An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

e-cig

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by AAngelo, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

The FDA is working on regulating tobacco products in general, but that doesn't make cigarettes any safer, right? I stand by what I said earlier, people who buys e-cig juice form other countries do so at their own risk. I don't know about the US, but in the European union companies who manufacture this kind of products need to follow strict regulations. Take as an example the food industry; in Europe they have banned already a lot pesticides that are still being used in the US: Glyphosate, atrazine, neonics, paraquat, etc.

I am guessing that in the US the manufacturers of e-cig juice do have to conform to certain safety and quality controls, right?

By the way, e-cig juice is supposed to only contain 4 ingredients: Propylene glycol, flavoring, nicotine and water (NO IDEA about the ones coming from outside the European Union). How can that compare to 580+ ingredients in a cigarette that together when lighted up (thanks to a chemical reaction) can create more than 4,000 chemical compounds... many of them known to cause cancer.

With e-cigs... well, Propylene glycol when it heats up is supposed to release Formaldehyde. But the same happens with cigarettes. Also Acetaldehyde and Acrolein pop in, these 3 are also present when you smoke a cigarette. This of course can't compare in anyway to those 4,000+ chemicals created when you smoke an average cigarette. I don't see how, really.
  2. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

As far as the expense, you can put a bit of money down for a cheap one with cheap refills that saves money in the long run. But if you smoke it all the time I could see it becoming an addiction again.
  3. juanperez1990

juanperez1990 Active Contributor

Then get %100 VG juice. Even vaping PG should cause no concern, really. We inhale worse chemicals when using air fresheners . No big deal.
  4. Tremmie

Nah, I don't like that stuff and never have, odds are I never will. I'm just here for my fiance who is a smoker, I've tried to convince him that vap him is better for him than smoking those cigarettes... at least for a bit while he managed to quit smoking for good. I prefer him to vap over smoking that crap.

By the way, you can also find Propylne glycol in many personal care products, but it shouldn't be a problem unless exposed to high temperatures. So yeah, we are being exposed to a lot dangerous chemicals on a daily basis...

VG sounds like a good idea, specially if you are really into organic juice... but sadly the demand for PG-based e-cig juices is bigger.
  5. juanperez1990

Most juices come in %100 VG versions! You might have to buy them online though. The downside to VG is the thicker juice will kill the coils quicker, but those are cheap anyhow. Still beats spending 7 to 15 dollars a day in cigarettes.
  6. Tremmie

Really? That is good to know! I heard a lot people preferred PG, for the same reason you mentioned. I guess I now know what I am going to give him next Christmas :) By the way... were you ever a smoker? And if you were... how did you quit?
  7. juanperez1990

I was a smoker from age 14 to age 22. I quit cold turkey because at the young age of 22 I was having trouble keeping up with other people at sports, including older men in their 30s! Also I got to the point where it disgusted me to smoke but I just needed it. After I got over the first two weeks, which are the worst, I still had bad cravings and I decided to give the e-gic a try. It helped and I've been vaping ever since.
  8. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Any thing that feeds the nicotine fix will keep you wanting it. The idea is to wean yourself off of what you don't want to be addicted to. Still you have to do lesser and lesser until it's none at all. Those e-cigs are like vaping, which I thought would be safer, but I guess not. All I can say, if quitting is the ultimate goal stay focused on that. Good luck.
  9. Tremmie

Wow...! 14?? Did you happen to find a box full of cigarette packs like I did when I was 8? I found one when I was 8, I smoked some, glad I didn't like the stuff that much. So sorry to hear about your bad health back then, but I hope it has improved ever since you quit. Thanks for sharing your story, I think I'll suggest the e-cig approach to my fiance, I very much prefer him to vap than smoke those poisonous cigarettes. Kudos to you for going cold turkey on the cigars, I heard is not an easy thing to do at all!
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  10. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

I've heard of these so called ecigs before, but actually managed to put my hands on just one before. Honestly, I have no idea what people like about them. Sure, the flavours might be pleasant enough and also cater to a very big majority of people, but they still contain nicotine which, guess what, is the reason you're still addicted to cigarettes. I pretty much think you're lying to yourself by smoking ecigs. It won't do much good, but again, I've only smoked from one once in my life, and that was barely.
  11. movingforward1

movingforward1 Active Contributor

I used an e-cigarette briefly. I got it through the Avail company. The novelty of both the device and the flavored vapors got me to use it for about a month. Eventually, it began to burn my throat. Cigarettes won out ultimately in my nicotine addiction.
  12. michaelrydell

michaelrydell Member

Does anybody know of an e-cig especially good for long time dedicated smokers? Talking like 20+ years. I've tried a couple of brands but they only buy me a few minutes from the real thing, and are very weak. Are there any that sort of punch the throat and chest like full flavored real cigarettes do?