An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

E-cigarettes May Be Just as Addictive as the Real Thing

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by deanokat, Jul 28, 2015.

1. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

According to a new study, electronic cigarettes may not be such a great alternative to regular cigarettes.

"While electronic cigarettes, commonly known as "e-cigs," have a reputation as a tool to help smokers quit, new research suggests they may be just as addictive as traditional cigarettes," the study by the American University of Beirut found.

The research team tested "commercial samples of the liquids made for e-cigarettes. The results of the study, published in the American Chemical Society's journal Chemical Research in Toxicology, found that 'free-base' nicotine--believed to be the only kind that gets absorbed by the body, making it the most addictive--was the most commonly used."

You can read the entire article about this study at this link:

E-cigarettes May Be Just as Addictive as the Real Thing

Source: CBS News
  2. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Of coarse, it has nicotine. I think it's widely accepted that nicotine is insanely addictive. But unlike cigarettes, e cigs aren't chalk full of carcinogens and other drugs other than nicotine.
    missbishi likes this.
  3. juanperez1990

juanperez1990 Active Contributor

There is nicotine free juices. The whole idea is to start with high nicotine juices and work your dosage down to nothing.
    missbishi likes this.
  4. JadeVengeance

JadeVengeance Active Contributor

I did not find my e=cigarette as addicting as a cigarette
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Even I do not smoke, I think that e-cigarettes are also addictive whether in higher or lower level than the traditional cigarette. There are also some findings that e-cigarettes contain chemicals that are harmful on some articles online although not sure how accurate are those.
  6. 6up

6up Community Champion

You must avoid e cigs if you have never tried them. They can be as addictive as real cigarettes. Their long term effects have not yet been known. And if they are addictive, they can make you waste a lot time smoking.
  7. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

Actually, E-Cigs are not as addicting as an actual cigarette. The only thing equivalent in both items is the level of addiction which the nicotine brings. Cigarettes are not only nicotine based. They have over 100 other chemicals which assist in the addiction. There is no way that E-Cigs are going to be as addicting unless they add the 100+ other chemicals with the nicotine.
    missbishi likes this.
  8. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

This is an interesting concept. I can certainly imagine that the electronic cigarette would be just as addicting as the tobacco cigarette. After all it is the nicotine in the tobacco cigarette that is the addicting part, it is not any of the additives that go into the cigarette. I think it is a bit safer to use an electronic cigarette because there are no additives like tar and other carcinogens. If I am to pick up smoking again, I would pic up electronic cigarettes. I think they are safer in more ways than health hazards. Electronic cigarettes cannot cause fires. They are also more economical.
  9. Liv6

Liv6 Member

E-cigarettes definitely are addictive in my opinion as I have used them before. However, it's nice to use to quit smoking and slowly lower the levels of nicotine in the juices that are being used in the e-cig. I am unsure as to whether the juices contain harmful chemicals, however. Does anyone know this?
  10. 13toomany

13toomany Member

All of you have some validity in your statements. I was a former smoker of over 40 years. I quit the tobacco cigarette and went to the e-cigarette. I started out with 10% nicotine so that I wouldn't be tempted to go back to regular cigarettes. After just a few weeks I went down to 2%, then down to 0% within the first 2 months. After that, I quit TOTALLY. I am thankful I did and didn't find the e-cig to be addicting at all. HOWEVER......my spouse tried the same strategy as I and he can't seem to put down the e-cig. He says he likes the different "flavors" of the e-cig. He is still at 10% nicotine so I'm not sure if it's the nicotine or just the habit of having "something" to smoke. I guess the debate will go on.
  11. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I guess this defeats the whole purpose. If e-cigarettes are suppose to be safer, than why would they be just as addictive? I guess people better stop smoking this too. There seems to be no safe alternative for cigarettes. One way or the other people are still trying to get there nicotine fix.
  12. Emerson_B

Emerson_B Active Contributor

I guess, that it all comes down to your will in kicking the habit, e-cigs may help but eventually it becomes the new habit that becomes hard to kick. I guess the addiction really depends on the person. I for one have been able to quit smoking using e-cigs and am on the way to 0 nicotine juices and I can say that I puff on an e-cig lesser and lesser as time goes by.

As for the chemicals in the juices, yes of course they can be harmful as they were really not originally made to be used that way. Think of glycerin in the form of a vapor or aerosol going into your lungs when it was made to be used for lotions and other purposes. Or of propylene glycol which is an antifreeze. Eventually there will be a side effect. But summing up all the other chemicals that come with a cigarette, I think that e-cig may be the lesser evil.
  13. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

This kind of reminds me of how heroin addicts who are treated with methadone tend to then get addicted to the methadone. It has the same substance you were already addicted to, just in a smaller dose. This is the same thing. It's trading one addiction for another.
  14. 13toomany

13toomany Member

@sonia11 you are NOT far off of your analogy of the two I'm afraid. And if and when they start taxing the e-cigs (which they WILL do), then they will come up with something different to become addicted to.
  15. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

I didn't enjoy e-cigarettes but some people do swear by them. I tried one for one of my quit attempts but found I would sit at the computer puffing away on it. Eventually that made me feel a bit sick (I guess because it was a lot of nicotine!). Normally I only smoke outdoors but because it was an e-cigarette I was smoking it anywhere. After I realized it was making me feel unwell I stopped using it. I didn't use one at all for my final (successful) attempt.

They definitely work for some people though! I haven't met any one addicted to them from what I can tell. They tend to switch from cigarettes, to e-cigarettes and then eventually just wean themselves off entirely.
  16. gr8hoops21

gr8hoops21 Member

I have a friend who smokes e-cigarettes and I am totally against them. I think that they are just as bad as the real thing. My friend is totally against real cigarettes but then will go and smoke his e-cigarette with nicotine flavoring. It does not make any sense to me. I think that cigarettes should be illegal just because of what they do to you and if that is the case, so should e-cigarettes. I believe you can become addicted to e-cigarettes just as easily as normal ones. You can honestly become addicted to anything. Personally, I am addicted to working out. If I can be addicted to working out, you can definitely be addicted to e-cigarettes.
  17. 13toomany

13toomany Member

@singingintherain you are 100% correct! Because you can "smoke" the e-cigarette anywhere, you are more likely to abuse it by using it excessively, therefore taking in MUCH more nicotine that you normally would if you were restricted as to where you could smoke. I have noticed however that many public places are also banning e-cigarettes as well!
  18. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

From my understanding you are still getting the nicotine hit like before, but it is conveniently in a vapor form now. So that means you won't be making non smokers mad. It's still early to see the long term effects on the human body, but I suspect that it won't be as bad as regular cigarettes because of the fact there are less chemicals used in it's creation.
  19. hoverman

hoverman Active Contributor

This is a pretty interesting discussion - I created a thread about 'substitution' as a means to recovery, and whether it's actually addressing the issue, or whether it's just shifting the problem. I personally seem to think substitution can be a fine line to walk - it can work but needs highly motivated people and strong support behind it. In the case of e-Cigarettes, I think it's just another variation on a theme - in this case nicotine patches, gum, spray, etc.

Fascinatingly enough, I read that research has shown the act of preparing for an addictive activity, activates the reward pathways in a similar manner, comparable to the ingestion of the actual addictive substance. For example, IV drug users find a particular location for injecting plays a large component to the ramp up to a 'hit' and the pleasure experienced. When they return to that place after abstaining, they suddenly get enormous cravings despite trying to quit.

Perhaps it's a similar circumstance with e-Cigarettes, in that because we're reinforcing the 'smoke' behavior, we're actually setting up the user for failure??