An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Early Experimentation with Alcohol

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by kgord, Sep 1, 2015.

1. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I remember vividly the first time I got drunk. I was about 10 years old and got into my parents liquor cabinet when they were away some where. They weren't really drinkers...but they had some cheap pineapple wine someone had given them. I drank that adding water to the bottle to make up for what I took and whatever else I could find in there. I got really room spinningly drunk...Thank God, I wasn't vomiting..but I took a bath and laid in my bed all night...and fell asleep. It kept me away from liquor for the next several years.
  2. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I can relate with you, when I started drinking alcohol I had really bad experiences, I used to get really really drunk and completely loose my mind of a couple of hours, it was really scary...I think that blackouts were one of my main reasons to stay away from alcohol too.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Like I mentioned elsewhere on the board, my family didn't think drinking alcohol was bad and every Christmas when we spent time in the country side they'd make moonshine and everyone, including the kids were allowed to drink as much as they could for a week. It was much later though when I was in high school that I learned I had an alcohol intolerance. Any time I'd drink [no matter how little the amount of alcohol consumed was], I'd end up in a hospital. And to avoid that . . . I had to keep my hands off alcohol.
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

My parents weren't heavy drinkers by any means but they did have the odd Saturday night when they would have a few and then go to my Aunt's house for the evening. The first time I tasted alcohol was on one of those nights. When they left to go there was still alcohol in the glasses they had been drinking so my sisters and I decided to mixed the drinks together. We thought that is what people meant by mixed drinks. lol I was about 9-10 at the time. Well w drank it..all I remember is that it tasted awful and I remember our cat talking that night..lol. It was many, many years after that before I ever had another drink. We never did tell our parents that story!
  5. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I didn't start drinking on a somewhat regular basis until I was around 18 or 19. Some coworkers of mine who were in their early 30's started inviting me over to hang out with them a few times a week, and we would pick up a bottle of (I'm not kidding, lol) Bailey's Irish Cream and drink it on the rocks. Once in a while we would opt for Pina Colada's instead. I can't believe I used to get hammered off that stuff back in the day. These days I could probably polish off a whole bottle of it and barely feel anything. I was actually more worried about gaining weight drinking that stuff moreso than getting too drunk.

Even stuff like Mad Dog, which was supposedly "strong" when we were in our teens, is like Kool Aid to me now - I could knock off a whole large bottle of that in like two drinks, lol.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

When I was around 9-10 years old, I took a sip of my father's beer when he wasn't looking. And the bitter taste of beer totally turned me off. I hated it. Honestly, I still don't like beer until now. I prefer rhum, brandy, and wine.
  7. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

The first time I got drunk I was by myself, and - as I intimated in another thread - I had three different kinds of alcohol. The first was vodka, too, so I started off real harshly. The night went downhill from there, until I wound up in the bathtub, trying to sober up. My parents weren't home that night, and didn't return until the next day, so fortunately I had plenty of time to kick the alcohol out of my system and become a functioning teen yet again.

That's the only time I've ever been wretchedly drunk. Since then I've been buzzed a handful of times, and on one Saint Patty's Day I came close to the edge. Wound up sitting in a bus terminal for a while in the latter case, waiting for the haze over my eyeballs to dissipate. Oh, such good times...
  8. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

I was very young as well when I first tried alchohol. My parents had addiction issues so drinking was all around me and considered normal. I remember getting ahold of vodka, mixing it with Summy Delight, and drinking it. I got pretty sick but continued to drink after that. I was a kid, I wanted to be like my parents. Of course, I didn't understand what addictions were and how harmful alchohol can be.
  9. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I never really developed an alcohol problem but one side of my family some of the men have had issues with alcohol. One of my uncles who was an extremely smart person couldn't hold a job..and his wife had to divorce him. He couldn't even walk his daughter down the aisle because he couldn't promise her he would be sober at the wedding..He eventually got sober but it took many years. I think they all started drinking very young, because their father modeled this behavior.
  10. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

When I was really young, I would drink a wine cooler or two, but it's not like my dad was handing them to me whenever I wanted one. I never drank that much, and my experimentation was mostly non-existent besides that. I'm one of those people that didn't drink much until I was legally able to, so I never really had the opportunity to develop a serious problem.
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I got drunk when I was 7 or 8, I think. My mom was an alcoholic, so I don't think I need to explain how I ended up getting drunk. Yes, my mom didn't make the best decisions when I was a kid, lol. I think it's pretty obvious. Fortunately I am now alcohol free :) I can now drink casually, but... I know I should be careful, because there is always a risk I might relapse.
  12. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Wow I have never heard of pineapple wine. This would keep any one away from drinking if you had a bad experience. I think a hangover is something that makes a person not want to drink for a while. I had a hangover once and it was a blower. Ever since then I made sure I never went to sleep drunk.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

You were really young that time and most probably got curious and tried it while your parents are away. ;)
    Good thing that nothing really bad happened to you and you were able to dislike alcohol for a long time.
  14. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think when trying this out at a young age can cause problems and also it is something which can make a person, who is in their teen years it can cause big problems later on. I think that we need to be aware of the people who we associate ourselves and also the drinks should be poured by us as some people can mix things, and that can cause more problems in the long run. It can be interesting to see what happens when trying the alcohol drinks in our young age as that is the time when we want to try it out, and taste it as well which may seem good in the mouth but the body can struggle with it.
  15. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

That's really odd. I also took a bath after my first time drinking, though I was older (16, I think? Can't remember now.) I wonder why that is. Is there something innately comforting about the bathtub that makes you think you'll feel better by going in there? Who knows.

The main difference with my first 'experiment' with alcohol is that I made the really dumb mistake of having multiple different drinks in a single night. Do not do that unless you really know what you're doing.
  16. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Ugh pineapple wine...
    It used to be popular I have not seen it in a long time.
    I started drinking cheap beer at the start of highschool cause everyone else did.
    I wish I never did!
  17. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Apart from the odd sip here or there of adults beers when I was smaller, the first time I was drunk was in my mid teens. It was a friends birthday and her parents had a big old liquor cabinet which she raided. They were oblivious to it - which surprises me looking back. I never want to keep alcohol in the house so freely - kids are inquisitive and if it's so easily accessible I feel like they're bound to sneak it.
  18. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

The sips I’d have of alcohol when I was pretty young, they made me think I’d never touch the stuff. Changed my tune when I was about 17 at a family party. My cousins loved their fruity mixed concoctions, and after trying my first two or three and getting a nice buzz going… I understood. Probably a little too well. That’s why, as I mentioned in another thread, mixed drinks were always my kryptonite.
  19. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I think my first drunken experience was when I was 15 years old. My parents had a barbecue and they left a cooler of beer out on the front lawn. My cousin and I were bored so we helped ourselves to it. I think it was all down hill from that point on.
  20. jbepp

jbepp Active Contributor

My first time with alcohol was when I was 14 or 15, it was at a family party and some cousins decided to show us how "mature" they were by drinking alcohol. I thought it shouldn't be too hard and it ended up tasting pretty bad. I didn't get drunk until I was 19 or something, that time was really bad.