An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Eating Disorder and Drug Addiction

Discussion in 'Dual-Diagnosis Treatment' started by sillylucy, Oct 18, 2014.

1. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

An employee of my dad's had bulimia and smoked a lot. That is the best scenario I can think of . I usually don't hear cases where the two are related but I am not a professional.
  2. kariad28

kariad28 Member

My friend had an eating disorder. She started to make herself throw up every time she ate anything. I tried talking to her but she didn't listen. I knew she had issus with her weight. She then got pregnant and she knew that she could hurt the baby. She then got better and better each day passed she is now very healthy to this day. Also she used drugs to help her lose weight like cocaine but after she had her babies she never did it again.
  3. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

I am surprised to see that people think this is not common. It is common for those with ED's to also have drug/alcohol addictions. they may be to different issues but not at all uncommon to have both.
  4. mimsee

mimsee Active Contributor

I feel that when I was struggling with addiction I was also overeating to an extreme. I weighed over 350 pounds at the worst point in my life. Exercise saved my life. It helped me deal with both addictions at once and take care of my body physically as well.
  5. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Maybe it's because those with eating disorders try to replace food with drugs. It's a very dumb idea, but unfortunately very popular among those with EDs. And I think a treatment would be more pricey, but is money more important that health? I don't think so. It's a very serious problem which needs to be cured somehow. So go ahead.
  6. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

One may be the result of the other and it is important that the professional take this into consideration. I know of instances where individuals have issues with their image and as such they usually try to remedy this on their own and at times it is not done through appropriate measures, further compounding the problem.
    In cases like this individuals may get depressed and turn to drugs for relief, it is important to investigate the matter thoroughly to find which of the two is the primary which resulted in the secondary.
  7. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

Fortunately, no. I've had a few friends that were addicts, but no one I knew really had any eating disorders, or any that I am aware of. However, I have noticed that when they go through withdrawal, they're less motivated to eat. I feel like that it's a cause and effect situation more than a concurrent situation.
  8. Denise

Denise Member

I had a 7 year long battle with bulimia, I was addicted to drugs and alcohol for 17 years and have been diagnosed with several different mental disorders. Beem in 15 different psych hospitals, treatment centers. The bulimia stopped after I had a surgery to stop myself from ever throwing up again. It's been a really rocky road, like I have to have some knowledge kind of crutch to break up my life.
  9. juno

juno Community Champion

She should definitely get help addressing both. Each disorder can cause her to go back to the other. So, it is best to treat both at the same time. Many people turn to drugs, like cocaine, when the want to control their weight. So, drugs and eating disorders can definitely go side by side.
  10. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I had a friend who has had an eating disorder before. I really didn't notice that she wasn't eating for a long time, and after she ate she would almost instantly run to the bathroom. She was only able to eat when she was high as well, so I guess the two things went hand-in-hand. She's fine now, but that was a scary time.
  11. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

As difficult as it may be to treat both a drug addiction and eating disorder at the same time, both have to be treated at the same time or the one left untreated will intensify and leaving one untreated many times results in a relapse of the issue that is or has been treated.
  12. catherine_sky

catherine_sky Member

Multi-impulsive. Im guessing the ED is probably bulimia or related. Some diagnosis of ED is incredibly restrictive, therefore may not have this presentation, others will have the multi-impulsive behaviours which might include eating disorder, additions - of avarying kinds, self harm etc and can appear quite out of control. Im in the UK, so hopefully these type of issues are recognised and begun to be managed in a community setting within the NHS. Im guessing you guys dont won't have this particular service and will have to approach what you feel is the most detrimental issue. Depending on which type of ED behaviours are being exhibited and whether there is physical risks. Really hard, because over here, if this was an adult then I would be referring to addictions services an working closely with them in a dual capacity. In childrens services then it would be managed under one umbrella.
  13. Jil Diamante

Jil Diamante Member

Your friend should try a Dual Diagnosis Treatment at The Refuge. I heard it is the leading treatment program for men and women suffering with PTSD, substance abuse, and depression. The Refuge has built an international reputation for long-term trauma recovery by providing individualized treatment at each of its levels of care and utilizing holistic and experiential therapies.
  14. ProShell

ProShell Member

To a certain degree, we all go through phases of greater or lesser intensity in our diets and habits, but these are usually not destructive behaviors or excessive, and rarely repetitive.

If you are having a serious problem, I would suggest finding or starting a support group in your area, to help you discuss these issues in person with others that have gone through the same thing.

There are also resources available to help you with each problem individually.
  15. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Dual diagnosis. I don't know they make it sound so terrible by wording it that way. Eating disorders are common and caused by the crap they sell in stores. Magazines and television brainwash people into thinking they need to be perfect. Selling all the packaged garbage is not conducive to being perfect. Some of this stuff if you cut it out and eat real food. You will find your mental disorder is miraculously gone. Might not be that simple if you are on drugs for it. Detoxing that would need to happen.