An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Early intervention

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by remnant, Apr 8, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant Community Champion

The battle against addiction should copy from the two principles of classical combat, offense and defense. The best offense in this case is to launch early and timely intervention programs in school going children. Some come from families or neighbourhoods where drug abuse is being practiced. Debriefing should be done in school and children educated on the dangers of drug abuse at an early age. Reinforcement should continue throughout their studies.
  2. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Like they say, prevention is better than cure. If we can just prevent kids from getting hooked or getting their hands on addictive substances, then there won't be any need to cure addiction because it would be nonexistent. If only it were that easy. We can only hope that the intervention that will be employed will be effective.
  3. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

I agree that education is important, however the DARE program has been in schools for decades and has been proven to have had no positive effect. I think a lot of times these programs use scare tactics that kids ignore, or exaggerate things and kids end up not believing anything they are teaching.

Also, I do believe it is a natural compulsion for many people to experiment with substances, we even see it in the animal kingdom, so I even if we all had a perfect education on these matters right off the bat, I think we'd still have addiction.
    Mara likes this.
  4. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yeah, I think people seem to have an inborn need to alter their consciouness. Lets face it life is often difficult and a struggle for some more than others. Even when thinks are OK, people still tend to get bored, so I am not sure we can ever eradicate substance abuse entirely. It just seems like some people have a real need to use mind altering substances whereas others do not.
  5. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I think it is very natural to want to alter your consciousness. Just look at yoga and meditation. People are trying it without drugs all of the time. The problem is when people do it for fun with drugs and end up hooked on them and they become strain to society.
  6. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

Everything begins with children. It's important to get them off the streets as well. Making sure they hang around the right crowd is very important as kids sometimes won't know the difference.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While I'm not saying that education is going to cure everything, because it isn't, but it's a start and a lot of people who start taking drugs, genuinely font know of all the dangers.

They might know bits, but when they first start taking something it's just a bit of fun and no harm, but that changes quicker than they'll realise. They don't know that though, because they haven't been told.
  8. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

This is very true, but some adults in some societies do not like to talk to school children about sex and drugs as if they are ashamed to say it. I feel when you avoid some talks, you are only endangering the poor children who are unmindful of their acts and the impact the society has on them.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

You're right and even in this day and age these are regarded as taboo subjects, but that needs to stop being the case.

How are the next generation supposed to move forward if they keep repeating the mistakes that previous generations have made, simply because we just don't want to talk about it?