An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Early Exposure to Nicotine Increases Addiction

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by R.L. McCullough, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Considerable literature reflects the supposition that the earlier in life one is exposed to nicotine, the more likely one is to become addicted to its effects, just as the earlier one is exposed to alcohol, the greater the threat of alcoholism pursuant to repeated substance exposure. While there may indeed be some underlying genetic influences, the literature provides contradictory evidence of households where adults are afflicted with nicotine addiction and children and adolescents in that household are not. Neither does the contemporary research point to gender as a basis for predicting nicotine addiction.

Considering the inability of prior research to do little more than support the ongoing stigmatization of abuse of addictive substances across the spectrum of stimulants on the grounds of race, gender, environment, genetics, behavioral anomalies, delinquency, and socio-economics, there is little wonder that the nutritional sciences are beginning to receive increased attention among researchers investigating the root causes of nicotine addiction. If those aforementioned issues are not the causes of nicotine addiction, as established by the failure of any conclusive determination based upon the research literature in that regard, the working presumption of underlying biochemical phenomena rises from the ashes.

The human corporeal experience is ultimately the product of biochemical activity within the body along a “metabolic pathway” where metabolites are subject to myriad chemical reactions driven by enzyme activity driven by dietary minerals, vitamins, and amino acid breakdowns. These chemical reactions are fueled by the digestive breakdown of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins, the molecular components of which enter the metabolic pathway. This tricarboxylic acid cycle and the chemical energy produced by it is fundamental to the efficiency of our individual metabolic functioning.

Insofar as these metabolic cycles are variable among phyla and species, there may be the potential for variability within a single genetic group, i.e., a family living in the same house. Individual biochemical imbalance, then, may be the determinative factor leading to nicotine addiction, pursuant to individualized hormone imbalances affecting neurotransmitter activity.

These underlying biochemical imbalances can be either exacerbated or mitigated by the nutrients provided to our individual metabolic pathway and its molecular processes (Hyman). Current nutritional research points to the efficacy of a diet focused upon the correction of those hormonal imbalances underlying dysfunctional neurologic activity which lead to nicotine abuse and the difficulties of overcoming its addictive compulsions. Because the same metabolic processes that break down carbohydrates, proteins, and fats providing the fuels and nutrients for the functioning of our motor and autonomous systems also provide the molecular power to drive our neurotransmitters, when we eat, we are feeding our brains as much as we’re feeding our “body”.
  2. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

There is no doubt that having been exposed to a substance like nicotine at an early age can contribute to an addiction in later life. Whether someone has a genetic disposition that is a whole other mater and still has to be further researched to come with a conclusive answer.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think it can work both ways, and just because a person is brought up around smoking, that doesn't necessarily mean they will start themselves.

I know a lot of people who are the opposite, and they can't stand smoking because their parents used to smoke and it contributed to their death or illnesses they had.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think it is more true for those who grew up in a household where there are smokers in the family. They get used to the smell and that could lead to early trial that could be out of curiosity or wanting to be a part of the group who is also into smoking.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

We all smoked as teens because it was the cool thing to do back in the 90s. Ot is not so cool now for teens and I rarely ever see a teen smoking these days. That is a step in the right direction. Part of this is probably cost related too.
  6. Mims

Mims Active Contributor

I believe being exposed to nicotine or any substance early in life does have a dramatic effect, but whether that is a positive or negative effect can vary. For instance, there are some children that grow up hating the parent that smokes, drinks, or snorts and strays away from the substance in the future.

Conversely, there are adolescents who smoke and drink simply because their parents did it and that makes it okay. I think more research is needed on this matter because the consequences are easily seen from an anecdotal perspective, but actual studies from a large sample would be more accurate.
  7. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

My dad used to smoke and I did eventually too. I don't know if my dad smoking was the cause of that. But I do find it strange that my dad had to quit smoking because of health problems, and I stopped later in life because of health concerns also. Maybe smoking may influence there kids to do so, but have seen some cases where it hasn't.
  8. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I was exposed to it as early as anyone could be. I'm not a smoker. They come up with all sorts of information for whatever purpose. I think it is all situational.
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I've known kids whose parents are smokers and most of them I remember did some experimenting while they were still very young, didn't like the "taste" and as they grew older they got to hate cigarettes. I believe that if the kids are led to believe that smoking is relaxing or cool then if they believe the lies they'll end up being addicted. However considering the fact that smoking isn't considered "cool" any more early exposure doesn't necessarily increase the risk of addiction.