New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Eating Disorder and Drug Addiction

Discussion in 'Dual-Diagnosis Treatment' started by sillylucy, Oct 18, 2014.

1. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

Has anyone dealt with a family member or friend who has both of these combinations? My friend was diagnosed with both and her family was thinking of finding a facility that deals with dual-diagnosis. Is this going to be pricier? So overwhelmed, but hopeful!
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hey sillylucy,
    Her family is one thousand percent correct. She's going to need help addressing both. I have a friend in recovery who still suffers from a severe eating disorder. She did not seek treatment for both, but both illnesses are life-threatening. Have her family call our rehab hotline 1-800-943-0566 for pricing info/dual-diagnosis treatment options.
    ExpertAdvice likes this.
  3. RakeMind4

RakeMind4 Active Contributor

Hey Luce. I've had quite the tumble with the eating disorder department, but never have had a serious drug problem. Lol, almost typed "drunk problem" there. Mea Cupla, I've been a drinker, but never considered it a serious problem.

But yea. The two dynamics are (interestingly) very similar, and I can see how they could overlap in certain cases. Your friend is in some hot water, and will probably (almost definitely), like Sunny says, need external help. She's probably also suffering quite a bit in that mind. I can at least, definitively say that it takes so much work, so much effort, to maintain an eating disorder. It eats you alive, heh.

So no matter how you look at it, it's going to be one long, hard, expensive road for her to get out of those straits.
    Joseph and Jen S. like this.
  4. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

Just wondering if they will treat both at the same time, seems like it would be real tough on the patient, I am hoping that they treat them one at a time.
  5. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

I had a student who was bulimic. She confided to me and I told her the only way she could get help was to inform her parents and together seek the appropriate medical help. She didn't have drug problem though, just that. But it surely was an expensive treatment because she had series of tests, doctors' consultations, treatments and after treatment follow up. It was worth the money and time though. It not only helped her recover but also paved the way to a closer relationship with her parents.
  6. JorjSimeonov

JorjSimeonov Member

I've never heard of someone with an eating disorder and a drug addiction at the same time. Sounds incredibly rough and I hope to God everything turn out alright ;\. As for the treatment - it should be a really good and trusted facility because it sounds incredibly tricky to overcome. Sounds likes it's very possible for one thing to trigger the other.
  7. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I myself have never heard of this case. Wouldn't that be a double whammy? For someone to already have a disorder and taking drugs at the same time, that's just alarming. Intervention is necessary for people in such a situation. Perhaps you can research about centers with a comprehensive rehab program (deals with disorders as much as drugs) and higher success rate.
  8. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Usually if there is a problem with alcohol or drug abuse, then there are other underlying problems too. Therapy is great to get down to what the actual problem or issue is and what caused the actions in the first place. It is important to find the source of the problem and rehab or therapy will help with that which can sort out both at the same time. All your friend has to do is open up!
  9. RakeMind4

RakeMind4 Active Contributor

The medical industry is generally overdone. I mean, there's alot of legal ramifications from not going overkill on everything (what if someone dies, and all that), and then there's also a financial motive. More tests means they can charge you / the insurance companies more.

I would argue that eating disorders are things you should just work out yourself, like I did, but I've known a girl who almost died from bulimia. She got all wrinkly and emaciated and everything lel. So I guess, obviously, that the whole "man up and figure it out" approach doesn't always apply.

But definitely, if you've got bulimia + drugs like whats her face mentioned: don't even play. Go get whatever help you can afford right away. That's like playing a game on legendary mode your first time through: it's like nobody can do that.
  10. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

I had a girlfriend that had this specific problem, bulimia plus pills addiction and the outcome was the worse...
  11. Sarah

Sarah Member

Jen S. and Joseph like this.
  12. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Glad to hear that you worked it out on your own. This girl couldn't help herself snap out of it because she had a deep-rooted sense of insecurity coming from a family of achievers while she wasn't according to her grandma who favored her cousins more. She was made to believe she was the ugly duckling being more on the heavy side when she was younger. She even wanted to achieve a thinner frame because she believed she was still huge when in fact she wasn't at all.
  13. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

Surprisingly enough, this is more common than you think, not just with eating disorders, but many mental healthy disorders. We have a new section in our "Resources" tab, that talks a little about Co-Occurring Disorders / Dual Diagnosis. Check it out if you get a minute, it's new, and we are always adding new resources to our database.
    Jen S. and Joseph like this.
  14. Peninha

There was a period with my life when I stopped eating, I ate very little, but after that my body like burst and I ate like an animal... To this day I can't explain why I passed for such a period.
  15. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I think everyone goes through active & inactive periods of eating, dieting, and starvation. I'm certainly no expert on these kinds of disorders, but I think that the most significant thing to realize is that if you are harming your body, or it has taken control of your life, it's time for help.
  16. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. She is going to a center for women in Illinois. I just hope that she gets the help that she needs. She is lucky to have parents who are financially able to help her. I know my family couldn't afford all of that.
    Nick W. and Peninha like this.
  17. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I don't think I've ever heard of this type of combination, but I think many people suffer from some eating disorder of some kind, whether they have any other problems or not.
    Good to read that this woman is getting help for her issues. It's always a good thing when parents can help out financially when one gets in a bind like this.
  18. Peninha

Yeah, that is a major advantage having someone who can afford the best care, either cases all lies on her will not, she has to fight for her life.
  19. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

Me, too. I am under the impression that his eating disorder was a symptom of his addiction in drugs. Either case, he will be needing a long, costly rehabilitation. Eating disorder and drug addiction are two different cases.
  20. Peninha

Yeah, I agree, it's not common to have these two problems at the same time, but usually drug addicts have an eating disorder, they can spend days eating nothing.