An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

E-Cigs 95% safer...

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Sparkster, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

A few days ago, a health expert featured on the UK'S BBC News television show to speak about concerns over the use of e-cigarettes. There has been a lot of controversy lately over whether e-cigarettes should be prescribed on the National Health Service in order to help patients quit smoking tobacco. According to this expert, the most recent studies have shown that e-cigarettes are 95% safer than normal cigarettes.
    missbishi likes this.
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I saw those reports too. I noticed a lot of debate on "why should the NHS pay for people's habits?". I expect that if e-cigs can get more people to quit, the NHS will save money in the long term, less smoking-related illnesses to treat.
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

That is a good idea, because in the long run it will be beneficial for those heavy smokers, assuming that they would lose interest in smoking real cigarettes. My bro tried smoking e-cigs before, and he stopped smoking it after a while and smoked real cigarettes again, so smoking e-cigs will not guarantee that a person will quit smoking.
  4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I have heard of many quit smoking success stories that were possible thanks to e-cigarettes, what made me wonder why they began to be banned in some countries.

Hope the finding of researchers on this topic contribute to get developing smoking cessation programs in which e-cigarettes play an important role as nicotine substitution choice.
  5. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

It's too bad about all of these anti-smoking lobbyists. They just blow up on anything containing nicotine. What many people don't realise is that nicotine (and tobacco in generally) is not nearly as harmful as the traditional cigarette.
  6. Sparkster

I have to disagree. Nicotine is actually incredibly poisonous to humans. Nowhere near as bad as all the other chemicals that's in tobacco though (cyanide, formaldehyde, etc).
  7. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

There's a lot of controversy about this. There are people who say these are just as dangerous as regular cigarettes. On the other hand if you're vaping you get less of the harmful effects then actually smoking. I think people who just don't like the idea of smoking may have a biased opinion about e-cigs. If there are facts that can prove there safer then they have to be.
  8. Jamesbonner

Jamesbonner Active Contributor

of course it's much safer, but the only problem with me, I tried e-cigs to stop smoking but it didn't works with me, each time I smoke e-cig I still in need to real cigarette :(
  9. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think there are conflicting reports on E cigs. I have read some that they are even more addcitive as they are a more efficient nicotine delivery system, and the metals you inhale are toxic. I do think they overall they are safer because it is a water vapor product...but not even the manufacturers declare them as a safe alternative.
  10. Sparkster

Yes, there is a lot of controversy and there are a lot of conflicting reports about e-cigarettes. However, after multiple studies, lots of controversy and lots of speculation, this is the official end report on the efficacy of e-cigarettes, as officially confirmed by the UK government. They are absolutely adamant that this is the case, that they do not encourage youngsters to take up smoking/vaping and that they should be prescribed to smokers on the NHS. To be honest, in my own personal opinion, a large part of the damage done by tobacco/cigarettes is actually because of the paper and not the tobacco itself - of course, e-cigarettes do not use either tobacco or paper!
  11. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

First time I hear of this, always thought that e-cigarettes were safer than normal cigarettes, but not by much. This is actually a pleasant surprise and I do hope it's true. I've noticed more folks smoking these in my area and I've always been concerned about the health ramifications for smokers and those around them. I know how difficult it's for someone to quit smoking, at least if a smoker can switch to an e-cig it may just be a step in the right direction.
  12. Rory

Rory Active Contributor

That's always been my issue with e-cigs. The nicotine, which is also incredibly harmful, is still there. It's definitely the lesser of two evils, but it's still evil nonetheless.
  13. juno

juno Community Champion

They may be safer than regular cigarettes, however, it is not absolutely harm free. There is still nicotine as everyone else here has mentioned. Many people want to overlook this fact because it is seems like a easy switch. I think it is important to keep that in mind when someone is switching. Perhaps it can be useful in the aid of helping to quit but you don't want to just use it as an alternative thinking that it will not harm you.
  14. Sparkster

Technically, nothing is harmless. Not even water. Did you know that it's possible to die from overdosing on water and people have indeed died from doing so? It's called hyponatremia. Additionally, too much air is dangerous. Essentially, nothing is completely harmless. Not that I'm comparing e-cigarettes to water, of course! What about Sheesha? Sheesha is usually vaped and contains no tar or nicotine whatsoever and yet no-one seems to have mentioned it as an alternative to tobacco!
  15. soberjudge

soberjudge Member

It's certainly the lesser of two evils, not to mention the added benefits like it being cheaper, smelling better and being able to run again. But should it be free on the NHS? I don't think so. Maybe it's just me but I don't expect the government to fund my habits...
  16. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

E-cigs are in my opinion as bad as normal cigarettes. Now, they're healthier, cheaper and they smell better but it's still an addiction. You don't do anything good to yourself, just replacing an addiction with another. I understand some people are unable to quit, but this shouldn't be viewed as a solution.
  17. Sparkster

In that case, do you also think that heroin addicts should be made to pay for their methadone? Should alcoholics be made to pay for hospital treatment if their symptoms were self-inflicted (e.g. heart attack, liver failure, etc)? Should fat people be made to pay for hospital treatment if they have a heart attack? Besides, it wouldn't be free on the NHS anyway because everybody has to pay National Insurance which is used to fund the NHS - therefore their habits are not being funded for free. They have already paid for those services.

Your argument is kind of illogical. It's not replacing one addiction with another - it's still an addiction to nicotine but without all the other hundreds of carcinogens contained in tobacco and without the paper and without the smoke. Also, it's not viewed as a solution. It's viewed as a substitute which is nowhere near as harmful and can help smokers quit more easily. Cigarettes give off smoke and therefore carbon monoxide which is highly poisonous. E-cigarettes give off vapor, not smoke.
  18. jbepp

jbepp Active Contributor

E-Cigs are definitely safer, but I'm not sure if they actually help with an addiction. Sure, your body isn't getting the toxic ingredient from cigarettes, but it still depends on a specific thing to work properly. I'm glad they exist though, because e-cigs are definitely a step in the right direction.
  19. Sparkster

I suppose it could be could argued, in that case, that nicotineless cigarettes are a better option because they are not addictive. Many smokers can smoke a nicotineless cigarette and it works to alleviate their cravings. The fact that they don't contain any nicotine doesn't seem to make much difference, therefore it's doubtful that it's actually the nicotine that is the problem. They still satisfy the craving (even though they still contain other toxic chemicals).
  20. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I think we should reword his findings and say that e cigs or vapor is not as harmful as cigarettes and that it is the lesser evil of the two. "Safer" is not a word that should be thrown around. That would implicate safety in it usage to those with divided attention.