party tested. I know many people who have purchased "juice" online from China without any real quality assurance. The truth is we really do not know if they are more or less harmful because there is no long term research on the matter.
  16. Tremmie

I think I can, I get my info from really trustworthy sources :p Not just ''assumptions'' based on nothing. Those who buy liquid from china are doing it at their own risk, it's cheaper but is not being monitored by the FDA. So those don't really count do they?

At least not for USA residents buying the more expensive but safer liquid. Not even sure what the heck is in most of the things they make there... they are not monitored. I mean, a lot of their products have been recalled because they found lead. People who buy that kind of things from china are a different story, they are exposing themselves to who knows what chemicals.

As for the e-cig liquid... you can't compare the number of ingredients in it to the number of ingredients in an average cigarette. There are so many chemicals in a cigarette and they all undergo a transformation when burnt while smoking the cigarette, and then more chemicals pop in...
  17. Emerson_B

Emerson_B Active Contributor

I used e-cigs before and even those cloud chasing mods as we called them. It is true that it is not 3rd party tested and there is not much law restricting it or regulating it especially in other countries. I would say though that the liquids that are safe or lets just say they contents are as advertised then it would be safer than cigarettes. It did not do much for me though in the long run. It didn't contribute much to my quitting.

Anyway, the negative side to e-cigs is that since it is marketed as a better alternative, then it is also attractive to young adults. Even to those who are not smokers. So non-smokers get into smoking because of e-cigs as well. So instead of lessening the number of smokers, sometimes they would contribute instead.
  18. juanperez1990

juanperez1990 Active Contributor

Nicotine itself is not all that bad for you. Also, these e-juices come with as little as %5 nicotine. I am an ex-smoker and let me tell you, e-cigs are not addictive. They are not meant to be continuously puffed like cigs, they are too sweet for that, your taste buds will not allow you to chain vape for too long. They are meant for you to take a puff every now and then. You can start with the higher nicotine juices and work your way down to the %5 ones. Hell, nowadays I do %0 nicotine! Some times I go days forgetting I own an e-cig.

As for the price, they are not expensive at all. If you go to a smoke shop they will rip you off big time. You need to buy your stuff online, for as little as $25 dollars you'll have a decent e-cig that'll last a long long time. Put out an extra $25 and you'll have the real deal, the kind of e-cig that gives you huge amounts of vapor an flavor and of course a nicotine rush.

Personally I don't own an expensive one (They are called mods, big batteries that produce big heat essentially) I recommend the Vision Spinner II battery, it's only something like $15, and it matches perfectly with the Aerotank MOW. Which costs another $20 or so. Check it out. It comes in different colors. I have a black battery and black tank for nicotine free juice and a brownish one for nicotine juice. Whenever I get the urge for a cig I simply swap tanks. I also recommend you get two batteries. These batteries take about 4 hours to fully charge, you don't want your battery to die on you middle of the day and having to wait 4 hours. You can slip and smoke an actual cig in that time.
  19. Eashow10

Eashow10 Member

The FDA does not regulate juice. Here is a direct quote from their site:

"Only e-cigarettes that are marketed for therapeutic purposes are currently regulated by the FDA Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER). Currently, the FDA Center for Tobacco Products (CTP) regulates

• cigarettes,
    • cigarette tobacco,
    • roll-your-own tobacco, and
    • smokeless tobacco.
    FDA has issued a proposed rule that would extend the agency’s tobacco authority to cover additional products that meet the legal definition of a tobacco product, such as e-cigarettes. FDA’s Extending Authorities to Additional Tobacco Products webpage offers more information on the proposed rule."

Basically do not make a therapeutic claim and you can sell whatever you want.
    Source: FDA
  20. Tremmie

Exactly!

I was reading an article on that this morning, the article stated that according recent studies those young adults who use e-cigs are more prone to turn your average cigarette sooner or later. I just hate it how some people think e-cigs are so safe they can be used by teens without no consequences. I'd not let my teen use that crap... that liquid has far less chemicals than a cigarette, but they're still exposing themselves unnecessarily to those chemicals.

Most e-cig juices come with only 4 ingredients (yes, it's nothing compared to the number of ingredients found in a cigarette), the only chemical I worry about in that small list is ''Propylene glycol'', because when it heats up there is a chemical and Formaldehyde is released just like it happens when you smoke a cigarette, but with a cigarette the list of toxic chemicals multiplies. It's horrible teens are using that crap.