An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

E-Cigarettes Linked to Lung Disease

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Joyner, Dec 31, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Well it stands to reason that the most sensible thing to do is to avoid them altogether but if it was as easy as that, then in this day and age, nobody would smoke in the first place.

The only reason people turn to ecigs is to try and help them stop smoking in the first place and while they do still cause some harm, it's certainly not as much as a real cigarette does.
  2. rEEzytheKiD

rEEzytheKiD Active Contributor

I didn't see any follow up to this post but there are only two reasons an e-cig would ever explode. 1. Battery safety: Always make sure that the e-cig is using a quality battery and at a sane level of power and 2. Battery safety: Know where you're getting your products. Some vendors don't see these devices being used to help with quitting cigs but as a quick buck in a booming industry.
  3. pwarbi

When you say about some vendors just seeing the e-cig craze as a way to make money, I think thst's exactly what it is to most of them.

They just see this as the next big fad, and a way for them to go and earn a few extra quid.
  4. rEEzytheKiD

rEEzytheKiD Active Contributor

Exactly. I'm lucky enough to have found two shops and they are both in the fight to get people off of cigs. It may be the lesser of two evils but that other evil is an industry that makes billions every year for something that is guaranteed to cause some sort of health problem.
  5. pwarbi

It's certainly the lesser of two evils but that seems to be something that people don't understand.

Exits aren't the answer to people stopping smoking, but they are a stepping stone and they do help people quit gradually and that's the only way that some people are able to.
  6. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Аsidе frоm соnсеrns аbоut е-сigаrеttе usе аnd еmissiоns аlоnе, саlls tо thе nаtiоn’s pоisоn сеntеrs rеlаtеd tо е-сigаrеttе еxpоsurе pоisоnings аrе rаpidly inсrеаsing, ассоrding tо dаtа rеlеаsеd by thе Сеntеrs fоr Disеаsе Соntrоl аnd Prеvеntiоn (СDС). Оnе study fоund thаt whilе mоst саlls invоlving е-сigаrеttе liquid pоisоning саmе frоm ассidеntаl ingеstiоn оf thе е-сigаrеttе оr its liquid, аbоut оnе-sixth оf thе саlls rеlаtеd tо sоmеоnе inhаling thеsе itеms. Еxpоsurе thrоugh thе еyе аnd thе skin wеrе аlsо rеpоrtеd
  7. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Exactly the main question is if people are still going to smoke, are e-cigarettes healthier then regular cigarettes. If they are and they do help people stop taking in nicotine they should be shown to do this.
  8. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I have not heard about ecigarette explosion or ecigarettes linked to respiratory related disease. I have been a smoker in my teen days, but my tryst with smoking happened for a short time. I was trying cigarette in order to quit another kind of tobacco addiction. I never tried ecigeratte, but I thought it was safe for people who cannot quit smoking but want to use something that is less harmful.
  9. Kathy Reiter

Kathy Reiter Member

As a long term tobacco smoker, I have often wondered about the safety of e-cigarettes. I actually tried them when they were first available but didn't find them as satisfying as tobacco. I am hearing they are more like an actual cigarette now. I am now trying to quit smoking again and am again considering trying e-cigs again. I have heard the cons of e-cigarettes, but I do have to wonder if the effects are better or worse than smoking tobacco. I've got to believe it would be better than smoking. At least other people aren't affected in any way.
  10. pwarbi

And that's been my issue for a while now. If they are proven to be healthier then they should be promoted more than what they are, but of course the government don't get as much tax out of these, and I think that's one of the reasons they won't be.
  11. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I hope it's not true. I think e-cigs and vapes are a much healthier alternative to cigarettes. It would be a bummer if we find out it's linked to lung disease. I guess inhaling anything wouldn't be all that great for your lungs.
  12. Joethefirst

As soon as there are more people using them the government will not forget to increase taxes on these products. It's still early days but I agree if they are healthier they should be shown to be so.
  13. pwarbi

Maybe that's the main concern that the industry has when it comes to the products being tested. At the moment there's no concrete proof either way, so the prices can be set reasonably low. If it it's found out they are a lot healthier, the government will soon raise the taxes.

Then of course what happens is people stop buying them as they become too expensive, or the companies have to then bring down the price, making a mark on their profit margins at the same time.
  14. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

This may be a case of one extreme to another. This revelation is now putting a damper on expectations of an a safe alternative to the smoking of the cigarette. This is not the only problem that is attributed to the e-cigarette. I have seen footage on a television newscast where an e-cigarette exploded and caught fire in a man's pocket and a fire extinguisher had to be used to put out the fire, it was suggested that the e-cigarette contained a combustible substance.
  15. pwarbi

There's certainly more and more evidence coming out to suggest that e-cigs or vaping stent the safe method to quit smoking that we originally all hoped they would be.

The sooner research is carried out and the exact facts can be established, the better from my point of view, then at least we can make an informed opinion.
  16. Theboysmom04

Theboysmom04 Member

E cigs are mostly a "please everyone" solution. Smokers can smoke in places they normally couldn't and no one inhales second hand smoke. Popcorn lung is caused by inhaling diacetyl a flavoring agent. This ingredient is also found in microwave popcorn hence the name "popcorn lung". E cigs are new so I'm sure in time companies will find a way to remove this ingredient. Though they aren't necessarily safer there are definitely many pros to smoking them over the real thing.
  17. pwarbi

Here in the UK, ecigs and vaping is placed mostly under the same restrictions as smoking cigarettes is. Most places say that vaping inside is illegal and so they have to go into the designated smoking areas.

I think your right though, and the longer vapes and ecigs are going, the safer they will become.
  18. Villiam

Villiam Member

It seems that most teens do not want to accept that there could possibly be any kind of negative side effect with E-Cigs. They just won't accept it. It reminds me of years ago when people began to realize that the large corporations were funding campaigns to convince people that there were no harmful effects with regular tobacco cigarettes
  19. pwarbi

I don't think it a that they won't accept it, it's just that it hasn't been proved yet. We don't know what the harmful effects are but with cigarettes we definitely do.

People think or believe that e-cigs aren't as bad as cigarettes and will do until it's proved otherwise I think.
  20. Joethefirst

There will always be articles in favor of vaping and others that will go against vaping. Just as long as the person feels comfortable doing it. The best way to get around this is still to quit smoking.