An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

E-Cigarettes Linked to Lung Disease

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Joyner, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Joyner

Joyner Member

Has anyone seen the recent articles about e-cigarettes linked to lung disease? There is also a current class action lawsuit in progress, since some of the companies promoted e cigarettes as a safe alternative to smoking. I just wanted to make sure others knew in case you were looking at e-cigarette as a method of quitting the habit. The Wall Street Journal published a full profile that main e-cigarette ingredients are tied to "popcorn lung" cell growth and polyps. In short, it's best not to inhale foreign substances if you can help it. Hopefully this can help others make informed decisions about quitting. I know it's easier said than done.
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have read short articles like that somewhere in the net. I think it will be best to totally quit smoking whether it is e-cigs or traditional cigarettes. That way one can totally avoid those illnesses and side effects.
  3. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I am not sure that ecigs are as bad as regular cigs...but I don't think they can or should promote themselves as a healthier alternative. There is just too little known about long term effects. The best thing is that they have fewer obboxious side effects. The smell is better, you don't burn holes in anything. but no doubt quitting everything is better for people.
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I don't think people will quit smoking e-cigs because of this. I mean, people already smoke regular cigarettes despite knowing the harm they do to their body, this is worthless for avid smokers.
  5. Joyner

Joyner Member

True, but I keep hearing some people say they might turn to e-cigarettes, as if those are a harmless alternative. This is sadly not the case. It's better to find a way to wean off of smoking and the nicotine altogether, rather than trying to turn to something that isn't even "satisfying" and is just as bad anyway. I hope it helps someone make a better decision.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I didn't know that, thanks for sharing that info to us. I agree that with all the health hazards being openly seen, I doubt it would deter heavy smokers from smoking, unless they are really motivated to quit.
  7. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I saw on the news that e-cigarettes had exploded on some people. There were some people last year who had there e-cigarettes explode when they tried to recharge the battery with the wrong chargers. This is more of a serious concern. Check out this video-->
  8. 6up

6up Community Champion

There long term effects are suggested to be more lethal than expected. Many think that they are safe since they don't know their long term effects. They should not be taken as an alternative to smoking cigarettes until we know the real truth about them.
  9. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I read about this a long time ago and to be honest this made me question whether I should gift one of those devices to my fiance or not. I want him to stop smoking and I know for him it'd be really hard not to smoke... mostly because of his habit, but after reading this I am not so sure. I know cigarettes are doing more harm than e-cigs will ever do to him, but this whole exploding e-cig made me really worried...
  10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I talked about this with a lot of people. I came to the conclusion that you don't really get rid of the addiction by turning to e-cigarettes, it's just a different thing you keep in your mouth. While it's a little bit healthier it's still really bad.
  11. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

This will sound strange, but I'd rather take my chances with "traditional" smoking devices like cigarettes and pipes, than use those e-cig things. They operate at very high temperatures, and this creates some weird and wonderful chemicals which you should never be ingesting into your body.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I had read a little about it - I feel like it's fairly new technology and maybe we won't know all of the detriments of it until people have already been using it for a while. I honestly think that it's better to quit completely than substitute cigarettes with e-cigarettes as you're really just replacing one addictive behaviour with another.
  13. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

Most of them have 2 to 3 known carcinogens and of course the nicotine. Cigarettes have about 7,000 deadly toxins vs the 2-4 deadly ones in the electronic version. It doesn't matter if they are safer. 1 deadly toxin or 7,000, it is still deadly toxin. They are a drug delivery system that delivers poison into your body. They are addictive and still contain the harmful addictive drug that is the primary issue to begin with. They shouldn't be used or advertised as a quitting method.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Electronic cigarettes are no doubt harmful, but in a way I see them as the lesser of two evils. I'm a smoker myself but ask any smoker and they DO want to quit totally, myself included but some find it too hard.

I've known a lot of people that have switched to e-cigs and then gradually cut down from there and now they don't smoke anything at all, so in some circumstances I think they do work.
  15. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

The use of e-cigarette is still in it's infancy, there haven't been enough experiments done to draw any real conclusions. The thing is that many health problems people develop, is from the nicotine from regular cigarettes, in the case of e-cigarettes the nicotine is still present. So even though they might be cleaner they still will cause health problems in the long run.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  16. pwarbi

There's definitely going to be health issues no matter what you smoke, I think people have to remember that but at the same time, if it's a case of inhaling 200 toxins or 1 then it's obviously better to go with the 1
  17. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well obviously it is better to smoke nothing at all, but yes, I do see ecigs as a lessor evil. They are certainly less harmful to those who may be around the smoker. It is one of the things that individuals can do sometimes to taper down their smoking use and it can be helpful and productive to get this out of your lungs as quickly as possible.
  18. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Well it's kind of obvious that e-cigs are not good for your health. After all, you're inhaling a foreign substance that goes into your lungs which are not used to that. Avoiding any kind of smoking is preferable, but for those who can't do it, electronic cigarettes are a better option than regular ones. But these have their dangers as well.
  19. pwarbi

I think at the end of the day, the ecig manufacturers never said they was 100% safe. They said they're a lot safer than normal cigarettes and that IS proving to be the case.

For those that are trying to give up but can't, it's another option and another way to try and give up and that can only be a good thing.
  20. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

Do not think ecigs are as dangerous as regular cigarettes but better be safe than sorry and avoid them all together.